Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started riding with a guy from my church. Butch is same age as me, a V.N. Veteran and his main ride is a Harley. Over time, I got him in the habit of wearing ATGATT. Well, we go for a 200 mile ride yesterday, and I notice he is riding faster and, shall we say "Assertively" spelled aggressively..... When we stopped for lunch he agreed that now that he feels more protected, he tends to go faster, take curves sharper, etc. My question is has anyone else noticed this behavior in themselves or in others????

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Interesting question that sparked my interest, masterlink. I did a little reading and this is a pretty good article: motorcycle ATGATT mentioned toward the end. The article seems to favor your theory. I also found it interesting that not only do people who gear up tend to take more risks, but so do the people around them who simply see them geared up, such as the example of motorists who will pass closer to a bicyclist wearing a helmet than they will to those not wearing a helmet.

I didn't wear riding gear for years but I do now. I think you bring up a good point that those who start wearing gear (perhaps especially for the first time) should be aware of its limitations and realize that it does not make them invincible.

http://wmoon.wordpress.com/2010/04/18/protective-gear-and-risk-compensation/

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great article. Thanks. I went skydiving in Moab...I maybe should re-assess my own riding behaviors. One thing that I do every spring,without fail, is I go to a large parking lot down the street(Lehigh University) and PRACTICE braking at higher speeds/figure eights/circles/low speed maneuvers. I do it because I think it helps to stay sharp with those skills.

M

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hmmm, I just put new handlebars on my Bandit and now I am riding like a hooligan. Also pulled a wheelie leaving a traffic light yesterday. Maybe gear does have an influence...

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Great article. Thanks. I went skydiving in Moab...I maybe should re-assess my own riding behaviors. One thing that I do every spring,without fail, is I go to a large parking lot down the street(Lehigh University) and PRACTICE braking at higher speeds/figure eights/circles/low speed maneuvers. I do it because I think it helps to stay sharp with those skills.

M
I'm a sedate rider, but every few rides I'll hit a local stretch of straight, level asphalt, get up to about 60-70 and then crank down on the brakes as hard as I possibly can to see how fast I can stop. The road's also got some curves and I'll practice straightening up in a curve and braking hard, although at lower speeds. I should probably do more of the low-speed parking lot exercises.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Practice is important I think. I also think gear DOES make you ride more aggressively, but I wear it. Ear plugs do the same thing for me. But I like my skin and what's left of my hearing.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Personally, I'd say no.

However, I'd say earplugs make me more likely to get the RPMs up. I thik the idea is that the ear plugs attenuate the terrible noises that stem from high RPMs.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I think anything that makes you feel safer makes you more confident (reckless if you're short some). When I wear earplugs and can't hear the wind rush, I ride more smoothly and confidently. Same with gear. I rode to the store the other day in slacks and shoes. No more than 25mph and it weirded me out.

The trick is to be confident in your gear, not OVERconfident.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i rode from eagle river to Fairbanks yesterday averaging 75 mph and a 400 mile ride and i did buy new kevlar riding pants !

but i did save alot by switching to gieco !

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've noticed that since I went ATGATT, I don't feel any safer.

But after I've gone ATGATT, the idea of riding without gear feels very unsafe.

*Note, even before my ATGATT days, I always rode with jeans and a helmet. I also had a long sleeve wind breaker, but that won't do anything in a crash.

...can anyone else relate?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I recently started riding with a guy from my church. Butch is same age as me, a V.N. Veteran and his main ride is a Harley. Over time, I got him in the habit of wearing ATGATT. Well, we go for a 200 mile ride yesterday, and I notice he is riding faster and, shall we say "Assertively" spelled aggressively..... When we stopped for lunch he agreed that now that he feels more protected, he tends to go faster, take curves sharper, etc. My question is has anyone else noticed this behavior in themselves or in others????
There's a name for that, and its a theory that many people, including myself believe.
Look up "risk homeostasis". Most studies deal with seatbelts, aribags or ABS but its the same idea.
Very basically, it says that a person is willing to axcept a certain perceived level of risk. If you add in something like seatbelts where that person feels the risk has been reduced, they will make up for it by increasing the risk in another area until they reach their target risk level.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nope!

I'd tend to disagree with this. Most of the riders I know & ride with seem to be of the more sane variety. I roadraced for quite a few years and know & ride with others that have raced, we all know that the street is NOT the place to play Ricky-Racer. We also know the value of ATGATT when we do crash.
I'd think your friend is just gettting more comfortable with speed and that'd happen whether he's ATGATT or not.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the various thoughts..I think,to use the language of the previous post:it is the insane,or more pointedly the less experienced rider, that I am concerned for....I did a short ride without jacket...in sneakers...I was exceptionally careful. I am just concerned for the guy who this may apply to...word to the wise??

M:desismiley1:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm bad for this. I ride alot with out the gear. I have been riding for around 15 years an I am confident in my riding ability but it's not me I'm worried about. It's the 4 wheel guys out there that don't look for bikes. Most of my riding around town is no more then 60 kph. I live A very small town. But when I go on the hiways I always wear my coat and gloves and helmet of course. But just scooting around town to run errands I seldom wear my coat. Just gloves and helmet

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
52 Posts

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick
While I applaud your sentiment on enjoying life, I'd also like to ride as long as I can and still be able to walk upright when I finally do bite the big one. I've ridden for over 50 years and plan to be able to ride for quite a few more. ATGATT helps me get there.... I ride EVERY ride as if EVERY driver of every other vehicle is TRYING TO KILL ME.

·
Registered
265 Posts
While I applaud your sentiment on enjoying life, I'd also like to ride as long as I can and still be able to walk upright when I finally do bite the big one. I've ridden for over 50 years and plan to be able to ride for quite a few more. ATGATT helps me get there.... I ride EVERY ride as if EVERY driver of every other vehicle is TRYING TO KILL ME.
I know, I should gear up every time I ride but it's a slow 3 km ride to work at 50 kph. It's a lazy little town through a subdivision to get to work so I never bother. Im sure it will bite me in the ass some day. But yeah I'm the same as you about cars, they all want to get ya.

Cheers, Nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts