Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just sent my seat to Great Day to Ride for modifications. Just got it put it back on the bike an hour ago, so I haven't ridden it yet. Service was unbelievably fast and organized. Reviews were very good and the cost was only $85 + freight. I'll be going on a couple of long rides next week and will post a review.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Russell is the most comfortable seat. I have one on my Honda ST1300. I bought a Sargent for my KLR because I didn't think the wings would let me get my feet down in tough situations. The Sargent is a big improvement over the stock seat.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
The seat that works for you is the best. I have a Corbin though I am going the same route as KLR-zin on both of my KLRs. $200 for two seats that are fit for your personal needs and riding style is difficult to beat.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php They are also known as Spencer Seats.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seat Choice

I just sent my seat to Great Day to Ride for modifications. Just got it put it back on the bike an hour ago, so I haven't ridden it yet. Service was unbelievably fast and organized. Reviews were very good and the cost was only $85 + freight. I'll be going on a couple of long rides next week and will post a review.
I am not familiar with Great Day To Ride seat modifications. I will check them out. The price seems very reasonable.
Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replacement seat

KLR-zin
Is this the Spencer Seat place in Tennessee?

Any chance that you can post a photo of your modified seat?
Is it wider than stock? Is it the same height?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
KLR-zin
Is this the Spencer Seat place in Tennessee?

Any chance that you can post a photo of your modified seat?
Is it wider than stock? Is it the same height?
Thanks
Spencer uses the same base and cover. He cuts a portion of the foam out and inserts a different foam. You can see the different foam if you look at the base of the seat. Other than that it looks stock.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Pismo,
here is a photo. I have an original '09 seat and the modified seat in my garage and they are identical. I took the pics with my phone, so they are not great, but you can see that the seat still looks factory. I would imagine that he would shorten the seat if you requested, but I gave him all of my info and told him that I did not want the seat height lowered.

Here is the website. Hope this helps. I'm going riding on Monday- I'll let you know how it goes.

Dave

·
Registered
338 Posts
I first have to say that I have never ridden any of the other upgrade seats, so I have no idea how it compares.
MarkB4 and I went on a ride of approx 130 miles today and I have to give the seat a thumbs up. The weird part is that I'm not sure why.
The seat looks exactly the same as factory and felt a bit more firm by pressing on it. While I was riding today, it felt more resilient than the stock seat and maybe a bit more firm. I think that I was expecting that I would be able to feel where the new different types of foam were placed and that it might feel more plush. It really didn't. However, during and at the end of the ride I was never uncomfortable or sore. So, it was a definite improvement, just different than I anticipated. For $85, I'm pretty happy so far.
He put in a foam called Supracor and I am guessing that this is the reason for the different feel. Spencer seemed like a really nice guy and I am certain that he would give a better explanation.
I'll be going on a longer ride this week and I'll give another update.

·
Registered
338 Posts
rlbender,
Went on a 300mi ride yesterday and can definitely say that the seat is much better than stock. Rode for 12 hours on trails and road.
As I mentioned, when I received the seat back I just expected that it would feel softer or contoured somehow. You really don't notice a lot of difference until you go on a long ride. I just wasn't uncomfortable or sore from the seat as I had been.
So, I would say that I am very satisfied and would recommend the service.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Although you've already addressed the issue on your bike, I thought I'd chime in with what I've found..

Oh, and remember that a generation 1 seat will fit fine on a generation 2 bike, and vice versa.. I have a seat that was made for a 08' on my 02' and it's a perfect fit.

My 02' came with a stock seat.. I figured out that it had to go during my first 30 minutes of ownership. It was a pain in the ass, literally.. :)

I used a sheep skin for a little while, but ordered a Jel seat from DualStar for $120.. Money well spent.. Even better with a sheep skin on top of it!! The only issue is that it's not waterproof, even if you spray it with waterproofing.. Dries quickly, though..

I had been quietly looking for a Russell Day Long seat, but didn't want to spend the money on a new one (I'm a cheap KLR rider, right?)

Well, a user here had a Russell and didn't want to risk screwing it up while on serious off road rides, so he and I swapped seats and I booted a bit of cash.. I now have a seat on my KLR that rivals the seat on my GoldWing for comfort..

As far as other manufacturers.. We've got a few Sargent owners here and they seem to love the seats.. I always hear great things about Sargent from other make and model bike riders..

I have a personal hatred for Corbin due to getting ROYALLY screwed by them on a new seat for a BMW GS years ago.. That aside, I've ridden recent bikes with Corbin flat and dished seats.. The flat is a pretty good saddle, comfortable to a point.. The dished pinched my hips and slid me forward to the point where my three contact points were my two hips in back and my nuts in front.. Not comfortable at all..

My absolute favorite is the Russell.. It ain't pretty, but it's comfortable!!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
...heh, what are those file cabinets in the background? The mobs accounting perhaps???

;-)

John

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
...heh, what are those file cabinets in the background? The mobs accounting perhaps???

;-)

John
They were free from work, and are now in my garage.. I just use em' for lubrication storage.. Oils, chain lube, snowmobile stuff, etc..:)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Lubrication storage, eh? You don't say... :62:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Huh? Oh, were you thinking....Paper! This is a family forum. Get your mind out of the gutter. Most of my lubrication items (oil, chain lube, WD40, etc) fit in a fairly small box. I was simply observing that you had an awful lot of lubrication storage available to you. (Then again I don't have like 50 motorcycles and a snowmobile). :35a:

The boy who called carbon fiber, eh? :50: ;)

I'm punch drunk from administering standardized tests all day. But now I can get drunk drunk (two beers and instant sleep). So this isn't a totally ridiculous thread jack...I like my Sargent. Do a search. I have sung its praises many times.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
(Then again I don't have like 50 motorcycles and a snowmobile). :35a:
Only 5 (and a snowmobile, boat, and 4 wheeler, snowblower, lawn mower, string trimmer, and a car and truck.)

I need more storage..:character00271:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts