Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
before and after

here's before and after pic of my DIY seat mod

after:

I'm super happy with the way it turned out. took it for a test ride of about 50 miles and it's much more comfortable than stock. Best part is that i can now raise my suspension back up to almost stock height.

·
Premium Member
5,513 Posts
here's before and after pic of my DIY seat mod

I'm super happy with the way it turned out. took it for a test ride of about 50 miles and it's much more comfortable than stock. Best part is that i can now raise my suspension back up to almost stock height.
You did that yourself? Nice work. Looks like it came straight from an upholstery shop. I don't think I've ever seen anybody re-work the seat like that by hand. Looks like a fine job to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks guys, to be honest i didn't expect it to turn out that good. It really wasn't that hard though. I may start a new thread and do a step by step on it. Only hard thing was stretching the vinyl. For that you almost need 2 people. one to heat and stretch the vinyl and another the staple it in place. You also need a pretty good heat gun. A good hair dryer may work, dunno.

·
Premium Member
5,513 Posts
Pub_Charlie;86692 I may start a new thread and do a step by step on it.[/QUOTE said:
Great idea. I think a lot of folks would be interested and you obviously know what you're doing.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Nice, you and Tom should have a home-done seat mod-off.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I still like my stock seat, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.
For some people, the stock seat works for them.. 60/40 is a friend of mine and he has no problem with his stock seat.

When I bought my 02' in 04', I rode to my "local" dealer for an oil filter.. It's a 30 minute ride each way.. I had decided to look for a different seat before I got to the dealership, and the ride back home cemented the fact.. 2 hours later, I had a Travelcade Jel seat on the way from Dual Star..:)

The stocker didn't work for me, at all.. :ashamed0001:

·
Registered
105 Posts
For some people, the stock seat works for them.. 60/40 is a friend of mine and he has no problem with his stock seat.

When I bought my 02' in 04', I rode to my "local" dealer for an oil filter.. It's a 30 minute ride each way.. I had decided to look for a different seat before I got to the dealership, and the ride back home cemented the fact.. 2 hours later, I had a Travelcade Jel seat on the way from Dual Star..:)

The stocker didn't work for me, at all.. :ashamed0001:
When finances permit, I may have to one day look into the one you've got. Anything with the word Jel in it sounds good to me.:)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well, if you go backwards in this topic to post #14, you'll see the Travelcade seat, as well as the Russell Day Long seat I'm currently using.. The Travelcade seat, with a sheep skin was good for a 350+ mile day.. The Russell is good for all day, every day.. :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I went with Seatconcepts again for my KLR. It didn't take long at all to remove the old and finesse on the new.

Took'r for a ride today. So wide and smooth!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Inexpensive, but not cheap seat pad

Believe it or not this group is great for you trying something CHEEEP first, try this, I just got one....

I've had one on my 08 for a year now and it is excellent, although it does raise the seat even higher.
Al

41 - 53 of 53 Posts