Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having the 16T on for a few months, I decided to put the 15 back on. It's great on the highway, but that's about it. Alot of my riding is in the 40-45 mph range on backroads, and I got tired of going between 4th and 5th. Also did a lttle gravel road exploring over the weekend and didn't like not being able to chug along in 2nd, or having to use 1st all the time for slow stuff.

I guess on the highway, I'll just slow down a bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try putting on a 42 tooth rear. I found that combined with the 15 tooth front it was very good on the highway. Then in a pinch you can put on a 14 tooth front and have a good combo for off road use.

my two cents anyway.

Coop

·
Registered
35 Posts
My suggestion was to have a 14 tooth front and 42 rear for a good off road combo. then switch to 15 tooth front for highway use. The change time for a front sprocket is minimal.

my two cents anyway.

Coop

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried the 16T front for a while, also went back to the 15T for the same reasons. Also, it seemed to just change the character of the bike some, less KLR-ish somehow. I might try the 42T rear, however, at some point.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the 16T front for a while, also went back to the 15T for the same reasons. Also, it seemed to just change the character of the bike some, less KLR-ish somehow. I might try the 42T rear, however, at some point.

To me it took some of the "dual" out of the dual-purpose nature of an already heavy, compromised D-P bike. Nice to have some of the "snap" back that I got from the $.22 mod.

Hey, I also have another bike with compromised gearing. An XS650 with stupid close ratios, which a bike like that doesn't need. Went from stock 17/34 to 18/30 and it pulls it fine. [email protected], but first is a little tall. You get used to it, though. Of course, I don't trail ride it either!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts