Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a Trail Tech NIMH battery , and bag.I am not 100% sure where i will mount it , but i am thinking on top of the rear gaurd/fender might work.I will be able to get rid of my big battery now , and the starter motor.When i get it i will post pics , and let you guys know what i think off it. I am excited :cool0012:

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
peter650, you're like the "mad scientist" of KLR mods. You do things I've never seen anybody else do or even mention. I admire that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:):):) Thanks Planalp to be 100% honest with you i don't know if this will work, or not.It's a deep cycle battery, about the same size as a pack of smokes.If it works,i will be able to loose the main battery.While i am at it i will remove the starter motor.Should save me 15 to 20 lbs i think.Cheers Peter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
an a123 Li ion battery would work if this one doesn't... Shorai sell them motorcycle battery shaped now too.

I wouldn't be too sure that the KLR Regulator holds the charging voltage steady enough to charge this type of battery though....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Salty i don't know if it's going to work, or not. I will give it a try, and see. If i have no luck with it, i will give the battery in your post a try. Thanks for that. Cheers Peter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Salty i don't know if it's going to work, or not. I will give it a try, and see. If i have no luck with it, i will give the battery in your post a try. Thanks for that. Cheers Peter
I have had a bit to do with deepcycling batterys ,i'm thinking it should work .i put one on my Triumph with sucess

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Stew. I was going to take the starter motor out, but i went riding instead. Just getting rid of the stock battery, and battery box has saved me about 11lbs. I did about 90klms of trails today, i could feel the difference in the bike. I will wait till the next oil change to pull the starter motor.Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Good deal. I know you've done some other "ectomies" on this thing. How much weight do you think you've removed from it so far?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gday Planalp You know how you can't make a omelette, without breaking a few eggs. Well my bike is a yellow mess in a bowl at this stage.My goal is about 300lbs i think. I am not going to put it on a set of scales, and go yes i have done it, i am going to take it out for a ride one day, and it is just going to feel right.I will weigh it then out off curiosity, and post the # on this site.Because i ride it on Moto Cross tracks, the suspension and wheels are going to have to go.I think that will have a big effect on the final weight.Cheers Peter

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Gday Planalp You know how you can't make a omelette, without breaking a few eggs. Well my bike is a yellow mess in a bowl at this stage.My goal is about 300lbs i think. I am not going to put it on a set of scales, and go yes i have done it, i am going to take it out for a ride one day, and it is just going to feel right.I will weigh it then out off curiosity, and post the # on this site.Because i ride it on Moto Cross tracks, the suspension and wheels are going to have to go.I think that will have a big effect on the final weight.Cheers Peter
Interesting project. Will be curious to see how it all turns out and what the thing weighs when it gets to where you like it. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts