Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am new to this form and just put a little introduction on the site. I am hoping that someone can help me with a problem. I have a 1988 KLR that has become more of a project then i wanted but I am into it to much to just ditch it.
I just recently had a trip interrupted by a battery that overheated and died. I was going over the Sierras at Sonora pass and had been riding for about four hours, for the last hour, when I had stopped i had noticed the smell of rotten eggs but just didn't put things together that the battery was the source. The lights went on on the dash, and when i pulled over to check it out the battery was tost.
The logical culprit was the charging system but when I checked it I found that it seemed OK. Charging voltage at idle and at speed was 15-16 volts and according to my Clymer manual was OK. The voltage regular/rectifier checked OK also. By the way, this was a new maintenance free battery.
One thing, when I took the tank off to check thing out I found that one of the bolts on the fan had come off and I could see that the fan blades had been hitting something, could have even stopped rotating.
I was able to push start the bike and go back down the hill into Sonora and got a new battery and decided it best to go home rather then go on the trip to ride dirt roads in eastern California. It took four hours to get home and everything seems OK, the new battery is still good.
If that fan got stuck and didn't turn would that have caused the problem. with the loose bolt fixed and the new battery the fan runs fine now.
A little history here. the fan is a replacement for a fan that went out last august, also with basically the same ramifications. The original fan get's loose on the shaft and jams, burns out the fan motor and the battery also dies. Each time the lights go, headlight bulb and turn single bulbs get burned out but the fuses don't blow.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,568 Posts
I'm not much of an electrician. Know enough to be dangerous actually.

From what I am reading it sounds like your fan motor is drawing current but not turning. So eventually it draws enough to pull the battery down or the fan motor gives out - whichever is the weakest link. The alternator probably can't keep up to the current draw of a fan motor trying to go and eventually the battery looses it's charge entirely.

Sounds to me that if you get the fan motor issue ironed out you should be problem free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Roy 16v is too high, could be as simple as a faulty ground on the VR.

Do you have a fuse in the fan supply circuit?

Here's my '88, it's changed a bit since this pic, skid plate etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DonD

Thanks for the reply. The Clymer manual says 15 volts above idle. is that wrong? My son, who knows more then I do says he thinks 15-16 volts is to high also.
I have a fuse in the fan wire, I had put it in when I fixed it last year. When I checked it the other night the fuse was not burned out, but the glass fuse fell apart when I took it out. I had no volt meter to check it at that time.

thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
DonD

Thanks for the reply. The Clymer manual says 15 volts above idle. is that wrong? My son, who knows more then I do says he thinks 15-16 volts is to high also.
I have a fuse in the fan wire, I had put it in when I fixed it last year. When I checked it the other night the fuse was not burned out, but the glass fuse fell apart when I took it out. I had no volt meter to check it at that time.

thanks again
The book does say 15 is OK but you mentioned 15-16. Mid 14's is safer.
The reason I asked about the fan fuse, it should have blown when the fan stuck. Make sure it's the correct size.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your input. We have gone through things, checked grounds and connections and and cleaned any that seemed dirty. Now the battery charging reading starts out at at about 12.5 and starts slowly climbing upwards until it's where it was before, over 15 and sometimes over 16. We then went back and tested the regulator it seems that I was not reading the scale on my meeter correctly and it has to much resistance. I have ordered a new one. Well see how that does.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top