1987 $200 basket case klr650
Alright thank you for your thoughts on that. Right after my last message I actually received my 96+ sprocket so I did some messing around. Instead of hunting for a spacer I made a crude one out of some old tin for a way to mock up an assembly. It ended up having a thickness of .6mm. This was slid on the back of the eccentric shaft and had the same OD/ID of the original 4.3mm spacer from the old sprocket so sliding over the boss was a non issue. Of course my 96+ sprocket on the pre 96 e-shaft had some overhang over both the bearing and larger diameter portion of the e-shaft, but it still seemed supported. Although I have not looked into that as much, yet. I also had the c-clip and front spacer installed on the e-shaft. I was able to put on my alternator case without a gasket and it had no gaps or binding issues. The newer style sprocket also did not contact anything it wasn't supposed to with the .6mm spacer behind. I also found that the sprocket teeth were a very similar distance away from the engine case to that of the old sprocket so chain alignment is very close it seems. I'm going to do more messing around shortly.I don't think that is necessary. More on that in a bit.
I found the WASHER, 20.3X36X1.5 92022-1489 and installed that on the eccentric. The boss on the crankcase won't support it, so that was a bad idea. Forget about it; we're down to the Yamaha washer.
We know that the Yamaha solution will make for a tight assembly, depending upon the individual parts and the stacking of tolerances. In looking at a remedy for a zero-slop assembly, it looks to me like some material could be removed, very easily, from the inboard boss of the inner alternator case. The case will be off anyway and accessibility to the boss is good. It wouldn't be all that hard to remove a bit of material quite evenly if one were careful.
Since the only reason for getting another alternator case is in the hope that it would provide a bit more room and since it is so easy to remedy that, I see no reason to get a different inner alternator case.
Also the .6mm thickness was chosen simply because it is what I found first. I'm going to try and find something 1mm thick as well.