Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so, the good news is that I think I finally found the source of the oil leak on my 09. I always thought its the oil drain plug where its coming from, but I took it off this morning and let the oil drain, put some teflon tape on it and torqued it up... came back from work and son of a.... more oil drips.

Here the drips seen looking at the drain plug.

Here the leak as seen from the skid plastic.

And this seems to be the source of the problem.. these small 8mm bolts holding the case together. I tightened them all slightly with a small ratched... none of em were tight, like the ones around the water pump.

Does anyone have the torque value for those?
Tomorrow after work I'm going to remove them one by one, add lock tight, and torque them all down.

Did anyone else ever have these loosen up? :character00271:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Does anyone have the torque value for those?
Tomorrow after work I'm going to remove them one by one, add lock tight, and torque them all down.

Did anyone else ever have these loosen up? :character00271:

78 in-lb.

Never had those loosen but KLR does stand for Keep Loctite Ready!

I don't have an inch lb. torque wrench, I use 1/4" drive tools for small bolts like those. It's hard to over torque them with a small ratchet. Hurts my hand before I can snap off the bolt!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not so much worried about snapping off the bolt as I am of stripping the aluminum threads. lol.

Thanks for the torque.

I wonder if someone had that side of the case removed before. Seems odd, when I bought the bike it had 900km's on it... hadn't even had its first oil change yet... donno why someone would want to remove the case.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I wonder if someone had that side of the case removed before. Seems odd, when I bought the bike it had 900km's on it... hadn't even had its first oil change yet... donno why someone would want to remove the case.
You have to remove that case if you want to clean the oil screen. Not too many do that at 900 kms but I suppose it is possible. Same would go for the water pump bolts. Sounds to me that the case was removed for some reason considering the loose bolts and oil leak. You may have a gasket issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After tightening The Bolts and letting the bike sit overnight there are no more drips so hopefully after I torque it with loctite today should be fine. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my X10a

·
Registered
88 Posts
loose bolts

After tightening The Bolts and letting the bike sit overnight there are no more drips so hopefully after I torque it with loctite today should be fine. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my X10a
Half a wrist ought to be about the right torque. But before you lock it up, this may be a good opportunity to check that screen.

Sent from my candlestick phone with the help pf Gladys at the switchboard.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeh but i already poured new oil into it thinking it was leaking from the drain plug. so now its all torqued up. Drove it home, seems to be dry. So far so good.
The screen I'll clean probably next winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts