Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Footage please :)
Here's one run with the rig of @birds_are_not_downhill_robots on his second full run ever of this pass, he's been skating for like 4 months and is killing it, already taking the fast lines on big runs!

More vids of @downhill_shamana13 and @crestedmeat will be up later today, just finished the edits and are uploading.

And this one isn't from the bike mount, it's a backwards helmet cam but i think it's just a damn cool video, i love reverse shots with a pack, they just look wild.

I'm still waiting to get the footage of myself that @downhill_shamana13 has from his follow cam of this run.

Follow us on IG for more skate adventures, now that i got my camera i can do vids like this more often, i'm going to go KLRing this week to scout some even bigger, faster and twistier stuff. This hill sends at about 40-45mph tucked on the fast drops and up to 50mph if you're really charging hard through the dips, i lose a bit of speed through 'em. The last one is intense, it literally will launch you right into the narrowing left hander weightless. On the bike chasing at those speeds i've got to use up all the road and grip hard to not run off, lol!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It depends on the roads, on stuff in the vids it's all fast and flowy, but when we hit roads with hairpins and steep tight turns there's plenty of sliding. There was just no reason to slide on that run, we try to tuck and keep as much speed as possible. There's a few spots in town i ride with some hairpins that i'll get 250-300 foot long drifts out of at like 40mph, i just done have vid of a lot of stuff but now that i've got a gopro i can start posting more.

If you want to see some more footage of other crews, check out Boarding Media, Linked Media, S1 Helmets and Josh Neuman on Youtube, some of the best full send skate content out there. Watch Cole Trotta and realize he does half his skating switch, it's insane. Most people can't wipe their butt let handed but he sends it into gnarly standup slides at speed essentially backwards, and it looks so smooth you can't tell if you didn't know.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I'm literally just curious. The sliding always impressed me, but so does bombing downhill at 60 with just a helmet and gloves 🤘You guys are rad~~

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thanks, it's all just part of skateboarding in general. I actually make all the boards i ride, and i sell them or have several ready in case someone needs one, i design, cut, press, shape and basically scratchbuild my boards from sheets of birch laminate. I make stuff i can't buy in terms of size to fit my big feet.

And yeah, after bombing down a hill leaned a foot over the nose of a piece of wood at those speeds (and going down fairly often), having to bail off the KLR at most speeds it operates at is less of a big deal. At least a dozen times a week i find myself ass sliding to a stop from around 40mph while foot braking and trying not to hit anything hard or pointy, that's just how you push the limit and survive to try it again, with practice you get good at bailing and it translates to bikes. I use poor man's 'leathers' which are just thrift shop jeans with about 3 or 4 layers or gorilla tape over the slide point, for me, my right ass cheek as i skate goofy foot. And from lots of real world experience, i can tell you confidently that 3 layers of gorilla tape will provide 100% protection in a slide unless you're racing motoGP speeds, and even then i'd imagine they'd only last two crashes or so at triple digits. Personally i wouldn't, and don't, hesitate to tape up some clothing and call it "gear", it slides just like leather and costs a cents worth of tape and 10 seconds top repair when you finally do get a hole after dozens of slides.

And if anyone IS interested in downhill skating, yes, it's a pretty intense thing, but it IS easy to learn in baby steps. You can have just as much fun at 6mph lazily carving a sloped parking lot as you can at 60mph holding hands with the rider you're "bump drafting", where you push the leading rider and they can pull you if they're tucking faster, it helps keep riders together for tandem or group runs. If you gear up and practice a few simple but important moves, anyone can really do it starting small and learning to slide and stop. Master using your 'brakes' and you can stop as fast as a car with ABS at will using gloves and very basic skills. And yes, he lost that right elbow skin last week at 50+, shit happens lol!

From this video,,,
Screenshot from Christian followcam.mp4.png

21 - 26 of 26 Posts