Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since installing my volt meter I have noticed something interesting in reference to battery voltage. Nothing bad, but interesting to me.

At idle the meter shows it is charging 14.4V. This is something I like as the stator seems to be really putting out at idle where some bikes I've had would barely keep up with accessories at idle and some would actually start draining the battery if idled too long at stoplights with the brake light on. ( my Sportster)
If I open the throttle slightly it immediately drops to 14.3V. My past experiences with many other bikes from all different manufacturers was just the opposite. With any other bike I have owned I would see an increase of anywhere from .5V to 1.5V when the rpms increased but never a drop in charge as the rpms increased. Is this due to the ignition pulling more current as rpm increases?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I see the same thing on my 2014 klr. My last bike was a sporty as well. I'll check this afternoon on the way home but I want to say that at highway speeds it drops to 13 something.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I'm not much of an electrician but as to the best that I understand the Kawasaki KLR650 charging systems, as the Amp current generated goes Up the Voltage does tend to go down some.
As long as the system can maintain about 13.6 - 14.5 volts at most rpms & normal amp loading, the system should be considered 'Good', imo.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm not much of an electrician but as to the best that I understand the Kawasaki KLR650 charging systems, as the Amp current generated goes Up the Voltage does tend to go down some.
As long as the system can maintain about 13.6 - 14.5 volts at most rpms & normal amp loading, the system should be considered 'Good', imo.
Totally agree. If it's over 12.6 it's still workin in my book. Slowly, but workin!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts