Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Soon I will reunite with my KLR which is out of town. Taking stuff with me to keep up with maintenance. My bike has about 8 thousand miles, not a lot but quite a bunch.

Planning on checking soon the valve lash, would be its first time. Off course only upon taking the shims out I could know what is in there but since the bike is not over here I would only learn that once I am not here, so I am trying not to get a kit full of shims I may not need just yet.

My question, do KLRs come from factory with shims of a particular size so that I can calculate what 4 shims I should take, as opposed to it being random shim sizes ?

Trying to calculate what set to take as a result of making an educated guess as opposed to just guessing with a full set of shims that is costly and unnecessary ? Perhaps 6 shims would be ok to have as pool.

Might not need any just yet if lash is within specs but in any event having shims on hand is something sooner or later will be in need.

馃憤

Registered
the installed shims are of whatever size was needed to met spec during assembly.

if you don't want to buy an entire set i would suggest you take it apart to do the valve check and remove the cams to find out what is in there. then you can go get / wait for the shims or reassemble and ride it until you get the shims. once you figure out how to get the valve cover out, the whole procedure gets a bit faster.

with 8k miles i will suggest that you are long past due for a check, regardless of the numbers listed in the manual. it will also be a good idea to take a gasket for the cam chain tensioner, if you don't you will need it.

Administrator
My records for factory installed shim sizes for a couple of bikes show 260, 255, and 250. It would be an assumption that your would be in that neighborhood but it seems likely to me. Most times I have been able to reuse the exhaust side shims on the intake side and just replace the exhaust shims. If I was in your position I would pick up a couple 245 shims and cross my fingers. You might get lucky but as you realize the only way to know exactly what you need first time is to measure them. Worst case you get in the mid range of the spec and your next adjustment interval is a little shorter. At least you know what you will need.

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the installed shims are of whatever size was needed to met spec during assembly.

if you don't want to buy an entire set i would suggest you take it apart to do the valve check and remove the cams to find out what is in there. then you can go get / wait for the shims or reassemble and ride it until you get the shims. once you figure out how to get the valve cover out, the whole procedure gets a bit faster.

with 8k miles i will suggest that you are long past due for a check, regardless of the numbers listed in the manual. it will also be a good idea to take a gasket for the cam chain tensioner, if you don't you will need it.
Thanks for the reply. I will not be around motorcycle shops where my bike is so I'd prefer having what is needed in place rather than leaving my bike in open surgery. Perhaps my best option is getting a kit/set of shims.

Thanks for the heads up with the csm tensioner gasket, will get it as well.

Looking at a video on valve work on KLRs, saw there is an O ring for that vacuum pipe sitting on top of the valve cover, would that be a generic O ring ? Or a special rubber /heat resistant one ? Will get one of those just in case mine is not up to standards 馃憤

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In case of looking at a shim kit, which one do you guys recommend ? 馃憤

Adding some kits I see around :
(1)
This is what 3D Cycle offers:
Kit includes:
  • (1) 2.70
  • (1) 2.65
  • (2) 2.60
  • (2) 2.55
  • (2) 2.50
  • (2) 2.45
  • (1) 2.40
  • (1) 2.35
  • (1) Storage Box.
Shim kit $99.00

(2)
Eagle Mike has a kit, 12 shims at $10.95/ea. appears more expensive than the $99 one
This is what he offers :
((If you want a kit, order 12 shims, and then enter the word "kit" in the text area. You get 1 ea 270, 1 ea 265, 2 ea 260, 2 ea 255, 2 ea 250, 2 ea 245, 1 ea 240, 1 ea 235.))

Eagle Mike kit

3DCycles looks the better deal !

馃憤

Administrator
The problem with a kit is that you are unlikely to need any of the first four shims and, if you do, you already have them (to @klr4evr's point). In a kit, then, you are really getting 8 shims. And that's fine because they are usable shims, but it is unlikely that you will keep the bike long enough to use them. You kinda sorta paying a benjie for four shims. On top of that, you're likely to need 2 of them.

It's almost as bad as that gambling game where you put your money on the table, then a guy you don't know throws some dice and a guy with a stick sweeps your money away. If you do it enough times you get a free drink.

At 8000 miles I would doubt that you will need to adjust anything. Even if you do, it will probably be minimal enough to where you can put it off for a while. If you take the cover off, check the lash, then remove the shims to record what shim is where you can buy the shims you're going to kneed next and probably spend $20 rather then $100.

Registered
I'm case if looking at a shim kit, which one do you guys recommend ? 馃憤

Adding some kits I see around :
(1)
This is what 3D Cycle offers:
Kit includes:
  • (1) 2.70
  • (1) 2.65
  • (2) 2.60
  • (2) 2.55
  • (2) 2.50
  • (2) 2.45
  • (1) 2.40
  • (1) 2.35
  • (1) Storage Box.
Shim kit $99.00

(2)
Eagle Mike has a kit, 12 shims at $10.95/ea. appears more expensive than the $99 one
This is what he offers :
((If you want a kit, order 12 shims, and then enter the word "kit" in the text area. You get 1 ea 270, 1 ea 265, 2 ea 260, 2 ea 255, 2 ea 250, 2 ea 245, 1 ea 240, 1 ea 235.))

Eagle Mike kit

3DCycles looks the better deal !

馃憤
Several years ago most Kawasaki dealerships would trade shims with you . You essentially would bring in a shim to swap for the thickness you needed. The dealer near me no longer will trade shims and has none in stock to sell you. It usually takes a week or so to receive shims ordered from the dealer, so a Saturday afternoon project cannot be completed the same day. And for an impatient person like me, this is totally unacceptable. So I simply re-size my shims to the needed thickness. Most people turn their noses up at my home-made shim operation, but it's worked for me for over 25,000 miles.

So if you have a block wood, a flat piece of granite and sand paper you, too, can have the shim thickness you need in several ten minutes or so.

Jason

P.S.: I almost forgot; you also need and OD micrometer that reads to four decimal places.

Registered
Several years ago most Kawasaki dealerships would trade shims with you . You essentially would bring in a shim to swap for the thickness you needed. The dealer near me no longer will trade shims and has none in stock to sell you. It usually takes a week or so to receive shims ordered from the dealer, so a Saturday afternoon project cannot be completed the same day. And for an impatient person like me, this is totally unacceptable. So I simply re-size my shims to the needed thickness. Most people turn their noses up at my home-made shim operation, but it's worked for me for over 25,000 miles.

So if you have a block wood, a flat piece of granite and sand paper you, too, can have the shim thickness you need in several ten minutes or so.

Jason
I assume you sand off the number side so no one after you will be mislead.

Administrator
Thanks for the reply. I will not be around motorcycle shops where my bike is so I'd prefer having what is needed in place rather than leaving my bike in open surgery. Perhaps my best option is getting a kit/set of shims.
Sounds like for your situation getting a kit is your best option. Like @Tom Schmitz said you'll get shims you don't need and will never use. Convenience comes at a cost and I have to admit that waiting for shims to come into a dealer or in the mail can be frustrating.

Reactions: jaimesix

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem with a kit is that you are unlikely to need any of the first four shims and, if you do, you already have them (to @klr4evr's point). In a kit, then, you are really getting 8 shims. And that's fine because they are usable shims, but it is unlikely that you will keep the bike long enough to use them. You kinda sorta paying a benjie for four shims. On top of that, you're likely to need 2 of them.

It's almost as bad as that gambling game where you put your money on the table, then a guy you don't know throws some dice and a guy with a stick sweeps your money away. If you do it enough times you get a free drink.

At 8000 miles I would doubt that you will need to adjust anything. Even if you do, it will probably be minimal enough to where you can put it off for a while. If you take the cover off, check the lash, then remove the shims to record what shim is where you can buy the shims you're going to kneed next and probably spend $20 rather then $100.
lol Wish I read this before, already ordered the 3D Cycle kit, but no regrets, it is something that will be needed anyways. The EM kit is 12 shims for $131.40 versus the 3D for $99.00 At least got the best deal 馃憤

Will check the lash and check what is in there, 馃憤馃憤

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Jason

P.S.: I almost forgot; you also need and OD micrometer that reads to four decimal places.
The kind of thing I'd like to try, but since I would not want to be stuck with an open surgery on hand who knows how long while waiting for parts, I will take some on me, I think it is the 3D kit, more the $34 bucks savings over the EM kit. At least I know I did take the best deal 馃憤

Thanks

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like for your situation getting a kit is your best option. Like @Tom Schmitz said you'll get shims you don't need and will never use. Convenience comes at a cost and I have to admit that waiting for shims to come into a dealer or in the mail can be frustrating.
Definitely.
And following on Norton's great advise if I ever need other sizes not on hand in that kit I can use the larger sizes never to be used again and turn them into the right sizes. 馃憤

Premium Member
2018 KLR650

This is what I did with mine. I had to wait about three weeks for my replacement shims. I rode the bike almost everyday in the interim.
I did break the gasket on the cam chain tensioner, so having a spare on hand is also good advice.

As Tom pointed out on a different thread, it is quite possible that some of the shims can be replaced with shims from other of the bike's valves. This was the case with my bike. I only had one shim out of spec, but the others were close, so I changed them all. However, because I could use an shim from another valve, I only had to buy three shims.

Note: The factory shims were 3 x 255 and 1 x 250.
Also Note: I had to buy 3 x 245 replacement shims. Would a kit come with three of the same shim size?

Reactions: jaimesix

Premium Member
Tu Combs (3D Cycles) sells many parts from EM.....the shim kit is likely one of them though I'm not sure why the price would be different. All good points made so far; when I did my first KLR, I went to the dealer and discovered that they don't stock shims. I ended up buying them from the BMW dealer. For subsequent shim jobs, I bought EM's kit knowing that there was no guarantee that I'd have what was needed but it worked for KLR #2....since then I've hoarded more shims from a variety of sources so I have quite a few now. I'm one of those guys that likes to have everything I need at hand which is why I have spare gaskets, wp kit, screw kits, exhaust gaskets, jets, drain plugs and gaskets, spark plugs, air and oil filters, bars, plastics, seats, windscreens, springs, shifters, footpegs, tires, brake pads, signals, piston rings, headers, silencers, etc. etc. etc.

Dave

Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is what I did with mine. I had to wait about three weeks for my replacement shims. I rode the bike almost everyday in the interim.
I did break the gasket on the cam chain tensioner, so having a spare on hand is also good advice.

As Tom pointed out on a different thread, it is quite possible that some of the shims can be replaced with shims from other of the bike's valves. This was the case with my bike. I only had one shim out of spec, but the others were close, so I changed them all. However, because I could use an shim from another valve, I only had to buy three shims.

Note: The factory shims were 3 x 255 and 1 x 250.
Also Note: I had to buy 3 x 245 replacement shims. Would a kit come with three of the same shim size?
Up above you can see what EM and 3D Cycle offer in their kits, which are both identical except for the price

馃憤

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.