Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
That's correct - I've not done any steps on this leak (welding, epoxy, other) other that the chemical, and it's inconclusive as to whether the Barr's Leaks sealed the radiator; at this point it appears so, but the leak was very small ( approx. 10 ml/1000 miles) so it's hard to say. I think this weekend's stress testing will be more revealing.

Even if it did seal the leak, I'll feel better when I upgrade to something sturdier.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
That's correct - I've not done any steps on this leak (welding, epoxy, other) other that the chemical, and it's inconclusive as to whether the Barr's Leaks sealed the radiator; at this point it appears so, but the leak was very small ( approx. 10 ml/1000 miles) so it's hard to say. I think this weekend's stress testing will be more revealing.

Even if it did seal the leak, I'll feel better when I upgrade to something sturdier.
Congratulations on sealing the leak!

"Better Living Through Chemistry!"

Quite a testimonial to Barr's Leaks. Economical, too, when compared to, "something sturdier" (new radiator).

:)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Here is my experience with leaks and fixing leaks in motorcycle radiators. I have had several mechanical damage caused leaks (often on the road or in the woods) on my Goldwing and my KLRs- bolts falling off Harleys in front of me, rocks kicked up, the screen on the radiator vibrating and rubbing holes on the edge of the tubes and low speed drops that bent the radiator, etc. In all these cases I used JB Weld externally at the leak location with 100% success. On a small difficult to get to leak on my KLR while the Trans-America Trail I stopped at an auto parts store for some "Stop Leak". I prorated the amount based on the size of the KLR's radiator. That held for about 1,500 miles until I finished the TAT and the leak then reappeared. I had it repaired at a radiator shop and rode home on the highway.

My experience is that "Stop Leak" used in accordance with the instructions will not harm the radiator.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Test results...

The leak reappeared after about 150-200 miles of "moderate" trail riding, so i think that the chemical fixes may be a good short term fix to keep you going until a better repair can be made.

Personally, I'm just going to keep an eye on the fluid level until I break down and replace it with a more sturdy radiator.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The leak reappeared after about 150-200 miles of "moderate" trail riding, so i think that the chemical fixes may be a good short term fix to keep you going until a better repair can be made.
Didn't you FLUSH your radiator, after you initially applied Barr's Leaks? To rid the cooling system of the chemical stop leak? Maybe, re-opening the hole plugged by the, "snake oil?" Just askin'! :)

Regardless, glad you haven't burned up your engine; keep us advised on your better repair.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's a valid thought; as I did flush out the radiator with lots of water after the first chemical experience, I also probably flushed out any remaining sealing chemical.

As long as it is running (and cooling) acceptably, I figure to live with the little leak for now and do a more permanent repair when things cool off a bit. I've gotten fairly adept at pulling the radiator recently, so replacing it should not be too much of a hassle...

All told, I'm impressed with the toughness of this bike - even with the coolant leak, it still runs well and keeps coming back for more.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Understand.

You choose to let your radiator leak, rather than applying Bar's Leaks (or other radiator sealant), in fear of compromise/damage to your cooling system from these products.

Your bike!

:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
epilogue

Hi - just to complete my radiator story...

I pulled the radiator, flushed it out, and sent it to Myler's for repair and reinforcement. It came back in about a week and after installation, filling it up, and testing, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the repair. They're nice folks to deal with, and it ended up costing less than I'd expected, even after including the shipping expenses.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback - I certainly learned a lot about the cooling system between the forum and the "hands on" experience.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts