3,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow! Maybe you should have checked your doohickey more often!
All kidding aside, I have an EM kit on order, just wondering if you can tell when the factory piece isn't doing its job.
My 2009 has 7000 miles on it, and I adjust it every oil change.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Normally, when you adjust the balancer the engine becomes noticeably quieter. If you pay attention to how the engine sounds and if, after adjustment, it doesn't sound a bit better then it is likely that the spring has used up all it's tension.

Reports on the Gen 2 is that the spring is found to be slack as early as the first adjustment and as late as 'never', but several thousand miles seems to be the norm.

If in doubt, remove the outer cover; you'll be able to see the bottom of the lever. Using a long probe of some sort, reach in and try to move the lever. If it moves, she's done.

I'll find a picture in a minute.

The visible part of the doohickey is outlined in red here:
r

You can reach in and catch the end of the arc on both sides and see if it wiggles.

Tom

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
My post was a joke of course. About the only way you can tell if a Doohickey is still doing it's job is to open it up and check.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
If the machine is not vibrating excessively when the engine is running, chances are balancer chain tension is adequate. No indication of whether sufficient spring tension exists for future adjustments is discernible, however, without some disassembly.

Obviously, the hold-down bolt must be loosened to manipulate the doohickey, after the case cover is removed. Don't forget to torque it down after the inspection! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered a doohickey kit with tools from Eagle Mike Thursday. I've never been that far into a four stroke before. It will be interesting.

·
Banned
411 Posts
Just follow his instructions closely and you will have no problem, you will be surprised how easy it is...

Don't overtorque bolts during reassembly! It is a common issue for people without a proper torque wrench working with aluminum casings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recently bought a set of torque wrenches with 1/2",3/8" foot pounds, and 1/4" inch pounds. I also have an old Craftsman beam type 1/2". I've watched a video, and it doesn't look all that bad, but I'd rather have someone there that's done it before.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
...Obviously, the hold-down bolt must be loosened to manipulate the doohickey, after the case cover is removed. Don't forget to torque it down after the inspection! :)
Yes, I failed to mentioned that, thanks for catching.

...You can reach in and catch the end of the arc on both sides and see if it wiggles...
Is not really concise, either.

Using a probe, it should not be possible to move the lever significantly to the left, which is the tightening direction. It may wiggle on the shaft, but the spring should be holding the tension in the shaft if it is working.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Ah! I always wondered what happened to this one:

Tom

·
Registered
203 Posts
Help when working

KLRinDixie,
I am the same as you. A trusted partner or another experienced hand is always good advice. There were several times when I was doing my upgrade I needed an extra pair of hands.
I did watch several videos and downloaded Eagle Mike's instructions off his club site. I think the most helpful choice I made was watch the video and create a check list of steps. From there I looked at other videos and added a couple of steps.
Once I started working on the bike, the checklist was the best idea I had. It made sure I followed each step and didn't get side tracked along the way.
Be patient, taking your time and research it before you start. I found watching the videos helped me challenge this upgrade with confidence. Still I was very cautious, but in the end, very successful and happy.
Best of luck.
Jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts