Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just done a barter deal for some work in exchange for a 2008 or 2009 KLR 650 with 32k km on the dial. The motor needs at the very least a top end rebuild if I can't find a replacement engine. Very little oil and water isn't good in an Australian summer. Having trouble locating a replacement motor at any bike wreckers around Australia right now. If there are any Aussie members on the forum and know either of a good second hand motor that is available or a reliable bike mechanic that does engine rebuilds around the Sydney/Parramatta area I would be very interested to know and approximate cost $.

Anyway the bike will end up being my sons if it gets going but it won't be keeping it's standard adventurer style. More likely a conversion to flat track road legal style is his thinking.

Thanks and look forward to reading the forum posts. :character00201:

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Yup, lack of oil will quickly cause lots of top end damage on these machines. Usually it's mostly confined to the head and cams though, so once you get it apart you will be able to see what you all need. The only bad part is that used heads (with matching machined cam caps) command a high price, and I'm guessing that shipping to Australia would also be very prohibitive. Hopefully you luck out and find something local.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts