Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put a pair of auxiliary lights on the bike, so I'm retracing my steps from when I thought about this last year. I remember some saying Rigid Industries lights were really nice, and that the premium you pay is worth it. But others, I think, look at the $200–$500 price tag and think, "Heck, I can git a good-enough pair off Amazon for a tenth that!"

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with these lights compared to others, and can talk about quality, longevity, heat, etc.?

I'm looking at their D Series Pro and their D-SS Series. With the D, I'd want to go with the Driving pattern, but with the D-SS, they have side-mounted LEDs so I'd probably go with the Flood. My thinking here is that the point of the Driving pattern is to push the beam out toward the side at the expense of distance illumination (as compared to the flood). With the D-SS, I think it might be a best-of-both-worlds scenario.

D Series Pro:
https://www.rigidindustries.com/d-series-pro-d-series.html

D-SS Series:
https://www.rigidindustries.com/d-ss-series-d-ss-series.html

My main goal would be road illumination, and I'd treat these like the high beam (I'm going to wire them so they'll only go on if the high beam is on), turning them off with any approach of oncoming traffic.

Also, I remember some talk about two different mounts. The Denali:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-auxiliary-light-mounting-bracket-for-kawasaki-klr650e-08

The JNS:

https://www.jnsengineering.com/product/2008-2015-klr650-2-led-light-mount/

Anyone have experience with both these mounts? I remember people saying one was bouncy (jittery) but I can't remember which!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have the JNS mount and installed some cheap CREE lights that I am completely satisfied with.

Before I retired I traveled down a narrow road in the middle of the woods at about 4:45AM on my way to work. I was always afraid that some animal might be in the road and my stock headlight was pitiful at illuminating the way ahead. After I mounted those CREE lights I could see much much farther down that dark road; they were very confidence inspiring.

And being LEDs, they use very little amperage.

Jason

·
Registered
68 Posts
My worry with the cheapies is not performance; it's how long before water intrusion.
My worry with the high price lights is, how long before I damage them going through brush.

Weight these two worries against your usual riding environment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If water intrusion is your concern, buy 4 spare pairs and you will still be less than the cost of anything Rigid makes ...

Its a KLR ... If I were to do Rigid, they go on the FJR ...

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was always afraid that some animal might be in the road and my stock headlight was pitiful at illuminating the way ahead.
This is exactly the thing. I don't do much riding in the dark but I live in an area with a lot of wildlife.

My worry with the cheapies is not performance; it's how long before water intrusion. My worry with the high price lights is, how long before I damage them going through brush.
I'm on board with the notion that getting something cheap is usually not worth the savings. I think in the case of the Rigid lights, they're both higher performance and sturdier. However, when there's an opportunity to save money by putting some effort into the scenario — say like buying the Slime brand motorcycle pump and improving it to match the quality of pumps costing several times as much — I'm definitely game.

One question that comes to mind about the aux lights is beam pattern, brightness and color. I've gone through a few headlamps to find one that I really really like, and spending the extra cash for a good one pays off because its features are nicely balanced and well implemented (I'm talking about the Nitecore NU25: https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-NU25-Headlamp-p/fl-nite-nu25.htm).

I guess my question boils down to this: Does anyone have experience with Rigid lights as well as specific cheaper brands, and would they mind sharing their impressions?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Driving lights are to increase the reach of the light beyond your normal High Beam. Longer field of vision is safer at higher speeds.

Fog lights / Flood Lights will adversely effect your Long Range Vision if used on the High Beam circuit. Because your retinas contract because of the intensity of the light near you.

I wish that automotive fog lights would not operate below xxx of humidity level. So many silly people driving 24/7 with their fog lights ON and half of them are out of focus!
(Another of my pet peeves.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just put on the Denali mount this weekend and its solid as a rock - 10 min install. I bought the cheap lights for many of the reasons listed above. Can replace numerous times IF needed. Depends how much submarine riding do you intend to do? And if damaged I won't cringe a bit !! I installed these lights for drivers ahead to see me coming, not as much for my night time use.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fog lights / Flood Lights will adversely effect your Long Range Vision if used on the High Beam circuit. Because your retinas contract because of the intensity of the light near you.
Interesting. So if I use floods with the high beam, I'm decreasing the advantage of having the high beam on. But the driving lights also illuminate stuff close to me, like the road in front and around. Is the difference that they don't push light into the same part of the field of vision as the high beams do?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
You need to see 'danger' farther away, what is immediately near you is already too late.

IMO, fog lights/flood lights might be good for twisty 30-40 mph roads at 30-50 mph. For speeds of 60mph + you need driving lights.

I've often wondered how a pair of wide-set driving lights might work on a bike if they were set-up, 'cross-eyed & slanted', for cornering purposes (the inside light tilted nearer level)?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
You mean like if you only did right-hand turns, the right light would be pointed lower?
No, in my 'vision' the RH light inside the curve would be aiming Higher/Farther thru the turn and the beam pattern would be tilted to be nearer level when leaned over.
The LH light outside the curve would be aiming to the inside of your RH curve and its beam pattern would appear more vertical because of its tilted mounting.
Therefore I called it 'Cross-eyed & Slanted'.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
This is what I have done with the two LED lights on my lower tripe tree. I call them cornering lights.

If I recall correctly when the bike is vertical the lights are pointed up 5° and out 20°. I'd have to check my notes to be sure of that. When the bike is leaned over at a normal cornering angle (30 degrees) the lights are level and pointed into the turn. They can only come on with the high-beams and are only useful for really dark twisties.

Though I am a light snob, the ones I am using are 12W LED Cheap Chinese Crap lights. They work pretty well for this purpose. Not the best picture, but you can see the mounting point on the lower tree.

·
Registered
374 Posts
... the ones I am using are 12W LED Cheap Chinese Crap lights. They work pretty well for this purpose.
I have the same "crap" lights and they do a great job of illuminating way beyond the Kawasaki lights.

What's more they have held up well after five years of use.

Jason

·
Registered
895 Posts
I've had a set of Cree brand led's on my bike for years that cost 15 bucks. Very happy with them. I think it's these:https://smile.amazon.com/Light-Northpole-Flood-Lights-Driving/dp/B01EJWB62U/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=cree+12+volt+led&qid=1593560484&sr=8-13

I might try these: 12800 lumens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap Batman!

12800-lumen Driving Fog Off Road Lights Triple Row Waterproof Spot Flood Combo Beam LED Cubes Lights for Pickup Truck Jeep ATV UTV SUV Boat, 2 Pack 20 bucks

https://smile.amazon.com/AMBOTHER-12800lm-Driving-Waterproof-Warranty/dp/B07KB56QG7/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=cree+12+volt+led&qid=1593559860&sr=8-11

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
They are pointed up and to the side such that they point into corners when the bike is leaned over. When the bike is upright they are a glare hazard to oncoming drivers.

Since they are a glare hazard, I have them wired into the high-beam circuit to avoid accidental usage. The only time I will use high beam is when it is really dark and there is no oncoming traffic.

These things are great on roads like Highway 154 or 25 on an overcast night ride. It's amazing how many critters there are, sitting in the weeds, watching you go by.

If they are aimed straight ahead and down a couple of degrees they are quite useful as a complement to the high beam.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts