Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all. Got banned from klr.net by Glenn for a short bit. So I'm joining this one. Hopefully I can hang and not offend. I live in Cabot AR and just got a 2011 KLR black and silver. Just put 300 miles, doin the second oil change and all that. Love this bike better than the rest I'Ve owned.

Don't want to turn this thread into something it should not be but tell me now if dissenting opinions are allowed? I don't even know why I got banned from the other site, got no response with my inquiry.

Anyways I will stick to the basics. Mostly interested in DIY projects for the KLR, good places to ride. Info about the TAT, and general maintenance stuff.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dissenting opinions are OK here provided everything remains cordial and intelligent.
Welcome to the forum of the brotherhood of the banned :)

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
ammca -

Hi and welcome!

Of course dissenting opinions are allowed! We're honest and forthright, but we don't go to a personal level.

We try and conduct ourselves as we would if we were just back from a good ride and were sitting around the campfire shooting the breeze. Same rules apply.

For DIY stuff, check out the stickied post "Common Mods and Issues" in the Wrenching sub forums. For rides, keep yer ear to the ground. Ask questions, give answers, have fun...

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dissenting opinions are OK here provided everything remains cordial and intelligent.
Welcome to the forum of the brotherhood of the banned :)
I like the "brotherhood of the banned" I did some searches that pointed me to other forums where people made the same such statements or said it was a right of passage on that forum.

Anyways, I have been a memeber on many forums and never had a problem just a bit surprising and it took me off guard. I could see if I went out of my way to be an a$$ and then I would half expect it.

Looking forward to this membership

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Banned from .net?

Think nothing of it, ammca!

Narcissistic, otherwise unemployed pothead adult children living with their parents operate mysteriously as website administrators.

You'll be welcome here!

No fawning vendors here, exploiting free publicity for mercenary purposes, no enabling of a capricious and arbitrary administrator for the purpose only of cultinvating him in hope of making money . . . I could go on!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome to the forum ammca. Haven't been around long myself but it seems like the folks here like to have fun. Your as good as gold IMO as long as you help a brother (or sister) out with the trails in your area. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glasser,

Well i only have just over 300 miles on the beast. The only off road flogging I got was at the end of a huge ritzy subdiv called greystone estates. there is a gravel road that leads to powerlines. It is somewhat wet here and the mud was ridiculous. It took me about an hour with a pressure washer to get mud off this bike. It was so slick I dumped the bike 3 or 4 times and worked up a sweat lifting this bike off the ground. This was the only time I wish I was on a 4 wheeler. Just could not keep the ass end under me. Good thing is, no broken plastic or damage. Now I have done some research and this is the site I found for some good legal off road trails in Arkansas.

Whoops! I have to have 15 posts before I can post the URL to the site I am speaking of. You can do the same search I did off of google. I just punched in off highway trails in arkansas. it's called "find off road trails" I hope that is not breaking the rules being cryptic like this.

I have not tried them yet but I have talked to few of my daughters friends who dirtbike and stated some of the parks have miles and 100s of acres to ride. It has links for other states as well. I like this site as I have tried the regular Arkansas Parks and such websites for the trail heads and maps which are free but just plain confusing as to what trails are used for what (horses, mountain bike only, atv and dirtbike to full on off road vehicles) I work in federal LE, (dont hold this against me as i am very laid back), and talked to a few that worked in local PDs about the power line riding here. Its legal unless you have to cross posted private property of course. So access off public roads to the power lines is legal. I have not fully confirmed all this yet. Even though Im in LE I work at a federal training academy therefore dont work the street or have a lot of contacts with local PD folks. So Im just a little clueless as to knowing exactly where the legal powerline riding is. I know every state is a little different. My big plans are riding a section of the TAT. Tennesee through OK. Maybe 10 days worth with my father and brother in-law. Have not finalized this yet but thats the plan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, i think I understand why I got punted from the .net forum. I will just explain this and leave the topic alone. Glenn was bantering back and forth witha a couple of forum members about Dr Frazier. He wrote a bunch of books about his travels and his 5 trips circumnavigating the globe. I saw his books in a catalog of motorcycle stuff and ding! light bulb finally came on.

Glenn was all upset that this Dr Frazier did not contribute to the KLR community because he rides a klr on his trips. Someone spoke up and they started bantering. then someone piped in defending glenn, a disciple of his I guess and after I read about 10 posts of this thread I said "this is funny, who cares if this guy contributes or not. If he was riding a gold wing would he even care? then I said that we could get just as useful info from the other forum members. I am sure that there are doctors ditch diggers and the homeless that have posted with useful info" oh and I also said I didnt know who this Dr. was. I never even knew Glenn was the site admin> didnt even look at all his little things under his name. His signature has all kinds of other stuff that kind of grabs your attention> so he punted me and the message said to know what the thread is before posting and don't use false location. whatever that means exactly, I don't know.

So you can see it takes very little to hurt his feelings I guess. So that is off my chest.

Thanks for all the welcomes and I will strive to put my best foot forward. Hate to get punted from all the klr forums and have to buy a service manual and figure all this stuff out by myself. Well I will still by a service manual or clymer manual. Please realize I am not trying to make this a glenn bash fest on this thread just wanted to get it off my chest. Guess Im still just flabergasted by his reaction. DONE OVER I'm gettin a beer!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just punched in off highway trails in arkansas. it's called "find off road trails" I hope that is not breaking the rules being cryptic like this.
Thanks ammca I'll give it a whirl. You might try googling SLAP Arkansas. Yearly ride close to White Rock Mountain put on by some NW Arkie good- natured hooligans. :)

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I just got an invite to Fairfield Bay, Arkansas. (How come every time I see the word Arkansas I think of the movie Deliverance??) I digress. Buddy has a condo for a week at the end of March and told me to get my butt and Goldwing down there. Over to Google Maps. Wow, 3000km one way. Crazy thing is I'm actually thinking about it. Gotta find a covered trailer to haul the bike down.

Anyway welcome to the forum Arkansasians.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
So you can see it takes very little to hurt his feelings I guess.
Indeed.

Glenn, from his defensive, reckless, vindictive and petulant practice of banning any and all who disagree with him, apparently harbors deep feelings of insecurity and inadequacy.

Then again, he may genuinely have lots to feel insecure and inadequate about.

Your scenario at .net isn't unique or even unusual, ammca. You're in good company!

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
Welcome to the forum, ammca. There are lots of good folks on here who are more than willing to offer advice and help you out if you have problems. I know they've certainly saved me my share of wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth while working on and planning certain projects.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks ammca I'll give it a whirl. You might try googling SLAP Arkansas. Yearly ride close to White Rock Mountain put on by some NW Arkie good- natured hooligans. :)
was reading about that on the ADV Rider forum i think unless it was the .net forum. Sounds like a good time. They were talking about booking cabins and bunk rooms or camp spots for tents. I'd be doing the tent thing. I forget the dates. I will google it. I need to find some other on/off road folks. a lot of squids in AR or a boat load of cruisers. Ive seen a few good road bikers here that seem to know what thier doin, and dress for the mess.

·
Registered
689 Posts
to aamca: i have the full set of maps for the T.A.T. Hoping to do the entire affair this year. What time of year do you think is best? i am figuring a six week trip from TN. to OR and shipping the bike home from L.A. flying home. Last year an accident in May messed up my trip, but the weather last year made some aspects of the trail less than desirable.....I can go anytime,as I am retired and married to a great woman..Oh ya...welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
One other thing.. Not sure if you're a photo or attachment guy, but you'll need 15 posts before you're able to do so.. It's a guard in place against spammers, so just posts some jokes in the humor forum and enjoy the site!!:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have the full set of maps for the T.A.T.
Masterlink, Do you have the roll charts too? I been looking at Sam Correra's web site about the TAT. pretty much says you need the roll charts and the maps together. Not sure on that. The southern route TN to OK is supposed to be 98 to 100% GPS'ed but not sure if that means regular North America Maps or some back country Topo GPS. His site is very informative and has some good info on when to go or what months or date ranges for traveling the different sections. You don't have anyone going with you? I wish I could do the whole thing but can't take that long off of work. So the southern section will be first since I can come home back into AR pretty easily. The southern route is not as knarly so I will cut my teeth on this. I have only ridden old two stroke dirt bikes growing up and they are a little lighter and never had gear strapped on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One other thing.. Not sure if you're a photo or attachment guy
So do I use the image host link on here? or do i use an off site photo storage and upload them that way? like flickr or photobucket. never used those before. Also I am not opposed to pay for a membership to have these options within the forum but I have not seen anything on here for upgraded membership or anything. Id love to be able to post pics of any DIY project I do. I failed to do that on another forum when I did a couple cool projects on the bike and never documented with pics.

I saw an old thread about forum stickers. are they available somewhere anymore. This thread was OLD>>> so don't know if you all do that here.
Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
No membership required, you just need 15 posts before putting up pictures and links.
Keeps spammers away.

I use Photobucket myself, pretty simple and there's a phone app to up load your pics easily if you take pictures with the phone.

For other pictures you can get the url and post it, Mozilla lets you right click and select
"copy image location" and then paste it into the forums.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts