Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helllo everyone.
I'm having a problem with my 2006 KLR 650 (gen 1). Last saturday I was planning to ride some backroads but after 15 minutes that I left my house, I realized that the running light was very dim. I stopped on a gas station and accidently turned off the bike, only to realize that it wouldn't start again, the battery was dead. I push started the bike, turned around and got back home. The battery is OEM, bought on Kawasaki's dealership and less than a year old, so I figured there's a problem in the electrical system that is running the battery dry, when the motorcycle is running. Does anyone have an idea of what could it be?
Greetings!
✌✌

·
Registered
149 Posts
When was the last time you checked the fluid level in the battery? If it's been a year I don't think this is unusual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When was the last time you checked the fluid level in the battery? If it's been a year I don't think this is unusual.
Hello Klrian.
The fluid level is OK. If I leave the battery charging overnight the KLR will start OK. After 15 minutes or so, of riding, the battery dries up.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
The fluid level is OK. If I leave the battery charging overnight the KLR will start OK. After 15 minutes or so, of riding, the battery dries up.
Some confusion on your terminology. I’m understanding that by ”dries up” you mean the battery quits working versus loosing all it’s fluid???

The first thing you want to do is get a voltmeter and measure the voltage of the battery before starting, while cranking and while running at 1500 - 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some confusion on your terminology. I’m understanding that by ”dries yo” you mean the battery quits working versus loosing all it’s fluid???

The first thing you want to do is get a voltmeter and measure the voltage of the battery before starting, while cranking and while running at 1500 - 2000 rpm.
Hello klr4evr.
What I mean is that the battery runs out of charge. I'm sorry for the terminology, english is not my mother language.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
No problem. I didn’t notice the flag. Welcome to the forum.

Are you able to get the voltage readings I referred too?

After 15 minutes or so, of riding, the battery dries up.
What happens after 15 minutes of riding? How are you determining the battery is dead. A 2006 doesn’t need a battery to run as you found out by push starting it.

·
Registered
2002 KLR 650
114 Posts
Questions for people who understand more than me because I'm curious and don't know. ..Two Questions....If a gen. 1 KLR will bump start and run with a dead battery, will the charging system put out enough electricity to run all the normal electrical components fully ? Example...Headlight. If the battery checks out as good, Could a part of the charging system be at fault ? (Not supplying voltage and taxing the battery) Stator, voltage regulator, poor ground on battery, poor associated connections. Thanks, T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem. I didn’t notice the flag. Welcome to the forum.

Are you able to get the voltage readings I referred too?

What happens after 15 minutes of riding? How are you determining the battery is dead. A 2006 doesn’t need a battery to run as you found out by push starting it.
Thanks.
I must buy a voltmeter or find someone that lends me one, but I'll try this as soon as I can.
When I turned off the motorcycle at the gas station last saturday, lights wouldn’t turn on again and the starter was not working. After getting home, I left the battery charging overnight and the lights and starter worked again until the battery ran out of charge.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Time for a new battery. Every 3 years is my normal on my 2006.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
A good charging system should push 14.0 - 14.5 volts to the battery by 4000 rpm. Measured across the + / - battery terminals, but the battery needs to be good enough to read 12.6-12.8 volts before starting the engine.
Because a BAD battery can pull/hold the charging voltage below otherwise normal voltage.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
He is saying the battery is less than a year old.
Yes he did. I should have added that I have had batteries last less time than 1 year. In fact one that still sticks in my craw, mind...Bought a new battery for my race bike before racing at Mid-Ohio. Charged it up, installed it in the bike. Started the bike at home. Perfect. Disconnected the battery. Ready for 1st practice, hooked up battery and it wouldn't even click. I roller started the bike. bought a new battery in Mansfield, OH. Took the offending battery back to Interstate Battery. They tested it and it had a bad cell. Brand new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of what could it be?
You either have a dud battery, even though it is relatively new or a charging system issue. If I even have to top up a battery, I might have to add 1/4 inch maximum every two or more years. If the acid level is dropping in a matter of days or weeks, you are overcharging the battery and that is a charging / voltage regulator issue.

Best thing to do is install a battery voltage monitor. This is one I made, but you can buy them as well. The voltage shown is while it was parked with a battery maintainer in "maintenance or float mode".
Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Automotive tire Cameras & optics

·
Registered
93 Posts
Battery, stator or RR or the connections are bad… it could be as simple as the ground for the RR needs a good clean. First job is to test the voltage before running and whilst at idling then bring revs up to about 4-5k and see what voltage read you get there too….
if you’re waiting for a meter and want something to do you could start by cleaning up all the connections to see if it makes a difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts