Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, first time here. Is the KLR battery a lead acid battery? its not a gel or other type is it? (not electrically inclined...) THANKS!

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
kohustu -

The stock battery is a lead-acid battery with caps and vents. It requires fairly frequent maintenance. The electrolyte requires topping off. Mine lasted about a year before I needed to replace it.:(

Welcome to the forum!

Tom

·
Registered
189 Posts
My stock battery never worked well from day one! I tested it many times and it tested fine but it just didn’t have the kick to always start a cold bike. After almost three seasons I finally broke down and bought a new battery and installed a battery tender. This one seems to have more reserve for those cold starts.

I guess it’s an acid battery since I had to add the acid to the battery and then allow it to charge before I installed it. I still have the box. I’ll have to check.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I don't know how the gen 2 bikes are, but the gen 1 bikes tend to cook batterys.. You need to pull them out at least once a year (more if you're riding more than 6 months a year) and top them off as Tim mentioned.

One of my co-workers had a battery that was going weaker and weaker, until it wouldn't start. He called up and asked where to get a new battery?? I asked him if he'd checked it for electrolite level (simple things first)??

The battery was almost bone dry!! He filled it with what he had, being tap water, and the stupid thing's been fine ever since!! Some people get all the luck!! (says the guy who bought a battery for his KLR last week)

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
I think where the battery is located that it probably gets too warm. I find that I have (had) to remove and fill mine about every six weeks. I say had because I replaced it with an AGM battery this year. I got six seasons out of it so not too bad. I also replaced my qua battery since I was ordering batteries. It still had the original at 13 years old and still working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Wow that was more response than a guy could ask for! Answered my Q, plus more insight. Thanks guys.

BTW, what is an AGM battery?, and what is a gel battery?

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
Wow that was more response than a guy could ask for! Answered my Q, plus more insight. Thanks guys.

BTW, what is an AGM battery?, and what is a gel battery?
To start with, they are about twice as expensive as an ordinary battery.

An "ordinary" battery is called a wet cell - the electrloyte is a fluid (sulfuric acid). As a fluid, it has a greater tendancy to lose volume, so you have to add water to make up for the lost volume. A completely sealed wet cell can be maintenance free.

An AGM (absorbed glass mat) has a different construction where the electrolyte is suspended between the plates in a fiberglass mat-like material.

A gel cell has silicates added to the electrolyte to turn it into a gel.

Both have less tendancy to lose electrolyte and to self-discharge.

Both are maintenance free batteries. Both may require special charging to avoid overcharging voltages.

The AGM battery is kinda the gold standard for motorcycles, especially one like the KLR where the battery gets cooked and getting the thing out to maintain it is a bit of a pain.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
thanks tom, totally answers my question
OK, so are you having battery problems on the KLR? Enquiring minds want to know!

T

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I actually just borrowed my brothers bike yesterday while I fix my truck. I guess I left the key in "park" and killed the damn battery. Then I wasnt sure what kind of bettery I was dealing with to charge it. AND I'm looking into buying a KLR, so always good to learn. I owned one a few years ago and the battery was a bit of a weak link.

Funny story: In 2004 I push started my '97 KLR 5000 kms - through the desert in August due to the relay calving ( a $15 item) Geez I miss riding!....

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Get yourself a trickle charger. Any bike shop will have one. I ride my KLR all the time, so it is good to go, but my Honda takes long naps and needs a charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oops

shit I forgot that I have one! I used a 2 amp "slow charge" instead. Do you think I might have hurt it?

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
shit I forgot that I have one! I used a 2 amp "slow charge" instead. Do you think I might have hurt it?
Nah, doubt it.

T

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
To start with, they are about twice as expensive as an ordinary battery.

Under normal circumstances I would agree but with worldwide production shifting to the east prices are hard to figure some times.

At Walmart I would have paid around $75 CDN for a lead acid battery. With just about anything I buy these days I check eBay. As luck would have it I got an AGM battery shipped to my door for less than the lead acid at Walmart.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110428845017&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:CA:1123#ht_1610wt_941

They do ship to the USA but you may find a similar offer on your side of the line.

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
I use a Battery Tender on my batteries. Once the battery is charged it goes to a float mode. A steady 2 AMP charge is a lot. Would only leave that on for 2 - 4 hours at most.

Know a guy who puts a 1 amp trickle charger on his battery for the winter. He's been replacing his battery every year because they boiled dry and he wasn't checking them.

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
Under normal circumstances I would agree but with worldwide production shifting to the east prices are hard to figure some times....
Holy cow! That's a good price for an AGM.

I paid more than that for a wet-cell from AutoZone. It was the "middle quality" one, but still...

Tom

·
Administrator
8,352 Posts
.. A steady 2 AMP charge is a lot. Would only leave that on for 2 - 4 hours at most.

I agree. My understanding was that the OP had used it to charge the battery back up. I could have been mistaken.

Now, on battery tenders - has anyone got any experience with the BatteryMinder?

This one is supposed to charge up, switch to a float charge, but it is also capable of combating sulfation thorugh some sort of high-frequency pulses.

Snake oil, or real? It's about $20 more than a Battery Minder Jr.

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts