Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of running a cig connection from the two unused lighting wires behind the headlamp to the handle bars to be used to power my gps and or charge my cell phone.

I have the thing up and running but I can't keep a reliable connection at the plug in. Should this work? I mean are any of you guys using this kinda system and does it work for you? It maybe a bad receptical or maybe this kinda hookup doesn't work on a bike. I really don't want to go with a "trailer connection two pin connection" kinda thing because then everything would have to be adapted to the plug.
Any ideas

Gary

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Gary -

The cigar lighter dealie didn't work out for me. I had put one up front to plug my GPS into, and it was constantly losing connection due to vibration. My cigar adapter wasn't exactly top of the line, but still. I finally hardwired the GPS power converter into the wiring harness. The cigar lighter socket stayed, but is used only when the bike is parked.

There is a plug and socket system called the Powerlet. Some people refer to them ans "BMW sockets". They are very secure and are, therefore, somewhat of a standard for stuff that's always plugged in, like heated clothes and such.

A bit spendy, but very secure. If you don't want to hardwire your GPS/Cell phone adapter in (it's not that hard, If you have some soldering skills) then the Powerlet is the way to go. You'll need to take the plug apart and add some power wires to run into the Powerlet.

I've got one located at mid-bike for my conmpressor and stuff. Very happy with it.

Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
Couple of things - the wires you're referring to are handy but I don't think will carry much amperage. Why not just run new 14ga wires from the starter solenoid (or direct from the battery) (fused of course) and know that you'll have all the power availaable.

I'm a fan of the SAE connectors (the ones you don't like) - they're cheap and practical. I would modify my charger/power cords to use them and then modify the original ends of the power/charger plug cords to plug back up to the original wire.

Like this - use a cig plug for example. Cut the wire wherever you want, say 6 inches from the male cig plug. Wire on the male end of the SAE connector to the main wire to the device. With the female SAE connector wired to the bike, your're good to go. NOW wire a female SAE connector to the wire from the original cig male plug. When you want to charge from a female cig socket, just put them together. I'm sure I've been totally confusing.

edit just a point, when using the SAE connectors, make sure the protected (female) socket is the hot one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I hear ya. I only want to power my gps and maybe charge my phone. I put a 2 amp fuse in the line to make sure the amps would be down.

I'll have to do what I have to do but the reason for staying with the cig lighter thing is it's being universial without haveing to change a bunch of cords to match the sae. Yes no question the sae it a better connection. May have to go that way.

Yep if I got with anything else I will run a line from the battery. Really right now just messin whith it to see if it makes sense for me to get further involved.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Gary -

Remember that your GPS/Cell phone plug is actually a power converter, so you can't lop off the cigar plug and put an SAE or Powerlet on it. The power converter drops the voltage from 12v down to about 3v-5v to power the GPS.

That's why I hardwired mine into the wiring harness. It's easy to disassemble the plug and solder wires directly to the PC board and hook them up to a convenient power source, or to an SAE connector or Powerlet, which is what I was trying to say above, only I left a bunch of words out...

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's a good thing I didn't do that then. LOL I played with it a little this afternoon. I found that the problem was with the fit from the Garmin 12v cord and the female receptical. I tried a dual outlet pigtail thing and it worked fine. The Garmin plug just didn't like the the outlet I have. I haven't taken it out on the road yet but that will tell the story.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
I have a Garmin plug, too, so maybe it's a Garmin plug issue and not so much a general issue.

I have noticed that there does seem to be a difference between cigar lighter style sockets and real cigar lighter sockets. Maybe the Garmon plug fits tight in a real cigar lighter.

OK, be quiet now, I'm off to do research!

Tom

OK, there ARE two sizes, and believe it or not, there's a Wikipedia page for cigar lighters. There's size A and size B, and there is a difference of a half mm in diameter between the two.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Very good point on the plug acting as a voltage reducer -- not an issue I've had to deal with. If you just really have to neaten it up, a RadioShack resistor wired in will do the same thing.

The two sizes of cig plugs can be a real pain. I actually had one come with larger plastic ring adapter to make it fit better.

And don't forget, many male plugs are now fused. Had a 2/1 converter that I tried to use with a compressor that had a 1 amp fuse in it.

Anyway, good thread. I'd just use the original and throw some silver tape on it.

Don't kiss no pigs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wired in a solenoid fused from the battery then used the aux wires to switch the solenoid on and off turning the "dash" on and off with the key. I also then wired in switches for the grips and the aux outlet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't know that but that is what appears to be the problem. The atv 12v connector must be just a tad larger than the garmin plug. I had a 2 connector pigtail in the truck so I put it in the atv receptical and it fit fine. I then plugged in the garmin plug and it's tight now. It must be the two sizes. Kinda dumb to make different sizes. Wonder that the thinkin is?:mad0235:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah I love the ascot about as much as the KLR for the same reasons really. It's such a simple, jump on and ride anywhere bike. I wouldn't hesitate to ride that thing anywhere... Bulletproof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts