Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1987 $200 basket case klr650
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the post 96 balancer tensioner sprocket (39133-1060) can be used on a pre 96 (1987) if I also swap the spacer behind it. It's much easier for me to find that sprocket than the pre 96 (12046-1114). The rubber on mine is almost gone on the back side of the gear causing a lot of slack in the chain. I've looked at pictures and can't see differences in the cases between the years but I don't have dimensions. I know the other gears without the springs work and I plan on swapping those. Thanks

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
Even if the old ones were available they are not what you would want to put in. Updating the two-piece balancer sprockets with the one-piece is the way to go. Please read this recent post by our old GOAT, @pdwestman.

Reactions: MCP

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if the old ones were available they are not what you would want to put in. Updating the two-piece balancer sprockets with the one-piece is the way to go. Please read this recent post by our old GOAT, @pdwestman.

Maybe you misread, I am updating the old 2 piece sprockets with springs to the post 96 one piece sprockets. That covers 2 of the 3 sprockets. The third sprocket which is the idler sprocket that tensions the chain is a one piece pre 96 and post 96. My idler sprocket is worn but it is hard to find this gear (12046-1114) which is why I'm asking if the later idler sprocket will work (39133-1060) with the different spacer in the diagram as well

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
From Paul's post:

"The narrow/early style adjuster sprocket is no-longer available and the 1996+ part is TOO Wide to the fit early cases. "

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From Paul's post:

"The narrow/early style adjuster sprocket is no-longer available and the 1996+ part is TOO Wide to the fit early cases. "
Okay great that's what I was wanting to know, thank you. I would have read the link you sent more in depth but ended up occupied. I've sourced the single piece sprockets. According to this info I'll have to find a pre 96 idler sprocket. I've found an nos one but it is in another country. I just wonder if the wider idler can be modified to fit so a source of replacement sprockets is easier to find

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
I'll see if I can find a late idler out in the Shed of Horrors to compare to an early one I have in the shop. Might be able to do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll see if I can find a late idler out in the Shed of Horrors to compare to an early one I have in the shop. Might be able to do it tomorrow.
That would be fantastic if you could, thank you. I'm not sure what others do when their idlers wear out on gen 1 bikes cause as far as my sources go they are fairly scarce

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
The rubber on mine is almost gone on the back side of the gear causing a lot of slack in the chain.
There never was ANY Rubber on the backside of my 1987 tensioner sprocket. just a very thick spacer. But the boss for the eccentric shaft on my 1987 was shouldered, the 2005 donor engine had a machined flat surface. Even with the thinner spacer behind the 2005 sprocket the assembly was out of alignment and would have broken the inner cover if attempted to bolt it on over the shaft.

I'm not saying that one couldn't Dremal tool the boss flat with the engine case. But I didn't feel it was worth the effort of trying to keep the metal chips out of Every Thing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There never was ANY Rubber on the backside of my 1987 tensioner sprocket. just a very thick spacer. But the boss for the eccentric shaft on my 1987 was shouldered, the 2005 donor engine had a machined flat surface. Even with the thinner spacer behind the 2005 sprocket the assembly was out of alignment and would have broken the inner cover if attempted to bolt it on over the shaft.

I'm not saying that one couldn't Dremal tool the boss flat with the engine case. But I didn't feel it was worth the effort of trying to keep the metal chips out of Every Thing!
I think I see what you mean on that boss. I agree that it would be a real pain to shorten it and not get crap everywhere. Plus I'd be worried the sprockets aren't exactly lined up or at least a little off. So that answers that question, thanks.

Now you mentioned your tensioner sprocket had no rubber. Was it gone or never there? Mine has some but it seems the chain got a little hungry and decided to bite it. The front rubber is actually pretty good I'm just not sure how up to the task it is. Any advice?
Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Rim Wood

I feel like a burden but I do have one more question on this basket case klr. I found the lower left balancer had no spacer behind it where it calls for a 20.2x36x3 (92026-1208) well I tried a 3mm washer behind it that was very close in the other dimensions and the sprocket/weight would not slide far enough on for the C clip to seat. However, I tried a 20.2x36x2 spacer (92022-1880), which is for the upper right sprocket, and it fit perfectly (with no front to back play at all). How could this be?

Oh yeah...to add to the confusion my top right sprocket which calls for a 1.5mm washer (92022-1489) has a .5mm washer but it seems a 1.5mm would fit. What is going on here?

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
Now you mentioned your tensioner sprocket had no rubber. Was it gone or never there?
The backside of my 1987 tensioner sprocket was level / flat with the sprocket teeth. Never had any rubber on the backside, rubber cushion only on the Front Side.

Oh yeah...to add to the confusion my top right sprocket which calls for a 1.5mm washer (92022-1489) has a .5mm washer but it seems a 1.5mm would fit. What is going on here?
It seems to me that someone has been into your balancer system before you. The balancer weights should very little lateral movement on their shaft splines.

I just wonder if the wider idler can be modified to fit so a source of replacement sprockets is easier to find
It could be possible that the previous person machined the backside of a '96 + tensioner sprocket to allow the thick spacer of the 87-95 sprocket to sit inside the cupped area? Could you do the same?

I'll suggest that you Open all Four of these parts screens & carefully compare all related part NUMBERS.
Use the part number SEARCH box at the bottom of the screen.
1987, 1987 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650-A1) Balancer | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

1995, 1995 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650-A9) Balancer | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1996+, 1996 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650-A10) Balancer | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

2007, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650A7F) Balancer | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse
The 96 and 07 balancer weights sprockets DIAGRAMS look different, but the Part Numbers are IDENTICAL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The backside of my 1987 tensioner sprocket was level / flat with the sprocket teeth. Never had any rubber on the backside, rubber cushion only on the Front Side.

It seems to me that someone has been into your balancer system before you. The balancer weights should very little lateral movement on their shaft splines.

It could be possible that the previous person machined the backside of a '96 + tensioner sprocket to allow the thick spacer of the 87-95 sprocket to sit inside the cupped area? Could you do the same?

I'll suggest that you Open all Four of these parts screens & carefully compare all related part NUMBERS.
Use the part number SEARCH box at the bottom of the screen.
1987, 1987 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650-A1) Balancer | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

1995, 1995 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650-A9) Balancer | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1996+, 1996 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650-A10) Balancer | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

2007, 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650A7F) Balancer | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse
The 96 and 07 balancer weights sprockets DIAGRAMS look different, but the Part Numbers are IDENTICAL.

I agree someone has been in this engine. As far as spacers go I should get the missing 1.5mm. I'm still unsure though as to why only a 2mm thick spacer fits where it calls for a 3mm spacer, this is behind the left lower counter balance sprocket with spacer part # 92026-1208. Same story with old two piece sprocket and new one piece

As for the tensioner sprocket, it doesn't seemed machined by anyone. As a matter of fact I can search part number 12046-1114 and find a sprocket like you described that's flat on the back and a sprocket with the cupped section like I have under the same part number. Is it possible this part had a redesign or something? It seems the sprockets would function the same and I suppose use the same thick spacer, mine just having the extra material around the spacer but not an overall greater thickness I would imagine. So maybe if I found a sprocket that's flat like you have, it would also work.

The reason I thought a 96+ would work with a thinner spacer in the first place is because my sprocket looks almost identical to a 96+ just with a deeper cupped area. Again, I don't think anyone has modified my sprocket but that is a good idea

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
As for the tensioner sprocket, it doesn't seemed machined by anyone. As a matter of fact I can search part number 12046-1114 and find a sprocket like you described that's flat on the back and a sprocket with the cupped section like I have under the same part number. Is it possible this part had a redesign or something? It seems the sprockets would function the same and I suppose use the same thick spacer, mine just having the extra material around the spacer but not an overall greater thickness I would imagine. So maybe if I found a sprocket that's flat like you have, it would also work.

The reason I thought a 96+ would work with a thinner spacer in the first place is because my sprocket looks almost identical to a 96+ just with a deeper cupped area. Again, I don't think anyone has modified my sprocket but that is a good idea
Anything is possible. Some mid-production changes have been lost in transitions on several models, super-sessions no longer shown on parts screens.

Ahhhhh, Now I'm remembering more of the issue.
I can only say that the 2005 eccentric shaft (with longer doo engagement area & no outer circlip), needle bearing, tensioner sprocket and 12026-1462 spacer (dimensions not listed) held the tensioner sprocket OUT of alignment with the raised center rib of the rear chain guide, because of the boss around the bore, on the main case. And would have held the inner cover away from the gasket surface. As the rubber on my 1987 tensioner sprocket was NOT chipping off, I did not feel the need to modify (thinner) or search for a replacement spacer to use behind the 2005 tensioner sprocket.

You need to measure width of stacked parts and available clearance between engine case and inner cover carefully and probably test fit the inner cover without a gasket in place. The compressed gasket might be .015" - .020" thick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anything is possible. Some mid-production changes have been lost in transitions on several models, super-sessions no longer shown on parts screens.

Ahhhhh, Now I'm remembering more of the issue.
I can only say that the 2005 eccentric shaft (with longer doo engagement area & no outer circlip), needle bearing, tensioner sprocket and 12026-1462 spacer (dimensions not listed) held the tensioner sprocket OUT of alignment with the raised center rib of the rear chain guide, because of the boss around the bore, on the main case. And would have held the inner cover away from the gasket surface. As the rubber on my 1987 tensioner sprocket was NOT chipping off, I did not feel the need to modify (thinner) or search for a replacement spacer to use behind the 2005 tensioner sprocket.

You need to measure width of stacked parts and available clearance between engine case and inner cover carefully and probably test fit the inner cover without a gasket in place. The compressed gasket might be .015" - .020" thick.

Well I was able to source a 96+ tensioner sprocket for very cheap so I decided to order it as a bit of an experiment. I've also found a pre 96 tensioner sprocket that is flat on the back like you described and could possibly order that if this doesn't work out. The only sprocket I can find that matches what I have is in Germany. I do have calipers for measuring these parts so I will definitely do that when this 96+ sprocket gets here. Based on what you've told me and pictures I can find, I'll likely have to mess around with spacers to get this sprocket in right. Hopefully I can figure something out without machine work. I will update that situation when I receive the sprocket.

Now in the meantime I have been trying to figure out why I can only fit a 2mm spacer where diagrams call for a 3mm. This is behind the lower left balancer sprocket. Spacer is 92026-1208. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
Using a feeler gauge between the outer circlip & a 96+ lower forward balance weight, how little/much clearance is there with the 2mm spacer behind the sprocket?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I managed to fit a .006" or .152mm guage albeit snuggly. This was the same for the 2 piece and 1 piece sprockets. I could not detect any play in-out by hand

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
I'll suggest that is a good as its going to get!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right, it's almost as if it was intended to have a 2mm spacer but the diagrams call for a 3mm. Another mystery to me but I don't think it will cause any issues. I will update once the 96+ tensioner is here. I really do appreciate your input, these bikes are relatively new to me

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
Alright, sorry about being late with this. TLW conned me into an all-day affair making macaron yesterday. Since that consumed a lot of egg whites we've now got a lot of egg yolks left over, so I'm roped into making crème brulée today. Right now there is a break in the action.

These are the two idlers that I was able to lay my hands on. I think the one that measures .517" is the part that is listed as fitting the '84 through '95. The other one, .670", is from an '08.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Rim Tints and shades

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Tire Rim

Wood Automotive tire Auto part Circle Metal

Hand Finger Nail Thumb Material property

Automotive tire Finger Thumb Nail Gas

Is any of this helpful? Does the one that measures .517" look like the one in your engine?

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
Please read this recent post by our old GOAT,
I've been gonna' ask Tom, just who is the old GOAT?

I've never split the main cases on any KLR650 and I've never taken as many measurements of nearly as many KLR pieces as he has. I don't do pics or videos either.

Good that we have a great working relationship tho. :)

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
Any idjit can do that. Heck, I do it all the time. Doing that and being handsome is all the game I got.

But when a guy from Poland posts up about excessive endplays on an engine that has no specs for endplays and there's a guy what knows the answer, how to fix it, and gets it in one take, well, that's a GOAT.

The only thing I could have added to that post is "Uh, I tightened up the endplay in my clutch basket to about a quarter mm just because, but there isn't a spec for it. The endplay on yer crank looks excessive, but IONO, there isn't a spec for it." So I didn't touch it. I was pretty sure you would...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts