Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Such a great time to be had at BOOH!! Riding dual sports.......eating German food......sitting around the campfire.......and more! If you haven't been to Helen, come check out the Bavarian countryside in the North GA Mountains! Great food and 'sights' in these mountains! GA and nearby NC/SC has some wonderful riding!

Who: Anyone wanting some Dualsport action and German Cuisine!
What: Bat Out Of Helen
Where: Cherokee Campground Cherokee Campground
When: October 21 23 (Early bird is Thurs -20th)
Why: To Ride and Feast

We will be staying in campsites #5, 6, and 7 designated for just tents!! They are in the back of the campground...... #7 is normally used as our campfire site. I told the owner, Phillip and Patty that we may have between 10-15 riders ..... that will work out for them. We will just take care of the cost of the sites when we get there. Normally we take up enough money from everyone to cover the cost.

Last year's BOOH 2015

ATTENDING..................WHEN...................STEED
cherokee_chuck..........Thur(pm)-Sun.........KLR719
Jagget_Snitt...............Thur(pm)-Sun?........KLR685

* I have got ideas for adding some new riding areas on Friday and/or Saturday!

Multiple people per campsite.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updated..........

Such a great time to be had at BOOH!! Riding dual sports.......eating German food......sitting around the campfire.......and more! If you haven't been to Helen, come check out the Bavarian countryside in the North GA Mountains! Great food and 'sights' in these mountains! GA and nearby NC/SC has some wonderful riding!

We will be staying in campsites #5, 6, and 7 designated for just tents!! They are in the back of the campground...... #7 is normally used as our campfire site. I told the owner, Phillip and Patty that we may have between 10-15 riders ..... that will work out for them. We will just take care of the cost of the sites when we get there. Normally we take up enough money from everyone to cover the cost.

Last year's BOOH 2015

1983c10 (+1?).................Fri-Sun..............KLR650
Joe Gurley.......................Fri-Sat...............EXC525
shakeyjake18..................Fri-Sun..............KLR650

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you guys are going to come! If I put you down for the wrong days, let me know.

Last year's BOOH 2015

skhumba23...................Fri(pm)-Sun..........KLR650
pvaneerten...................Fri(pm)-Sun..........KLR650

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updated..........

Last year's BOOH 2015

pvaneerten...................Fri(pm)-Sun..........KLR650
ridir Frith...................Thur(pm)-Sun..........DR650

·
Registered
14 Posts
So Pete won't make it to Helen. Doctors orders, he can't ride for 6 months. At least winter is coming so that should alleviate the pain of not riding a little.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updated..........

Last year's BOOH 2015

Jerry Atrick....................Thur-Sun.............KLR650

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just over a week away! There are many trees around the campsite, if you would rather camp in a hammock (bear burrito)!

Last year's BOOH 2015

tube8520........................Fri-Sun...............KLR650
klrstewbo...................Thur(pm)-Sun..........KLR650
weston420....................Fri(pm)-Sun..........GS800
kentuckyklr(less).........Thur(pm)-Sun..........Husky 450

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Folks....these are a couple pics of the #7 (very back) campsite that shares a fire-ring. As riders come on, keep in mind that we need to share this big site with each other. We also have #5 and #6 campsites....along with the woods to put hammocks.

We are getting the campsites that are in this picture. The woods on the right (behind Chris's Ford) have a few places to put up hammocks. If you are pulling a trailer, try hugging the treeline as much as possible. Bike carrier is easier, if you have one.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Updated....

Last year's BOOH 2015

cherokee_chuck..........Fri(am)-Sun.........KLR719
tube8520........................Fri-Sun...............KLR650
klrstewbo...................Thur(pm)-Sun..........KLR650
weston420....................Fri(pm)-Sun..........GS800
kentuckyklr(less).........Thur(pm)-Sun..........Husky 450
longleke.....................Thur(pm)-Sat(pm)....KLR650
Josh...................................Sat................KLR650
MATT650.....................Thur(pm)-Sat(pm)....DR650
Telejojo...........................Thur-Sun..........KLR650 (staying at Blood Mountain)
Fishey...........................Thur-Sun............KLR650 (staying at Blood Mountain)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a great weekend of riding and hanging with the guys from the KLR community! This was the very first time for me to ride Fri-Sun for this rally. There has always been something that kept me from it. This was the largest post-recession BOOH we have ever had..........total of 19, I believe. Thanks to Phil and Pat for giving us a fine place to congregate.........we have sites 4-7 reserved for next year, and also the big pull-through site (#39 1/2) for anyone with say a very large 5th wheel....hint, hint. It was of course great to see old faces, but very glad some new guys got to come!!! Jerry Atrick.........we of course missed ya, and hope to see you at Bama Jama!

FRIDAY

I rode in on Friday morning to a good size group ready to ride! During a little confusion on where we were gassing up, we had our first issue of the day.....dirty carb on David's DR650. We got moving before noon and decided to change up the route some. The alternate route was a great one........though we did encounter a little wetness that we didn't anticipate. After some sweet riding, we got some great food in Helen and capped off the night around the campfire! Joe.......we hope you are feeling better and hate you had to go home.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SATURDAY

We held off on riding the more local stuff for Saturday so those coming in just for that day could enjoy it! Right out of the gate, we warmed up by taking the bikes over Tray Mtn. It is always a nice challenge for the KLR. It was here that I truly regretted not servicing my forks before I came.....yikes! Afterwards, we went to a sweet little BBQ joint, Happy Hog BBQ, for some very good food! Back on the road, we did our usual inner loop in clockwise ........totally enjoying the day! Les had our only flat for the weekend.........but the biggest boo boo was a cracked case on Matt's DR650. Hope that fix goes smoothly for you. For supper we scooted over to Deer Lodge for some very large steaks! I actually tried the shrimp and onion rings, but it didn't agree with me, so I helped Weston finish off his 20 something ounce steak......thanks Weston! Again........we head back to camp for more lies around the campfire. Oh......here are 4 words I don't think I will ever say again......I'll ride with Chris. Trust me............

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

SUNDAY

We had a beautiful day to ride home in........but first we needed some food.........so a few of us headed over to TWoS to grab some grub! After a great meal, as usual, a couple of a took a walk around the campground. The last person to break camp was a guy that said he paid $50 for this Chinese scooter. Check out the pic of his pup in his backpack! Well, the rest of us headed our own separate ways, but I got to ride back to Cleveland with ole Spencer...........what a sweet ride GA 60 always is!

Hope to see you guys at Bama Jama! With less than 2 weeks left, it will be here before you know it. Tagalong...........we are coming your way!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts