Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is just a joke thread, but my wife was talking to a customer today and they were discussing his riding gear. He threw out the phrase, "Dress For The Slide, Not For The Ride." I thought that was pretty clever.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
This is just a joke thread, but my wife was talking to a customer today and they were discussing his riding gear. He threw out the phrase, "Dress For The Slide, Not For The Ride." I thought that was pretty clever.
I've always used "I'd rather sweat than bleed". .

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I think you only need to have gravel scraped out of you once. But yeah Dan, well said.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think you only need to have gravel scraped out of you once. But yeah Dan, well said.
Or get a few cracked ribs and a helmet that saves your face while suited to make it really sink in that ATGATT is the way to go. If I was booted and suited at the time I'd be even uglier than I am now!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Good Afternoon All,

Yes! i completely agree ATGATT. I have only been riding for two years or so. I have upgraded the boots and just now the Jacket and pants. I just upgraded to the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and over pants. I see these guys riding around with shorts and flip flops, weaving in and out of traffic and I actually wince. Perhaps they are fantastic riders, perhaps they have amazingly fast reflexes. How many stupid drivers are not paying attention? The answer is not pretty.

Snakeboy66

A wise man (Cabrito) once said to me "How much you spend on your helmet determines how much you value your head"

·
Registered
376 Posts
Heh! A friend of mine on facebook was lamenting the fact that certain individuals rode in flipflops. I replied that there was absolutely nothing wrong with riding in flipflops. It's crashing in flipflops that's problematic. :)

One great thing about my dirty, tweety, "Kawasaki pink" KLR is that I don't really worry about looking cool, so I can go atgatt, and wear a reflective yellow vest and yellow helmet with reflective tape with impunity. Heck, I'd wear a three-ring circus if it made me more visible to left-turners across my path.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I need 1 more post so I can add a picture

And that, boys and girls, is exactly why I never ride in shorts! EVER!!!

...well, and the fact that way back when I was in high school I watched a guy wreck while wearing a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops...

No helmet, no gear, nothing. He wrecked when he revved it up and popped the clutch. The bike jumped, pulled a wheelie, when the front wheel came down, it was cocked off to one side, which threw the bike out from under him. He hit the pavement and was immediately unconscious in the gutter - with his bike pinning him to the curb.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I need 1 more post so I can add a picture

:character00271: Damn 15 post requirement... It's kind of a pain when you're quoting someone... I understand why it's there, but it's still a pain.

And that, boys and girls, is exactly why I never ride in shorts! EVER!!!

...well, and the fact that way back when I was in high school I watched a guy wreck while wearing a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops...

No helmet, no gear, nothing. He wrecked when he revved it up and popped the clutch. The bike jumped, pulled a wheelie, when the front wheel came down, it was cocked off to one side, which threw the bike out from under him. He hit the pavement and was immediately unconscious in the gutter - with his bike pinning him to the curb.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It blows my mind when I get passed on I-70 by some kid in a tank top, gym shorts, and flip-flops like I am standing still. Arriving at the scene right after a wreck and helping to mop these guys off the highway will leave a scar in your mind for the rest of your life.

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
Back in the day in California when you could legally ride without a helmet a common sight was a guy on his bike, wearing a helmet, with his dearly beloved on the back without a helmet.

Never quite figured that one out.

T

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, even though I practice and endorse ATGATT for the most part, I don't preach it any more. I'm somewhat of a hypocrite. I'll ride uptown to the gas station or hardware store wearing jeans, tennis shoes, no gloves and just a helmet. I won't ride on highways or gravel roads without it, though, and actually miss out on a lot of Summer commuting because it's simply too hot to wear all the stuff on the way to work.

I don't preach it any more and I don't try to explain myself to those who don't wear the gear and attempt to convince them to do so. I figure there's no point in worrying about what other riders do or wear. They're obviously competent enough to undergo and pass the licensing examination to ride a motorcycle, so they're competent enough to decide what they want to wear when they ride. There's no point in trying to protect people from themselves. I seriously don't look over to check and don't care if the person next to me in their car at a stoplight is wearing their seat belt or not, so why should I care if the person on the motorcycle next to me is wearing full gear? I figure they can make their own decisions about their life and health.

·
Registered
376 Posts
They're obviously competent enough to undergo and pass the licensing examination to ride a motorcycle, so they're competent enough to decide what they want to wear when they ride.
I dunno—the test seemed pretty easy to me... ;-)

I only care because it makes me cringe to think of the poor guy hitting the road. But, hey, it's not my skin. Riding a bike is a risk, and atgatt mitigates some of that risk... but we're all still taking a risk. It's just degrees.

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
I'm generally not a fan of proselytizing nor those that do.

I'm also a firm believer in Darwinism.

And, like planalp, I'll run an errand in jeans and tennies. I began riding 40 years ago and up until this century rode in Levis and a Levi jacket, cowboy boots and gloves. To the best of my recollection, I never got killed. Not even once.

I'll handle my perception of risk, you handle yours.

T

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I too believe in Darwinism.....but only for the guy or gal operating the motorcycle....I have a huge problem when I see a young woman lets give her that much sitting on the back wearing nothing more than his old helmet. Just so he can get her home to have his way with her or such.....it just burns my arse. Yes I have a young daughter, lets call her a woman too now I guess at 17. She knows the risks of not wearing the correct gear and what I will do to the both of them IF I catch her on the back of anyone's bike ....period! Sorry to rant but the thought of her sliding down the road is frightening.....augh!

When she first started riding a mini bike to be like her dad lets say, I showed her the road rash queen and made her read her story. That worked wonders! Google it and show all who ride in standard school clothes. Well only the ones you love that is.

sorry again.....:13:

·
Premium Member
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I too believe in Darwinism.....but only for the guy or gal operating the motorcycle....I have a huge problem when I see a young woman lets give her that much sitting on the back wearing nothing more than his old helmet. Just so he can get her home to have his way with her or such.....it just burns my arse. Yes I have a young daughter, lets call her a woman too now I guess at 17. She knows the risks of not wearing the correct gear and what I will do to the both of them IF I catch her on the back of anyone's bike ....period! Sorry to rant but the thought of her sliding down the road is frightening.....augh!

When she first started riding a mini bike to be like her dad lets say, I showed her the road rash queen and made her read her story. That worked wonders! Google it and show all who ride in standard school clothes. Well only the ones you love that is.

sorry again.....:13:
I had a moment like that about a year ago when I was riding home from work in the dark, cruising at a sedate pace along the animal-infested highway when 3 sport bikes came up from behind and screamed around me at probably 80-90 miles an hour. A girl was perched on the back of each bike and I don't really recall what they were wearing from the waist down, but from the waist up it was just a windbreaker and a helmet.

It angered me (protective, perhaps, but I instantly directed my blame toward the male operators and not the female passengers) and I thought about it for several days and that's pretty much when I decided it was pointless to dwell on how other people ride and what they wear.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts