Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

atgatt

9K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  hippiebrian 
#1 ·
here is a question i would like to throw out there for discussion:

would you consider wearing chest/back protector and elbow guards instead of a motorcycle jacket?

i have always worn my black shift jacket with ballistic material and built in elbow pads. for summer riding i am considering switching to a t-shirt with something such as the icon field armor chest guard with spine armor and some full coverage elbow guards for everyday riding.

all input is welcome.
thanks.

#2 ·
I wear full gear, winter or summer, or just to go down to the corner store. I believe the stuff you are talking about is for off road riding?? Correct me if I am smoking crack. :50a:

ATGATT good for everyone

MB4

#3 ·
Not to sound crass but....it's your skin. Better to have as much of it left after a crash as opposed to how much skin you can loose if not wearing the appropriate ATTGATT. Full ATTGATT for me 95% of the time. Every now and then I'll make the 5 mile round trip down to the store for smokes or whatever without being 100% ATTGATT.

#4 ·
I wouldn't. Skin is good.

And I would think Elbow pads would rip off pretty quick.

#5 ·
We wear the knee/shin guards under clothing. Sadly noone makes a jacket that will fit me, so I have to use denim or leather with no pads at all. But is better than nothing, all tho the denim probably won't last much more than 3 feet on asphalt skid.

#6 ·
Dx,

have you looked at TEKNIC I wear a 2XL has elbow and sholder armor
they did have bigger sizes if needed I realy like mine.

#7 ·
They have some really nice looking stuff. Sadly still just sizes for you small guys, lol. I need about a 60-62 chest jacket to fit right. I can get the old school leather, but I am wanting a nice mesh with armor for summer riding instead of my t-shirt. I've seen lately enough guys of my size riding touring and dual sports more and more. I think there would be a good market for Big/Tall jackets in mesh and Cordura with armor.

#8 ·
#12 ·
ATGATT for me. The only time I'm not is the block and a half to the car wash, and even then the only thing I don't wear is my pants...um my Tourmaster Flex pants that is. And I always wear MX boots when riding too. I've had calf high work boots peeled off of me by the back tire in the past.

#13 ·
draw the line

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and humorless preachers thundering doom. The name of the Deity is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

If I wanted All The Gear All The Time, I'd drive the Durango, because no jacket I know prevents road rash so effectively as a ton and a half of steel with air bags and seat belts. But I don't ride because it's the safest thing I can do. I draw the line on the fun side of safe. I've had 3 wrecks, so I know the consequences. It's my skin. If I have to, I'm willing to spend it.

#15 ·
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts, funny outfits, and humorless preachers thundering doom. The name of the Deity is changed to Safety; the name of Satan is changed to Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

If I wanted All The Gear All The Time, I'd drive the Durango, because no jacket I know prevents road rash so effectively as a ton and a half of steel with air bags and seat belts. But I don't ride because it's the safest thing I can do. I draw the line on the fun side of safe. I've had 3 wrecks, so I know the consequences. It's my skin. If I have to, I'm willing to spend it.
You're right dude it's your flesh, grind it any way you want. :23a:

#14 ·
Dude, very stridently and persuasively said. I don't think anyone is trying to persuade you, though. Do your thing, man. Personally, I'm just not into pain. And I have a little baby. And I want to get hurt as little as possible at most things I do.

There is no battle to be fought here. Ride your ride, man. If you DO want someone to confront about these kinds of issues (which you obviously feel very strongly about), check out this site. They would have issues with what you said. Everybody here just wants to talk about bikes. :)

www.msgroup.org

I used to belong to the motorcycle safety group site. There's a lot of good riders on there and I learned a lot.

#16 ·
I've seen some real good accidents on and off road. The ones where the right gear was worn turned out much better. The ones with no gear were much worse off. Simple matter of protection. I wouldn't play NFL football without pads and a helmet, I don't ride without them either. The ground hits harder than any football player I've ever seen!

Check out the crash my friends have had in this video. As it says' their all fine because they wore protective gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xIlME6q-kE

#18 ·
confrontation

Lockjaw, I'm not trying to confront you.:16a: I'm trying to state the best case for the other side. There is another side, and it deserves to be heard too.

This thread started out where a guy was considering dialing down his protective gear for summer, and he titled the thread ATGATT. Any such discussion always deteriorates into a hundred guys patting themselves on the back for how they always ATGATT and repeating slogans such as "your brain is worth it". I'm saying that if the jacket sucks the fun out of it for him, it's his skin, spend it, all slogans aside.

Here in Dull-Aware, where helmets are optional, we get 95 degree summer with 95% humidity, and teens or single digits in Winter. Yet in July, we have the ATGATT faithful red as lobsters and sweating themselves dizzy. On the other hand, when temps first fall into the thirties, we have the Harley dudes in pirate costumes freezing their digits and ears in fingerless gloves and do-rags. Neither of these options looks like fun to me.

Me. I like a Vanson, helmet, and gloves, from when it first gets cool enough to stand them until it's too darn hot to stand them. But, face it, there are three solid months here when there's just no fun in that get-up at all. So if the guy who started the thread wants to dial it down during hot months, I say recognize the risk and take it. AGATAT: Appropriate Gear At The Appropriate Times.

#19 ·
I didn't mean you were trying to confront me, per se. More the ideology...but I don't think there is an ideology to confront here. Just a lot of folks speaking their mind. You're right, though...and Wanderer is right. On a safety oriented forum, this can be a fruitful discussion. Here, it just becomes more politics...or like a debate on the best kind of oil. ;)

I'm a firm believer that all sides should have their say, even if I don't agree with it. You'll get no argument from me. I wouldn't try to push ATGATT on someone I don't know, just as I would not want it done to me. Just a personal decision. That's why I like this forum. Not so much mindless back-patting, people say what they think and that's that. This is a good place, and the only one I've found that's like that.

#22 ·
Far as being a debate similar to oil... I don't see it. Oil discussions may have opinions, but only facts really matter in a debate like that so eventually the argument can be won, but still continue even with opinions that don't matter. ATGATT really has no facts because even if you say 1 out of every 100 people get road rash, well, it's still not a fact that it will happen to the person you are preaching too. You can't say it's too hot or too cold for any certain type of gear because everybody has different tolerance levels, so it's not a fact for them. Simply put, there are no facts about ATGATT so any argument for or against it can't be won. You just end up with everyone flaming each others opinions.

Of course, this was all just my opinion as well.... LOL!

#23 ·
Haha. That's what I meant, brother. There is no solution. ATGATT, oil, and politics. No one will ever agree. Facts are largely in the eye of the beholder. :)

#27 ·
It's great to see a civil discussion on a topic that is controversial. That doesn't happen on most BB's.
Cheers, Bill

#28 ·
Civility is big here. I dig it. :35a:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.