Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2009 KLR with 10k miles on it. I always had minor wobbles which didn't bother me. Bigger ones when I would go over 85mph which I was fine with cos I don't like going over that speed anyway.
Now, I'm on the long trip and the wobble today was really bad! As soon as I get over 60-65mph, it's horrible - death threat! It wasn't bad my first few days.
I got kenda 50/50 tires. tusk hand guards and pro taper handlebars, but I had these for several months and didn't have any issues. I also have 100 pounds of gear on me. It's evenly places. My back tire psi is 35 and front 30. I weight 200lbs.
Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
Check everything for tightness. Pay particular attention to the steering stem nut. Has the tire been balanced?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that I've replaced rear shock 5 days ago and it was running ok. It's rap progressive shock. I've adjusted it to the tightest level cos luggage would make bike stay too straight on side kickstand if shock was any softer. Than knob for shock flew off at some point so can't really adjust it until I get replacement from progressive.
I've also noticed today that my front wheel doesn't have any balance weights on it! Not sure if I had any before, but doubt it would be true just like that, even though it's klr so you never know.
I took off earlier today most of my luggage and front end still feels weird even at lower speeds!?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Might be worth a try to reinstall the original rear shock to see if that improves things.
Regards....justjeff

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
Can you remove the luggage and take the bike for a run to see what it does?

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Check everything for tightness. Pay particular attention to the steering stem nut. Has the tire been balanced?
Renimus,
Have you checked That steering stem nut, under the handlebars yet?
Seen that problem several times.
Does the front rim run 'fairly' true and is the F. tire bead 'seated' evenly on the rim?
Try 34-36 PSI in the F. tire, I always run +2 psi in the front, compared to back, but not exceeding Max. pressure.

Can you move some of the baggage weight 'forward'? Onto the seat, instead of the rear portion of bags or rack? This is a fairly common issue!

Is the bike 'lowered' for short legs? As in fork legs slid up thru the fork clamps?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have 2009 KLR with 10k miles on it. I always had minor wobbles which didn't bother me. Bigger ones when I would go over 85mph which I was fine with cos I don't like going over that speed anyway.
Now, I'm on the long trip and the wobble today was really bad! As soon as I get over 60-65mph, it's horrible - death threat! It wasn't bad my first few days.
I got kenda 50/50 tires. tusk hand guards and pro taper handlebars, but I had these for several months and didn't have any issues. I also have 100 pounds of gear on me. It's evenly places. My back tire psi is 35 and front 30. I weight 200lbs.
Any suggestions?

Check the allen bolts holding the front axle. Check the spokes. Check the steering stem, with the front wheel off the ground the front should slowly flop over when given a good nudge. To adjust the steering nut you have to loosen the top clamps, loosen the nut and then turn the adjuster.

If all that checks out look at the weight bias. The bike should be slightly biased towards the front. You've got the preload cranked apparently so either take some weight off the back or raise the forks in the clamps a bit that will put more weight on the front.

I always run more pressure in the back than the front. Typically 34 front 38 back. 30 lbs in the front seems too low for your load. Don't worry about tire balancing especially with 50/50 tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've always had a minor wobble at higher speeds on my 2009 as well. The steering stem nut was tight. Wobble was worse when I had my hard case luggage on, so I figured it must be from wind.

What fixed it for me was replacing the front fender. I got one a little more aerodynamic and the bike runs straight now!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good advice from the previous posts. This is NOT uncommon:weight MUST be distributed a bit more forward, the hardware all needs to be tight, and using 50/50 tires;I wouldn't exceed 65mph...too dang dangerous!
Good luck. Find the Problem!!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Here is an other thing to look at.....I was returning from a ride with a group of guys last fall. The guy ahead of me was continually fishtailing about 2 inches while traveling down the highway. At a stop we were discussing this and he said it had always been like that from when he had bought the bike used. We checked over the bike and found you could move the swing arm side to side about 1/8". He repaired that later and his troublesome wobble went away.
Check over the rear as well as the front. Wheel bearings could cause this too.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
482 Posts
Had a metezler tourance that did this, tried rebalance at shop with electronic high end balance machine many time, could never get it right. Tested fine but once on the bike wobbled.

Taking hands off the bars resulted in worsening wobble.

Changed to shinko, no balance and it was perfectly fine.
Never did figure out why. It was obviously the tire but couldn't understand why.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Bottom line:This phenomenon is potentially fatal, relatively common,with multiple issues identified as causes. IMHO this is an "under-discussed" topic. I believe primary causes come down to three issues: suspension,aggressive front tire,and weight imbalance toward rear of bike.
I know too many guys that had these really bad tank slapper accidents! They are high side crashes with significant injury.
Let's educate!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had that wobble too

I took off my Kendas, put on a set of Michelin Aneke III's, the bike glides up to 85 plus like an arrow now. Not sure if Michelin makes a 50/50 tire though, the Aneke is like 90/10

·
Registered
120 Posts
After doing the usual things; proper psi, different tire, replace oil in front shocks, change fender, check sag... A fork brace stopped my wobble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Front fender beak grabs the wind get an acerbis super motard or similar, simply remove the stock fender and ride to verify. OR the issue gets worse following another vehicle

I've always had a minor wobble at higher speeds on my 2009 as well. The steering stem nut was tight. Wobble was worse when I had my hard case luggage on, so I figured it must be from wind.

What fixed it for me was replacing the front fender. I got one a little more aerodynamic and the bike runs straight now!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Front wheel steering wobble (or head shake) most frequently occurs in the 25-40 MPH range. It is caused by front wheel problems, such as wheel out of true, uneven tire wear patterns, or less significantly, out of balance. Just leaving your hands—even one hand—on the handlebar quells it.

At those low speeds, aerodynamic forces on the fender or bike are not high enough to cause it. But it’s easy to prove this to yourself by removing the front fender, testing it, and then putting the front fender back on and testing it again.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Well the OP has been gone for 5 years but here's my wobble post for anyone else reading;

Way too many people think that addressing the symptoms by dealing with handguards, fenders, fork braces, etc. are the answer rather than dealing with the real issue which is related to suspension setup and loading. I'm not convinced that the KLR is any more susceptible to instability than any other bike with long travel, lightly damped suspension and the Owner's have a propensity for severe and uneven loading.

There are some problems that need to be checked;

- bad/lose head bearings

- condition of wheel bearings and suspension bushings

- wheel and tire condition and appropriate tire pressures.

.....beyond that, It's settings;

- proper sag settings and adequate damping

- proper bike loading

- avoiding inappropriately un-aerodynamic loads

addressing the symptoms rather than the cause can help but IMO shouldn't be done until all the aforementioned items are checked and corrected if necessary. Nonetheless these can help stability;

- fork brace

- smaller fender or lowered fender (I use a polisport as I hate both the supermoto and low mounted fenders)

- consider tank bags instead of putting everything in huge panniers which affects both weight loading and aerodynamics.

My 2001 had some high speed issues that went away as soon as the sag was set properly....and after my Cogent suspension was installed, both my KLR's have been rock steady.....even with full knobbies and low tire pressures (20 - 22PSI). Lastly, as others have mentioned, the rider also plays a part; keep a relaxed light grip on the bars and don't tighten up. Changing your position (move forward/lean forward) can help too.

2 cents,

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts