Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a free country, do what you want. This is how I feel. And the guys I ride with agree with me for the most part. Since I started riding bikes and scooters, I have believed in wearing the gear. I have been a hypocrite on one important point, which is why I'm throwing this up. Always have worn good boots, gloves, armored jacket, full face helmet. Pants. That's what got me. I got a pair of overpants back in the day, but I never wore them. Why? I like to have regular pants with regular pockets on. Weak, but true. So I compromised. For years I have had two sets of 'draggin jeans' kevlar long johns I wear under my pants. This may help some with abrasion. No padding, though. Off road, I'll throw on some knee/shin guards. But still weak.

As I've said, lately I have seen a lot of accidents. Also, lately I have been having a freaking blast climbing and running and playing with my girl. So, I decided to stop being a wuss and wear the pants. But I had to be realistic. It doesn't do any good if you don't wear it. My wife and I had some big talks (money is tight) and here is what I've come up with. I got some Bohn padded underwear (pads in knee, shin, hip, thigh, tailbone). And I got some Kevlar cargo pants. I mention this because I figure there are others like me. Guys who just want to wear regular goddamn pants with access to all the stuff in their pockets.

Well, the cargo pants I ordered from NewEnough have not come yet, but they came highly recommended. The Bohn came today, and I am super impressed with them.

I will start to be LEGIT ATGATT now. Now, as y'all know I've been out of work and dropping half a grand on pants and pads was a TOUGH, brutal decision, but we're talking about my legs for gods sake. I want to teach my girl how to ride, how to play soccer. I want to dance with my wife.

In an ideal world, we would all wear armored leathers, but that ain't gonna happen. But I am confident that the Bohn underwear and the reinforced pants are as good as I can do and still wear them without finding some bullshit excuse not to. I'm throwing it out there.

You do what you want, but if you go down in jeans, you may never walk again...I have seen a chunk taken out of knee armor that turned my stomach. May not walk regardless, but I want the deck stacked in my favor. So, this is a shout out to Bohn...I am really impressed..great product. And it is food for thought. Money is so tight right now that buying a taco is a dilemma, but a few hundred bucks for my future as a mobile human? I feel lucky I got away with my stupidity for as long as I have. From now on it is ATGATT. Not 'everything but pants'. Not long kevlar long johns and no impact resistance.

When I was younger and stupider, I did young and stupid things. Now, I am a Husband and a Father and it is time to do things right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The pants are a pain, but I wear mine!

too many you tube videos proove the pants are just as important as the helmet.

And once you start wearing them, the ONE time you dont is when you will have a problem.

:character00268:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
412 Posts
I love the Cortech gear. I can personally attest to it's ability to take a fall.
As I just posted in a similar thread, I high sided my Duc years ago and can't imagine the tissue damage I'd have sustained had I not been wearing my jacket and pants. I wasn't wearing my riding boots for the one time and that one time is all it took. Broke my foot rather harshly.
However, I need to find some different pants for the summer. The Cortech Caliber pants I have are great for the AZ winter, but they're brutily hot in the summer and I admit, I don't wear them a lot of times when I should.
But anyway, Gear for the win.
And good call on the Cortech/Tourmaster gear. It saved my ass....literally (and my hips, and my knees, and my thighs...)

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I will admit that I'm sitting here at Peets and I rode over from work in my shorts. I do this occasionally and am fully aware of the risks.

I never ride freeway in street pants. Most every ride I'm wearing my armor pants and jacket.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Who needs overpants with armor?

Me
This is the hole in my FirstGear HT's after a 45mph slide. They look like hell but there wasn't a single mark on my jeans underneath and mor importantly my flesh escaped unharmed.

You hear people complain about the cost of good gear and that it gets destroyed in a crash. Well duh... priced an ER vistit lately?

I don't mind that gear is a one time crash event cost, better it than me!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got some Bohn padded underwear (pads in knee, shin, hip, thigh, tailbone). The Bohn came today, and I am super impressed with them.
Lockjaw,
Can you tell me more about these Bohn pants - I was on their website the other day and almost bought a pair, but I wanted to hear more opinions from people I trust....and here you are posting about having just bought a pair.

What do you think of them? You've put a few hundred miles on them I'm sure - are they comfortable? too hot? could you wear them under dress pants in an office for 8hrs? Thanks for the info.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Moto13. Let me put a few more miles on them and give you a better response, but my initial impressions are VERY good. The armor on the hips and thighs is thick foam, not hard, but very thick and would do the job. The knee armor is hard. They fit well and the armor seems like it would stay in place well, probably better than overpants. I got the cooler weave ones and the fabric is still pretty substantial. I can imagine the lycra would be HOT! The go on and come off easy. The ONLY thing I think was dumb is they put a zipper on the bottom of the leg, so you have a zipper under your boot, but not a huge deal. I will wear them, that's the important thing.

They do not show under pants and fit under regular pants although I am pairing them with Kevlar pants. A day at the office? I might slip em off. But they are certainly more comfortable than the draggin jeans underwear I have. That stiff waffle weave was no good.

Going for a ride today and will report more.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Further review. OK, the Bohn. If you ever played football, they are pretty much like that pad-wise. But with thinner pads. Thigh pads, knee pads, tailbone and hip pads. Will the pads stay in place in a crash? That's always the Q and I think these stand as good a chance as any. They are comfortable. You could wear them all day, but I would probably take them off. Personal thing.

The Cortech pants are SUPER well made. And WARM. I did a lot of errands. On and off. On and off. Man, I sweat like a pig. But no more than I would have in overpants.

My wife cannot tell when I have the Bohn on. I know that doesn't make sense, but unless you wear skin tight jeans, you're good. I am really impressed with both products and will use both. And be safer for it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
LJ: you are my "only friend" (on the forum) PLEASE WEAR ATGATT!!!
Best,
Mark

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LJ: you are my "only friend" (on the forum) PLEASE WEAR ATGATT!!!
Best,
Mark
Don't worry, I will. I got to test that tent out in a few weeks. (Thanks again brother).

·
Registered
689 Posts
U ARE VERY WELCOME. Can't wait to meet you in late June/early July! I am SO ready for this trip, I feel like leaving now..

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Lockjaw, 'til I read your thread, I thought I was pretty good at rationalizing my desire for the toys I want.

You teach me, I have my competition!

If you convinced your wife you needed those duds, at that price, you could sell siding to customers who live in BRICK houses.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
689 Posts
He is good at talkin not just writin..that's hoe I see it!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have seen and participated in the scraping of gravel out of flesh with a wire brush. That helps. That and the wordiness. And I'm pretty cheap about other stuff. You know, like things my wife wants. J/K ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
ATGATT = More than just when motorcycling

Through the 70's and 80's I was the blue jeans and t-shirted rider.

ATGATT since the early 90's, including riding pants.

I did manage to require an emergency room visit to have some gravel scrubbed out of an arm prior to gaining the wisdom to wear protective gear.

Since ATGATT I have avoided anything greater than a few bruises having been down twice and hit by a car once.

Have often been asked "aren't you hot wearing all that gear" to which my standard reply is "I'd rather be a little warm for a few hours than spend two years or so getting skin grafts"

That said, on a similar note unrelated to motorcycling, I have had a pair of safety chaps to wear when using a chain saw. Those puppies are extremely hot, and a bit heavy and I have become very lax about wearing them....

Until after today....

Didn't do my favorite pair of Filson Tin-Cloth pants any good, but it was a valuable lesson. If I had been wearing blue jeans, I'm sure some stitches would have been necessary for my leg, and not just the pants. The chain bit through the front layer of pocket, partially through the back layer of pocket and left a cigarette burn-sized hole in my boxers, but I avoided so much as a scratch.

Sometimes fortune does favor the foolish.

Even though I wasn't cut, two hours later I can still feel the spot on my thigh where the saw hit...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got the cooler weave ones and the fabric is still pretty substantial. I can imagine the lycra would be HOT!

Thanks for the update - let me know as you formulate a better opinion of them. I'm probably buying some soon anyways, but info is power. I was not even aware that there was a weave one vs the lycra. I'll have to pay closer attention when I buy them. Thanks again.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the update - let me know as you formulate a better opinion of them. I'm probably buying some soon anyways, but info is power. I was not even aware that there was a weave one vs the lycra. I'll have to pay closer attention when I buy them. Thanks again.
Sure, I would have to say that other than custom made leathers with pads, this is about as good of protection as you will get (for the money). Meaning, the issue is whether the pads move or will move in a crash. They might. But they might in overpants, too. I like that they have hip, thigh, and tailbone protection which a lot of pants don't. The only negative is the knee pads move a little, but less than any other I have experienced. For what it is worth. I would buy them again. But only if I was going to wear kevlar pants over them. Otherwise, pants with abrasion and impact resistance are the way to go. My .02.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jesus, glad that chainsaw didn't bite ya bro. I just threw up a little thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts