Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Looked at a used KLR last night. Would have bought it except the shift lever was bent and was really hard to shift into 1st and almost impossible a couple of times. The owner had a pretty hard slam technique to get into 1st but even it wasn't working for him after a bit.

We parted ways with plans for him to remedy the situation somehow. I would have bought the bike had it not been for this one issue. Now I'm wondering if this is cause for more concern because of the overall effort required to get the bike into 1st and if that might have cause long-term damage to the tranny.

Am I over-thinking this? Would you buy it provided it was fixed and worked properly?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I wouldn't. A shift lever is easy and cheap to replace. If he never did it after dumping his bike (I presume) and just settled for slamming it into first, well...that would make me wonder about how well he took care of the bike. My .02

·
Registered
663 Posts
Was the lever hitting on something so that it would no go down far enough to kick into gear?

Or was the lever not going down because something inside of the gearbox was holding it back?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Tell him you are not sure if the trany is good… give him a LOW BALL price, buy the bike, Change the shift lever with a new one ($40) and them ride it for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good thing i didn't buy the bike, because i just bought an even better bike that came with a rack, drybags, a shift lever that works, etc. 2007 red w/ 7700 miles. super excited to say the least.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Right On!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts