Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Are there any full length seat cushions .......

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Fatheroftwo 
#1 ·
for the long trip? Riding around "town" and short trips through the the winding woods is great, but I plan on taking my daughter on some extended road trips and we'll need a little more cushion, any ideas?

#2 ·
Some riders use a Cabelas ATV seat cushion, with favorable results.

I just 'toughen my bunns' every spring! 46 years of riding, I just figure that's the way it is supposed to be done!

#3 ·
I'm right there with ya,

been licensed since '75, riding since '72. I have not been on a bike since 2011. My daughter also is going to ride with me, so I want to make sure she has a good experience right off the bat. I'l look into the cabellas seat cushion.

Thank you.

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure Walmart still sells the basic Cabela's ATV seat cover. Sometimes they're branded as Stearns but I'm sure no matter the name, they all come from the same factory in China.

They do the trick for some extra padding but even though they look like they would be, they're not waterproof and soak up water like a sponge. They'll also raise you another inch or so. I always liked that but some folks might not.

They attach with three quick-disconnect straps. As long as you leave your seat bolts out, you can remove and reinstall it quickly if you want.

I used one for a couple of years but then did away with it. I didn't like it soaking up the rain while I was inside at work and it was also slick and I slid around on it a lot when I really didn't want to. If I went on a longer trip, I'd probably put it back on before I left. It did add a fair amount of comfort to the stock seat but I'm guessing the sheepskin would be the way to go.

#10 · (Edited)
I used a different approach that has worked very well for me over 100K miles with much of it on rough dirt roads. I removed the original cover and foam all together so it is easily replaceable.

I got a 20"x15"x1/2" nylon cutting board from Walmart and bolted it to the stock seat pan with a few small machine screws. Fits perfectly right up to the upturned part at the tank. I left the board 15" wide at the back for passenger comfort and narrowed the front down to stock width. Put on 1" of carpet padding and 1" of pillow foam from a fabric store. Also got some vinyl from the fabric store (pick your color) and stapled it on.

It has lasted across the Trans-America Trail and half of the Trans-Canada Adventure Trail and is still going. I liked it well enough that I did it for my second KLR also.

I also use the Walmart ATV full length pad when I have my throw-over saddle bags on to cover the saddle bag strap across the seat, but without the bags I don't use the pad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.