Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jesus. I don't think I've ever wanted to watch someone suffer like I did today. Got passed IN MY LANE, on the right, by an old midlife crisis guy in a sports car. I was going 65. He was clearly pushing 100. I didn't even see him, it just suddenly sounded like a jet was taking off in my head. On a twisty road. In the ****ing rain! My first thought was that he should obviously die, but after a few minutes I realized he was ruining my ride home and hurting my neck. But if any of you see an older gent, very professorial looking in a jazzed up little red honda speed machine around the Bay Area (he had napa written all over him), feel free to introduce your boot to his face. :mad0235:
(I won't judge)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sounds like you need to have a tube of glue and relax Dan.

Ard

·
Administrator
8,363 Posts
Sounds like you need to have a tube of glue and relax...
I prefer a nice big MarksAlot pen. You can sit in a boring meeting and sniff those things practically un-noticed and not have all the mess of a tube of glue and a paper bag.

And people wonder why I'm always so cheery...

Tom

·
Registered
815 Posts
Here is a way to calm down Lockjaw.... Think of it a different way. Think of the guy saving your life by reacting fast enough to miss you instead of slamming in to you. He may not have done that for any other reason then to avoid a crash. You'll never know for sure, but it's better to be thankful you weren't hurt then to let something like this bother ya forever. As riders, we need to learn to how accept this stuff and move on because we know the craziness will never end.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My tongue in cheek apparently didn't come off right. It's hard for pacifists to sound tough. :)

You're right, it could have gone down that way, Wanderer...certainly a nicer idea. It actually only made me pissed for about 2 minutes. Then I realized nothing would be accomplished by thinking about it any more and concentrated on enjoying my ride home, and all was well. But man, for those two minutes, I was PISSED. Amazing what fear and adrenaline can do. ;)

But yeah, you're right. I don't expect much from the cages, and they usually don't disappoint.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You are so Imaginative

I prefer a nice big MarksAlot pen. You can sit in a boring meeting and sniff those things practically un-noticed and not have all the mess of a tube of glue and a paper bag.

And people wonder why I'm always so cheery...

Tom
Tom,

I have read many of your posts and always thought you were crafty. Your answers so often show great powers of adaptation and resourcefulness. This time you have outdone yourself, I would never have thought of that. Once again your ability to adapt to a situation has shown through.

Ard

·
Registered
704 Posts
Us old past-mid-life crisis guys are sometimes slow.

Lock, you said "he had napa written all over him". My first thought was , how could you tell he worked at an auto parts store.

No joke!!!!!!!!! Here, I would have said "he had Ocean Drive written all over him."

Oh well, back to the fingernail polish remover.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's funny!

·
Administrator
8,363 Posts
Ard-

I am a child of the '70s who, in my middle age (if I live to be 108), has been thrust unwittingly and unwillingly into the ever-so-politically-correct 21st century.

Necessity is the mother of invention...

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
It's hard for pacifists to sound tough. :)

Amazing what fear and adrenaline can do. ;)
"Feel free to introduce your boot to his face". Now that's the kind of pacifism I like to hear! People like that could really benefit from an ass whippin'. Think of it as a public service, it may be me next time and I may not be as lucky as you.

Right. When on an adrenaline rush you are ten feet tall and bulletproof. The downside is when it wears off you turn to jelly, so you have to act quick :)

All BS'ing aside I like to ride, or drive at just slightly faster than the traffic I'm in. Keeps me focused on what's ahead, not behind. Although in your case it would not have mattered. I pay extra attention to my mirrors when stopped, first gear engaged and always leave an escape route.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pay extra attention to my mirrors when stopped, first gear engaged and always leave an escape route.
Amen brother.

·
Registered
815 Posts
People like that could really benefit from an ass whippin'. Think of it as a public service, it may be me next time and I may not be as lucky as you.
I know you are probably kidding around, but again you have to consider the other side of things before going off on somebody. Everyone is guilty of spirited riding/driving at some point in their lives, so it goes without saying we've all been in goofy situations that could have gotten ugly. If indeed this guy passed on the right to save Lockjaw from getting flattened then I'd like to shake the drivers hand for keeping on top of things and for saving our fellow KLR rider from disaster. Sure this guy was speeding and no excuse for that, but we all understand the situation. Without a chance for Lockjaw to talk with the guy, we will never know the whole situation so we can't just assume the worse here. I certainly can't chastise a sports car driver for getting a bit overzealous and spirited since I used to own a vette and our group would test the roads a bit ourselves. Would be a bit hypocritical of me if I just dumped all over the guy. I'm just glad your alright Lockjaw, be thankful there was an open line for the guy.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks man. I'm glad I'm allright, too. I'm not a fighting kind of guy by nature. Not really afraid of it. But it just always seems like too much drama. And I got enough of that.

Talking tough on the internet. I'll do that all day. ;)

Actually, what really makes me think twice about these things now is the two good friends I have who both got damn near killed and permanently "altered" in pretty run of the mill fist fights. And I don't want to take the risk or risk hurting someone else. If I had to defend myself or someone, I would, and have. But I'm not starting anything on or off the bike that could put someone in a coma if they fall wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I know you are probably kidding around, but again you have to consider the other side of things before going off on somebody.
"Got passed IN MY LANE, on the right, by an old midlife crisis guy in a sports car. I was going 65. He was clearly pushing 100"

Not really kidding around. If this guy was pushing 100 mph just to get to Starbucks and have a latte he SHOULD have his ass kicked.

I don't quite understand your response, Wanderin' Dude, for defending the asshat that nearly took out LJ ???

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hey now, I'm not defending anyone here. I'm just saying there is another side we don't know about. Are you saying you never speed flash? You've never done 100.. EVER? Ever do 90? 80?... 60 in a 40? 50 in a 30?. Even if you say no I wouldn't believe it and to insinuate this guy was just out speeding to get a starbucks latte is completely fabricated and as a matter of fact, so is the 100, we don't know what he was up too or the exact speed. It's just as likely his mom or wife had a heart attack or his kid just got hurt and possibly doing 80 which could feel like 100 being so closely passed. All I'm saying is WE DON'T KNOW the other side so I'm not defending anyone, nor am I going to judge anyone in this situation.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Never mind Flash... I found my answer. What would have happened had you came up on somebody going 45ish? I'd say you hit every bit of 85 if you were rolling on what was left of the throttle huh? Maybe even faster? What if you wobbled on to an oncoming car? Were you headed to Starbucks?

Pushing the limits of my '08 this morning......think I found one. Took a little ride this AM to Lake Kiowa, TX to check it out. Coming back on FM 902 between Ethel and Dorchester the road is two lane with a fair surface. I entered a long right hand sweeper at around 75 as indicated by the GPS. A little past midpoint I was rolling on what was left of the throttle to exit and a slow wobble started and was getting worse quick. Backed off and all was well, thankfully.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Never mind Flash... I found my answer. What would have happened had you came up on somebody going 45ish? I'd say you hit every bit of 85 if you were rolling on what was left of the throttle huh? Maybe even faster? What if you wobbled on to an oncoming car? Were you headed to Starbucks?
I do Folgers at home, thank you. Sure, I push the speed limit at times. Are you the one that posted the "sport fag's" comment recently? My post was of me, alone, on a two lane, 70 mph limit, complaining of the piss poor handling of the KLR at speed. I was not endangering anyone's life driving a vehicle that weighed less than five times as much, just a guess, as the one that LJ described. However, I did not troll your previous post's to find a wedge to contradict mine. I will not respond to any more of this nonsense.

·
Registered
815 Posts
What about the sport fag thread? How is that relevant?

Yeah, nobody speeding ever says they were endangering anyone, and of course, always alone and safe. The minute you "push" the speed limit "at times" is the minute you loose the option of chastising another speeder. You said you were at 75mph already and then rolled what was left of the throttle which means you were speeding if you were already at 75mph and increasing. A KLR can kill somebody just as easily as a full car, who are you kidding?. I don't recall Lockjaw saying where he was, so this sports car probably thought he was alone, on a two lane, 70mph limit, pressing what was left of the pedal a little around midpoint. That's all I'm saying! Don't knock people for something you've done yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Ard-

I am a child of the '70s who, in my middle age (if I live to be 108), has been thrust unwittingly and unwillingly into the ever-so-politically-correct 21st century.

Necessity is the mother of invention...

Tom
Marksalot... Weird.. :) I grew up in the 70's, but in a pretty much completely drug free area.. Well, other than alcohol.. It was plentiful so we didn't need much else.

Anyway, onto the Marksalot story..

Those of us who were evil, would bring along a couple Magic Markers for use when someone passed out from over consumption of delicious BEER.. At the time, we were of legal drinking age in Wisconsin (over 13ish) (ok 18) and were at a college party about an hour from home.

The guy that drove us got hammered and zonked out on a couch.. We painted him up with Snideley Wiplash mustache, beard, and evil eyebrows. All nicely done in permanent marker.

The next morning he never looked in the mirror, and he drove us to Hardee's for breakfast.. Of course everyone in the place was staring and pointing, and he had no clue until he got up and went to the bathroom..

Of course, the more he scrubbed, the madder he got.. We didn't have to walk home, but it was close.:)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think Paper's post should wrap up this thread (pun intended).

Every poster has a point, but just remember the Gospel according to BI--
There's two sides to everything and in a fight, be it fist, knife, or gun, there are no winners.

Ride safe, mi amigos.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts