Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened a bit ago, but I just got back on the forum (Thanks, Nick!). I was riding home from work recently. I cross the Benicia/Martinez bridge (Solano County, CA) on my commute. I was in the middle of the bridge in the fast lane when a Dodge Charger zoomed up and started to merge INTO me. I went to the far edge of the lane and honked. Looked into the car and it was two young women laughing. The driver blew me a kiss. They kept pressing. I went onto the shoulder and she tried to dump me. I hit the brakes with the left bar about an inch from the divider. There was a bunch of trash and I totally target fixated on the ONE thing I didn't want to hit (a metal thermos) - stupid, but it was insane. Hit it braking hard, but didn't dump the bike. (Another benefit of KLRs. Lot of bikes would have been done.) I managed to slow faster than her and pulled back out behind her. She slowed WAY down and I stayed behind memorizing the LP#. No way I'm trying to pass.

Got home, called 911 and the CHP. Since there was no contact or video, they didn't pursue it other than taking a statement, but a CHP officer called me on the DL that night and said he heard about it, ran the plates, and found out the chick is his neighbor. He was a biker and swore he'd put the fear of God in her.

Take-aways. I now own a contour roam3 and it is ALWAYS on. And I'm always in ninja- video game mode, but I'm stepping it up even more. I've had people mess with me on the bike before, but on a bridge with no escape route? I've never had someone deliberately try to injure me severely or possibly kill me. But it happened.

Be careful, y'all. I'd been thinking about a camera. This made up my mind.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Lockjaw,
Thank goodness you are OK. Stories like that make me shiver.

Really a shame that in this day and age of political correctness that the CHP officer couldn't have given you his address, then the two of you go to her house for a 'proper introduction'.
Then all she would have needed to do would be apologize for/ admit to her acts and I'd think law enforcement could have taken her away or not at your disgression.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
People

Hey Dan!
Good to hear that you managed to avoid a spill. I have no idea whats wrong with people these days, society is getting weird!

Ride safe bro!
Must be "Inbreeding" !

·
Registered
109 Posts
Teach the Bitch a lesson

First I am glad that you got out of the situation in one piece! You have her plate number, find out where she lives and give all panels on the car a washing with brake fluid! cost the little bitch some money! I am sick of this crap. I had a good friend almost loss his life to fools like her.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
WoW!! Unbelievable!! She would have looked pretty silly if you had been packing.....Really, what is wrong with people these days?? Glad you are OK.
JJ

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Remember the "steelies" marbles as a kid?

I carry a few 1/2 inch ball bearings. A simple toss and nailing the brakes
will get their attention real fast. Auto glass doesn't stand a chance against
hardened steel. Pours out like water. Make sure there's no kids in there first.

CheapAndBulliedNoMore.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Oh man! That's insane! Glad you got out okay. Similar thing happened to my about 30 years ago. We can trade stories around our next campfire..

The camera is a great idea for commuting. Even if it's off it can be a deterrent to drivers behaving badly. I've done some testing where I have my helmet cam, but also have one mounted on my top case facing to the rear. I've noticed several occasions where a driver might be messing with me or driving aggressively, but once they spot the camera they totally back off.

Stay safe out there.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Is cowardly violence the answer?

In my view, calling for violent retribution/retaliation appears irresponsible and counter-productive. Does cowardly aggression, such as defacing offenders' cars, flinging steel balls to shatter windshields (and perhaps blind occupants) as hidden road-rage vindictiveness solve any problem?

Similar calls for violence by black nationalist empowerment groups (e.g., People's New Black Panther Party) may have inspired the Dallas police ambush massacre shooter (Washington Post, July 10, 2016, p. A1).

The consequences of harboring posts calling for illegal, violent acts in response to perceived traffic infractions should be considered by forum moderation/management, in my opinion. Motorcyclists, though vulnerable in traffic, are NOT authorized to take the law into their own hands, functioning as judge/jury/executioner, IMHO.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
First I am glad that you got out of the situation in one piece! You have her plate number, find out where she lives and give all panels on the car a washing with brake fluid! cost the little bitch some money! I am sick of this crap. I had a good friend almost loss his life to fools like her.
Do you think malicious vandalism will make her (whom you label, "a little bitch") a better, safer driver, roadrash83? The vandal, one presumes, won't damage the property in daylight; how will she know who did it and what for? And what if the vandal is caught in the act?

Do you think your suggestion improves highway safety for motorcyclists?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts

CheapAndBulliedNoMore.
You advocate violent felonious assault (possibly blinding victim vehicle occupants) as a solution to a perceived traffic infraction, Cheapo.

Is shattering someone's windshield, and running away, macho?

Is that what you want to do? Risk jail time and fines, possible lawsuit liability, simply for revenge?

Do you think what you propose makes roads safer for motorcyclists?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, looks like I opened a can of worms. FWIW, here's how I feel about it. I wasn't even mad when it happened like I normally would be if a driver did something stupid. It was so shocking and scary.

We deal with drivers a lot, and some of them suck. Some are assholes. Some are insane. Some are dumb. I choose NOT to engage any driver in anything. Sometimes I get pissed and flip somebody off, but not usually. Here's why:

Crazy driver (like this case): I would have happily filed charges against them, but as far as retribution? Naw. I'm already scared enough that they'll do something to the next biker. Why give them more of a reason? You can't reason with crazy.

Assholes: See above. When I was younger, I used to confront drivers who did amazingly stupid/inconsiderate things. They always defended what they did and somehow twisted it to be my fault and I rode away angrier. Riding angry isn't safe. I'm a teacher. I turn my instinct to instruct OFF when I ride. I don't want anything to do with any vehicles that have more than two wheels when I ride.

Dumb drivers usually will either realize and be sorry, or they will remain oblivious. I don't have the time. If they seem cool, and the time is right, I might try a "hey, friendly heads up. that was scary back there. let's both keep our eyes wide open, huh?"

Because here's the thing. First, I don't have the time or inclination for "payback" - never have. Second, whatever we do is going to affect all bikers. Let's say I did do something to mess with the driver. She'd end up HATING bikers. And maybe killing one of us. Or she wouldn't know why it happened and it wouldn't mean anything anyway.

Drivers make mistakes. I've made them. Some people can't drive. That sucks, but that's part of the deal we've made. And some people are batshit crazy. I want nothing to do with any of them.

My .02

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
What Dan said sums it up well and should finish the discussion.

Astride a motorcycle there is next to nothing you can do, save hanging back or turning off, that won't make matters worse.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I agree LJ. One doesn't know what sort of drugs people may be taking or if they are insane. There is no telling how they might react to a broken windshield or mirror. There was an incident recently where a guy kicked(?) a SUV who had cut him off and the driver chased him down then purposely ran him over and killed him.

Do what you need to do to get out of the situation and report them as you did. The "dash" cam is a good idea to provide proof for the prosecution.

In Canada if you report someone doing something YOU lay the charge through the Crown Prosecutor. If it goes to trial You become the witness and testify as to what happened and the Judge decides the verdict. A friend of mine got passed while stopped at a crosswalk. The pedestrian was nearly run down and the driver drove on without stopping. My friend got the plate and laid the charge. The driver was fined for not stopping for an occupied crosswalk.
JJ

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I've never done it, let alone hurt anyone on purpose ever.

Yes, it just feels like having "protection", or maybe a macho thing I
learned at the HD site how dudes said they carried them.

If it ever happened I wouldn't be out in front. This would be a rear side
window, and in actuality will never happen. The 138Db horn does a great
job sounding like a car rather than a motorcycle. It clears the way nicely,
and some evasive maneuvers at times.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I've never done it, let alone hurt anyone on purpose ever.

Yes, it just feels like having "protection", or maybe a macho thing I
learned at the HD site how dudes said they carried them.

If it ever happened I wouldn't be out in front. This would be a rear side
window, . . .
What "protection," Cheapo? From what threat?

Seriously, what is your intended purpose in breaking a motorist's automobile window? What do you hope to achieve by such criminal violence, and what might you actually achieve?

I wonder; would, "I only shattered a side window, not the windshield," comprise an effective defense in court? Would, "I didn't see any children inside," mitigate the offense of personal injury caused?

I'm surprised this website harbors posts advocating violent criminal acts by motorcyclists. Should some readers actually perform them, the website would be at least morally complicit in the crime by publicizing the appeal.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
This is a great Post by LJ, and this is all exactly how I approach my riding. Both LJ and I live and ride in extremely heavily populated areas so we deal with this every time we ride.

One thing I'd add is that when a rider engages with a car to "Teach them a lesson" or Flip them off or try to harass them because of what happened a second ago it can look to other drivers like the motorcycle rider is the one who is behaving poorly. They might not have seen that a car just about side swiped the bike a few seconds ago, but lots of other cars will see the Moto rider acting like an asshole.

One thing that really bugs me is when someone I'm riding with decides to get in a drivers face because they did something stupid. That rider not only put himself in danger, but also put me in danger of retribution by the car.

Let's ride respectfully out there.

Man, looks like I opened a can of worms. FWIW, here's how I feel about it. I wasn't even mad when it happened like I normally would be if a driver did something stupid. It was so shocking and scary.

We deal with drivers a lot, and some of them suck. Some are assholes. Some are insane. Some are dumb. I choose NOT to engage any driver in anything. Sometimes I get pissed and flip somebody off, but not usually. Here's why:

Crazy driver (like this case): I would have happily filed charges against them, but as far as retribution? Naw. I'm already scared enough that they'll do something to the next biker. Why give them more of a reason? You can't reason with crazy.

Assholes: See above. When I was younger, I used to confront drivers who did amazingly stupid/inconsiderate things. They always defended what they did and somehow twisted it to be my fault and I rode away angrier. Riding angry isn't safe. I'm a teacher. I turn my instinct to instruct OFF when I ride. I don't want anything to do with any vehicles that have more than two wheels when I ride.

Dumb drivers usually will either realize and be sorry, or they will remain oblivious. I don't have the time. If they seem cool, and the time is right, I might try a "hey, friendly heads up. that was scary back there. let's both keep our eyes wide open, huh?"

Because here's the thing. First, I don't have the time or inclination for "payback" - never have. Second, whatever we do is going to affect all bikers. Let's say I did do something to mess with the driver. She'd end up HATING bikers. And maybe killing one of us. Or she wouldn't know why it happened and it wouldn't mean anything anyway.

Drivers make mistakes. I've made them. Some people can't drive. That sucks, but that's part of the deal we've made. And some people are batshit crazy. I want nothing to do with any of them.

My .02

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I've never done anything to cager, nor ever will.

There's a sense of security carrying the things, no more.
Knowing the repurcussions I know logic would always win
as it always has. Having become an active Christian it
really is a dumb idea to even have those on board if pulled over.
I really couldn't imagine living with myself if someone ever got hurt,
or their anger was passed on to another rider. Gotta finish killing off the
old Mark who was bit self centered and wreckless in the crazy days.

CheapAndHarmless.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts

CheapAndBulliedNoMore.
Looks like I mistakenly gave "CheapO," credit for your post, CBT!

I now apologize to CheapO; my mistake.

Now, CBT:

You're a MODERATOR on this forum, and you're recommending violent, illegal acts by motorcyclists?

Is this consistent with the policy of the website?

If so, how does such violent, felonious crime benefit motorcycling? Make riding safer?

I'm sorry if you were bullied, but . . . compensating for your mistreatment by flinging steel balls at occupied automobiles won't address your problem, IMHO. Nor would dropping concrete blocks onto moving cars from an overpass.

I hope you aren't sincere in your suggestions in your post.

Further, I hope this website's policy doesn't encourage violent felonious criminal acts by motorcyclists.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Holy COW Damoclese let it go. It was obviously just someone blowing off a little steam. If you haven't figured it out yet I am not going to explain it but you need to understand who you are reprimanding on an open forum before you do it. Before you reply again you should go back and read every post word by word so you fully understand what has actually been said and by whom.
JJ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.