Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 500 mile break-in checkup this last Tuesday just to give some background. I have about 650 miles on the bike thus far. So today I pulled the rear side panels off to get the seat off and look around a bit. First thing I did was to look at the battery and noticed it was starting to get that white battery corrosion buildup at the base of the terminals. So, I pulled, cleaned and greased the terminals while doing so I notice the battery cell levels were actually near the Lower Level verses the Upper Level on electrolyte. I was actually surprised that a new OEM battery (just got this bike in December) on a KLR with only around 650 mile has a battery running that low on electrolyte levels. I use a Battery Tender running 24/7 while it's been too cold to ride. Just doesn't seem like a Battery Tender would run the electrolyte levels that low that fast.

This is just a reminder to others to take the time, pull your KLR's battery and make sure the electrolyte levels are up. :58:

Kenneth

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Very common in a wet cell battery in a KLR. Where the battery sits it gets a fair bit of heat. Maintaining the water level becomes a pain. You'll switch to a sealed battery after this one if you are like everyone else.

As to the Battery Tender. I put mine on until the battery is charged then I disconnect it. Never leave it attached.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I always thought you could leave it attached, too, but have changed my mind. The PO left it one all the time (long non-riding season here), but after my '08 wouldn't start this weekend, I found the battery bone dry. Fortunately refilling with distilled water brought back enough charge to get 'er going. KBear, thanks for the reminder!

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Never leave it attached.
why not?

i turn mine one every couple of weeks through the winter but same as you, turn it off the next day when the battery is topped up but was under the impression you could leave it on indefinitely.

One of my main reasons is that I've got 5 batteries that I maintain over the winter months. I now have two chargers and move them around between batteries as required but I never leave the charger attached for extended periods.

This is info from Yuasa and I have read other info that I can't source right now saying similar and additional things.

Smart chargers monitor the battery’s state-of-charge and will automatically start charging when the battery falls below a specific voltage. This smart technology is also used to keep batteries from being over-charged, causing excessive water loss in Conventional batteries. Yuasa Smart chargers can be left on an AGM battery indefinitely, but cannot be left for extended periods of time on a Conventional battery without checking water levels.
Yuasa has an excellent battery Tech Manual here:

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechManual_2014.pdf

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always thought you could leave it attached, too, but have changed my mind. The PO left it one all the time (long non-riding season here), but after my '08 wouldn't start this weekend, I found the battery bone dry. Fortunately refilling with distilled water brought back enough charge to get 'er going. KBear, thanks for the reminder!
You're more than welcome bud!

This is info from Yuasa and I have read other info that I can't source right now saying similar and additional things.

Quote:
Smart chargers monitor the battery’s state-of-charge and will automatically start charging when the battery falls below a specific voltage. This smart technology is also used to keep batteries from being over-charged, causing excessive water loss in Conventional batteries. Yuasa Smart chargers can be left on an AGM battery indefinitely, but cannot be left for extended periods of time on a Conventional battery without checking water levels.
Yuasa has an excellent battery Tech Manual here:

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechManual_2014.pdf
Thank you klr4evr for this information.

Kenneth

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I use an HD quality gelmat. From my Harley days experience nothing else could
take the shaking. All of the aftermarket loving members of the
HD tech site I was a member of even went with the oem battery.
One of the members of the site worked where they make 'em in PA and the quality
is top notch. (Intersate makes them) Good for at least 4 years at 60 bucks.

I'm three years in on this one (2nd ever on '09) It's an Interstate unit for perfect
fit, never winterize. I fire it up once or twice a month all winter and tool up and
down the road a few minutes and that's it. Updates to follow on longevity........

CheapMark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replace your OEM battery with one like this and eliminate most of your problems:

http://www.tristatebattery.com/etx15l-deka-powersport-battery-p-977.html
Thank you so much for the feedback and the link!!!!

I use an HD quality gelmat. From my Harley days experience nothing else could
take the shaking. All of the aftermarket loving members of the
HD tech site I was a member of even went with the oem battery.
One of the members of the site worked where they make 'em in PA and the quality
is top notch. (Intersate makes them) Good for at least 4 years at 60 bucks.

I'm three years in on this one (2nd ever on '09) It's an Interstate unit for perfect
fit, never winterize. I fire it up once or twice a month all winter and tool up and
down the road a few minutes and that's it. Updates to follow on longevity........

CheapMark
Thank you, as well, for the feedback!!!! Do you have a link to the battery to which you are referring or is it just an Interstate battery? I have an Interstate battery in one of my Garden tractors and I think they make a pretty good battery.

Kenneth

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I took the factory battery to the CarQuest which locally carries Interstate
so they could find a direct match. Don't have the receipt or part number handy.

·
Registered
387 Posts
At the end of the riding season I top up the battery and leave it on a "smart" charger all Winter. By the time it warms up enough to ride the fluid will be down to or slightly below the lower mark on the battery. I top it up and ride all Summer and when it's time to stop riding, the fluid is down to the lower mark again.

Going into the fourth year for this basic lead acid battery. YMMV

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just ordered the Deka battery from tristate. Looks like a good battery and a good deal. $65 and free shipping was better that I could find locally. Appreciate the info.

JT

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Deka from Tristate is sitting on the work bench as we type (thanks for the tip, forum) . Amazingly, the OEM battery, despite being run dry, and being 7 years old, still cranks the motor over! I think I'll still disconnect the charger after the new one is topped up this winter, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts