Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carried for a few years and then slacked off and quit. Got lazy and didn't see the need. After watching the news and seeing people all over the country burning down their own cities, I decided since we are going on a trip today, I'd go armed. I think every generation fears for the next but it looks like there may be a good reason now. Everything seems to be falling apart. I don't see the reason to burn down the Autozone or the Target store and stop traffic then break out peoples windows on the freeway. If they try that with my truck, 17 of them get 9mm holes. Should I takes some extra magazines or is 17 enough? I'm not sure how much more the country can take.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It can be a touchy subject. BUT. I have a SD carry permit, and at some point will go for the advanced permit that will allow me 8 more states.
I only have one gun, and its a 357 magnum snubbed nose PD special, it weighs in at 13.5oz loaded. Having only 5 shots but lots of nuts behind them, if one was to line up 3 in a row, that's 3 with one shot. (wad cutters)
I keep it in the left side of left leg in cowboy boot, hanging off calf by velcrow and 30lb fishing line. With long pants and sandles, I add another velcrow strap to keep swing down. After 20 mns, I don't know its there.
My choice was size and different rounds. As they say it takes a 357 to go through the skull of a bad pitbull or rotwiler, or bear. For me its more about a bad dog or bear, than a person.
For first use, I have a small tazer, but with this social distancing, carry the small bear spray, so as not to get within 6 feet of said bad person.
( if one uses hollow points ) be carefull what state one is in, as I beleave NJ is said to be a nasty fine per bullet, and getting a permit for NJ is almost non possible.
( if this topic don't get ugly, ill post some picks of hand cannon and redneck ankle holder. Tazer looks like a pager, and bear spray is small with belt clip.

·
Registered
98 Posts
1st-I carry, have for years.
2nd-I am permitted in most all states.
3rd-I would only shoot someone to protect me or my family, not property. It's insured.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I hear what you are saying. I am not far from, and have friends who lived through, Charlottesville. Lots of crazy people out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1st-I carry, have for years.
2nd-I am permitted in most all states.
3rd-I would only shoot someone to protect me or my family, not property. It's insured.
It is a fine line to determine if someone has intent to harm you once they are inside your car. By that point they have already proven capability by breaking your window. Once inside, there is nowhere to retreat to. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I keep an eye on the Minneapolis coverage expecting to see footage of the mob tearing down the Mary Tyler Moore Throwing Her Hat In The Air statue. Surely it symbolizes something more than a high-on-life single female trying to make it in the male-dominated Twin Cities media market.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Someone who lives in Sylva NC posted on FB and asked if there was going to be a protest in town. We have a population of just over 2700.

I had to drive across east TN yesterday. I took the loop around Knoxville rather than drive through the city. Last night they broke windows downtown there. They're only backing the cops into a corner.

This is nuts!!!

When is the last time people took to the streets because a cop was killed?

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is a fine line to determine if someone has intent to harm you once they are inside your car. By that point they have already proven capability by breaking your window. Once inside, there is nowhere to retreat to. YMMV.
Did not understand that "they are inside your car" when I made my response. That's different than they are in my driveway or a parking lot and stealing my car, motorcycle, whatever and my family and I are in not in imminent danger. If someone's in my house, stealing my TV, worthless as it may be, and I'm safely ensconced in my bedroom with my family, and my, ahem, defense system. They can have it. If however they make it personal...
My mistake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Someone who lives in Sylva NC posted on FB and asked if there was going to be a protest in town. We have a population of just over 2700.

I had to drive across east TN yesterday. I took the loop around Knoxville rather than drive through the city. Last night they broke windows downtown there. They're only backing the cops into a corner.

This is nuts!!!

When is the last time people took to the streets because a cop was killed?
In this thread, you sound a little too worried, too scared, or just too worked up to be carrying around a loaded gun. I'm not against carry, but you gotta get your head into a good place first. Postpone your travel if you can, this would help in multiple ways. Either way, stay safe!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In this thread, you sound a little too worried, too scared, or just too worked up to be carrying around a loaded gun. I'm not against carry, but you gotta get your head into a good place first. Postpone your travel if you can, this would help in multiple ways. Either way, stay safe!
Worried? It's reasonable to be a little worried. Watch the news.

Scared? Not a bit. My truck is thousands of pounds, 4x4 and a V8. The gun is loaded (why wouldn't it be) and I know how to use it.

Head in a good place? If I had to use it, somebody made me. Their call. I wouldn't miss one nights sleep. Good place? I don't know where that is anymore, house arrest due to a virus watching people burn down the cities. When I watch the news I get a little pissed. This shouldn't be the way things are. I don't accept it.

Postpone your travel if you can? Really? Not going to happen. I have to go. These people will not stop me from going. I bypassed the downtown area.

My pistol saved me from an idiot young jerk years ago. He was upset that he was being slowed down by a new rider ahead of me. It was my wife. He though he'd kick my ass or worse and probably could have. Needless to say he changed his mind. He'll remember it forever and probably not be such an AH again. He left with no new holes but one of his was puckered.

Maybe if these people who are stopping random cars and breaking out peoples windows got a response from the driver that surprised them, others may think about what could happen to them if they "miss-behaved" in such a manner. I'd hate to be in a situation where I wished I had my firearm. (TYPO FIXED! HAPPY? LOL)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bad people is the reason I retired early and travel full time. As I did linework for 24yrs in Manchester NH, and that's 50 miles from Baaauuuuston. Not all Mass people are bad, but most are. In Mass, using a blinker is a sign of weekness, red light means 5 or more cars can still go through. I then did 8 years linework in Easton PA area, that's right next to Jersey. On the weekend, all people on a bike, are your brother and sister, but when they get in the car, your just another ass on a bike in there way.
I think in Texas your considered a sissy if your not packing.
Ill head out in a bit for the day, and take gravel roads 90% of the way on the kawi, to the ND side that's open. I can carry in ND, but not in MN.
There is still good and relaxing places in the world.
A true story, from my NH days. We were doing a job in another district, and parked trucks at a truckers place. Very nice small town. He tells the story, of a guy from Mass that brought his family to said small town. He went to apply for free money, the system. Guy sais do you have a job lined up? NOPE, don't want a job. He sais im offering you a job, guy sais I don't want one, he sais cant give you free money because im offering you a job. Guy goes back to Mass.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Worried? It's reasonable to be a little worried. Watch the news.

Maybe if these people who are stopping random cars and breaking out peoples windows got a response from the driver that surprised them, others may think about what could happen to them if they "miss-behaved" in such a manner. I'd hate to be in a situation where I wished I had my piston.
Maybe a little edit there, Toney?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Submitting my renewal for my CCW is on my to do list this week. I carry pretty much everywhere except at work (my teaching job, my part time fire job is ok with it). Getting a CCW is not super easy in CA but at least I can have hollow points unlike someone above.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gotta chime in on this subject.

BIG FAN of CCW along with CONTINUED AND EXTENSIVE TRAINING after you procure yours. Paying (cause it's no longer required to have/carry the CCW card here in AZ) allows me reciprocity in other States as well as a couple of things I'm allowed to do in AZ that I wouldn't be allowed to do if I didn't have a CCW but wanted to carry, say, at a bar.

I carry 'on person' and concealed every day, all the time (open and notorious is just BEGGING to get you JACKED, don't do it!) and yes, it's a pain to add that to motorcycle riding prep, but it's a 'Tool' I want available IF I EVER need it. It's also a Force Multiplier... 5 guys threatening/menacing/beating me and me with one pistol??? I may not best 5 guys in that scenario but I can almost guarantee what'll happen if I DON'T have my Pistol.

EDC Bag not good enough alone.
Pistol under seat, etc... not good enough.
"HEY! I GOTTA GUN, I CAN HELP!!!" Nope, not good enough UNLESS YOU'VE TRAINED WITH IT.
"I bought a new Gun YO!" Nope, not helpful until you've trained (a lot) with it.

Someone mentioned a phrase that I'd re-word to MindSet.
If you're not 'ready' when the times come, "you'll sink to your lowest level of training" in the moment.
Especially under the stupidANDinsane stress that accompanies a Shoot.

I carry, and I'm 'ready' as I've trained on it including Trauma Combat Casualty Care (not first aid but trauma care... in the field I can stop arterial bleeding... can you?!).
If I carry a gun, then I have a responsibility to ALSO carry Trauma Gear (Tourniquet, HemCon, Izzy-ies and OcclusiveSeals) don't I?!

And I had to use my Pistol once (long, mildly interesting story) causing PHX PD to muster 3 SUVs AAAAAND their Heli!!!
What I learned is that despite my 'GoodSamaritan' nature, more often it

"won't be my people or my fight" going forward.

And that was REALLY disconcerting to 'learn'...

I'm ready, but scaled back because I trained (a ton-a hours) and ran a parabolic curve on my Shooting Prowess.
My first day at this entity where I trained for a few years I showed up as a "Southern boy who growed up in ATL and can shoot purdy good".
Needless to say, I was in Unconscious Incompetence at the time; I didn't even know what I didn't know.
I trained, stayed the course and reached a level of Conscious Incompetence... I had learned I was NOT all that and a bag o' chips; not by a long shot. This caused an even deeper respect for the process of becoming capable with a Firearm.
I trained some more, read some books, consulted, watched and trained some more to reach a level today of Conscious Competence whereby I can think through a problem usually pretty good and then overcome as I'm aware I'm pretty good now though I still have a long way to go (perishable skill don't-cha-know!).
Someday, after more training and work COMBINED (and more than I've done up to this point at 56YO now), you know, when I'm a Navy Seal or some other kind of 'Operator' and I've achieved a level of Unconscious Competence, where I'm almost on Auto-Pilot all the time.

I'm pretty sure I won't get there with respect to pretty much about this subject, but I can prove comfortable (or intelligent such as the one Member above who wrote about 'going the long-way-round'. I can tell you that I've never lost a fight I wasn't in so I call it wisdom that he drove the-long-way to avoid a potential threat. That's wisdom (okay, and a lil extra gas... but WhaddaYaThink... a little extra time/money for fuel to avoid a potential threat??? Yeh, all day long and twice on Sunday.

My scenario above brought me to epiphany of 'trained and (more) intelligent' is better than, 'hey, I gotta gun, let me just run over here and STICK MY NOSE in someone's else's business and perhaps change things permanently.

And we all know that can go a thousand different ways can't it???

A Firearm is a tool.
You wouldn't just start that new chainsaw and cut down that 200YO Redwood without maybe checking out a YouTube video on the subject now wouldja???
Saw can't hurt you until it's used wrong.
Neither can a Firearm.
But it sure can change things so indeed we must train to have the proper mindset about the entire subject.

2A is one of the key components of America and helps keep her so Great (despite current events). It is also a very complex subject isn't it? A veeeeerrrrry complex subject!!!

Admiral Yamamoto after attacking Pearl Harbor on that fateful day was quoted as saying that 'Japan would never attack America on it's own soil because we know that behind every-blade-of-grass would be an American with a Gun'.
Do you think other Countries perhaps with take-over 'Designs' might think twice about a statement like that and perhaps choose NOT to attack 'such a sleeping giant' (again)?

Yeh, yeh, I'll admit that their presence (Firearms) is a part of our problem, too, but I submit they are more a part of our 'solutions' than our problems (protection from others, protection from our Gov't, hunting/providing, sport and competition).
'Sides, indeed it isn't the Guns,
It's the Users!

It's a good thing it's not an inflammatory/polarizing subject though...
YEH RIGHT!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I too, am curious about the new "Piston" and really eager to see one in action. I've not yet seen 'em in the Gun Mags yet, or the stores; what gives?!

Hopefully "Pistons" are concealable and can be kept in a handy holster that I'd install on the left side (this time... all my other Holsters are on my 'strong-side' right). It'd be on my Left since I have to be able to reach it, activate it, throw it all the while keeping my throttle WFO going Mach One with my Hair On Fire (name that Movie line).

Post a pic of your Piston; let's see it man!!!
:0)

Yup...
STILL 'NO BREAKS' on this website.
HELPFUL as all get out, but no breaks maaaaaaan...
NONE!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These months of pandemic craziness and now the days and nights of rioting sure make me glad I don't live in a large metro area, particularly an east coast city.

"Too many rats in the cage" for this guy.
I'm not sure that's going to be all it takes to stay away from the "craziness". They're trowing bottles and rocks at cops in Morristown TN. That's just a little ol' town. People are trying to arrange protest in my area of Sylva NC. Population 2700.

I got my carry permit years ago when I first got my KLR, I was worried about the meth heads that cook out in the woods. If you run into something up in the hills, you're on your own. Now it looks like the same applies in town.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not sure that's going to be all it takes to stay away from the "craziness". They're trowing bottles and rocks at cops in Morristown TN. That's just a little ol' town. People are trying to arrange protest in my area of Sylva NC. Population 2700.

I got my carry permit years ago when I first got my KLR, I was worried about the meth heads that cook out in the woods. If you run into something up in the hills, you're on your own. Now it looks like the same applies in town.
You never know. There is a smallish town called Oakdale near me in California. They proclaim themselves to be the "Cowboy Capital of the World". Tuesday they bused rioters in. They are trying to disrupt small town USA. It is scary.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'm in-favor of frontier justice in this instance, especially in the "Cowboy Capital of the World". Lasso ALL of the imported 'rioters'.
Throw them in the nearest river, wet or dry, I don't care. Sink or swim and let them walk 20 miles back to 'civilization'.

This crap does not help resolve anything. And neither does my suggestion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts