Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, done a TON of looking on the Internet as well as researching specs, bar thickness, height, concerns about, etc... I am wondering, for those that have installed crashbars as well as tested them. What do you think are the best? I ride mostly freeway unfortunately, but if I am going to invest, I want my options open as my wife and I take off on weekend trips that occasional include fire roads. I don't ride single track or sand, and if I end up that way and crash, well I deserve what I get. What bars may skid the best? As my highest likelihood of going down would involve higher speeds. I know that nothing protects against everything, I am just looking for the best bang for my buck. Thanks ahead of time for all of your input. I truly appreciate it and am looking on pulling the trigger shortly.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I have the motech bars on my 08. I like them. Never really tested them and have no basis for comparison. Sorry. I will say mine do NOT vibrate much (common complaint).

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
'07, HT, road-tested, O.K.

You'll NOT find National Highway Safety Traffic Administration ratings on KLR nerfs; you must . . . pay your money and take YOUR choice.

Which do YOU prefer?

I view the nerfs as sacrificial; their job is to protect radiator, tank, and plastics; if they do that ONE TIME, permitting you to return to your home station under your own power, they've paid their way.

Nerfs can often be re-bent to servicable condition after a crash; and . . . HT provides price consideration for spare and repair parts.

Then, just for discussion's sake; why not an IMS tank in lieu of nerfs? Cost about the same, and . . . maybe the extra fuel capacity is a good thing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I believe that the Motech bars are made of thicker tubing and have extra bracing at the connecting welds.
The Givi are made of thinner tubing and no extra bracing at the connecting welds.
Someone recommended Motechs for off road riding and caring heavy loads. Givi, not so much.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the input. Went and pulled the trigger on the motechs based upon opinion and extensive research it seems they may hold up the best for what I may potentially need as well as provide the best street protection. Going to have some down time soon so will install them as well as do my valve check and possible adjustment then.

Regarding the IMS tank Lonerider, looked at that but don't need the extended amount of fuel and not to sure about what would happen in a skid. I could picture grinding a hole in the tank and losing fuel... That would suck. Plastics are a concern, however the radiator as well as other essential parts to the bike are more of a concern. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Regarding the IMS tank Lonerider, looked at that but don't need the extended amount of fuel and not too sure about what would happen in a skid. I could picture grinding a hole in the tank and losing fuel... That would suck.
The US Marine Corps uses the IMS tank on their tactical KLR650's; I'd expect the product to be rather robust. Grinding a hole in the tank from a skid would seem a remote possibility, to me.

Regardless, you've ordered the product you prefer; congratulations!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts