Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What guards are the best protection of a lay over to not sustain any tank/fairing damage?
thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went down last night on a steep gravel road (going slow!). Other than bruises to my helmet, big toe, knee and rib cage the bike was fine!! MS-Motech crash bars. Note: I need a better - more gripy - back brake foot lever pad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like the motech crash bars are exactly the same as the givi?
thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
From what i have read, the Motecs have thicker tubing than Givi bars and have a slightly larger radious covering the radiator shrouds.

I have PD Nerf bars, so I dont have first-hand experience.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I put my KLR down 2 weeks ago. The SW Motec bars prevented any plastic damage.
I had an old set of highway pegs bolted to the SW bars. The left peg bent the mtg. tab in about 90 deg's. I was able to bend it back and re-mount the highway peg. Nothing on the SW bars cracked. Slight scrape that I covered up with some black paint.

FWIW: Here's a short video showing everything...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7TXgaPZnn8

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. The Arse that tried to blame the rider should have been handed his teeth.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
thanks. The Arse that tried to blame the rider should have been handed his teeth.
No forensic accident investigator/reconstructionist, I, mooboy; however . . . looked to me like the motorcyclist blamed the automobile driver.

The car driver stopped fully before entering the traffic circle, inquired about the condition of the motorcyclist, and made some remarks about motorcycle traction and stability, as I recall. Didn't notice any "blaming" of the motorcyclist, myself.

Without additional information, looked to me like the proximate cause of the accident was: Too much motorcycle front brake on loose gravel atop pavement.

Maybe not, but . . . been there, done that, myself. No one's "fault" but my own.

Now, not to be judgmental, but . . . hand someone proximate to an accident his teeth? This tactic/behavior doesn't seem useful, to me. It was an ACCIDENT. Don't see a positive outcome from any violence/carnage heaped upon the incident, myself. Nor, in my opinion, does any result from any road-rage manifestation, including verbal invective and rude gestures.

But, maybe that's just ME! "Do what you got do, Pilgrim!" (Apologies to John Wayne.) :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Accident

No forensic accident investigator/reconstructionist, I, mooboy; however . . . looked to me like the motorcyclist blamed the automobile driver.

The car driver stopped fully before entering the traffic circle, inquired about the condition of the motorcyclist, and made some remarks about motorcycle traction and stability, as I recall. Didn't notice any "blaming" of the motorcyclist, myself.

Without additional information, looked to me like the proximate cause of the accident was: Too much motorcycle front brake on loose gravel atop pavement.

Maybe not, but . . . been there, done that, myself. No one's "fault" but my own.

Now, not to be judgmental, but . . . hand someone proximate to an accident his teeth? This tactic/behavior doesn't seem useful, to me. It was an ACCIDENT. Don't see a positive outcome from any violence/carnage heaped upon the incident, myself. Nor, in my opinion, does any result from any road-rage manifestation, including verbal invective and rude gestures.

But, maybe that's just ME! "Do what you got do, Pilgrim!" (Apologies to John Wayne.) :)
As a "first-hand-observer", Here's the play as I saw it.
That guy did stop, and help. That's true.

As the one in the circle, ( having the right-of-way ) and observing the car approaching the entrance to the circle, there's very little time to make decisions. Travel speed around 10 - 15 mph, in a tight lean, and this guy really looked like he DID NOT INTEND TO STOP!!
I may have grabbed the front brake?
I may have leaned more to left to get away from him?
I may have even leaned and steered far enough to left to hit the cobble stones at center of circle?
I've tried to replay that 1 - 2 seconds over and over. I just can't remember what made me go down. I don't remember any handle bar movement. ( If I had hit front brake)

I do admit I should have been slowing down more, and been able to stop upright.

I did not follow my own advice to be paranoid, and be ready for any situation.

HOWEVER: If I had not taken avoidance maneuvers, and he did not stop, I would have been hit and bike damaged more, as well as me being much more injured.

All I can say to any one, how many times have you observed a cage not slowing down until it was right on your bumper, or at the stop line, etc.
Whether he intended to stop or not, I'll never know.

Any way: The SW Motec crash bars did protect the plastic!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a "first-hand-observer", Here's the play as I saw it.
That guy did stop, and help. That's true.
I see it differently, he better stop and help or he goes to jail for a hit and run, or leaving the scene of an accident, whatever you want to call it. He was still an arse trying to dodge the blame.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I see it differently, he better stop and help or he goes to jail for a hit and run, or leaving the scene of an accident, whatever you want to call it. He was still an arse trying to dodge the blame.
Rashomon, clearly!

I rest my case.

:)

(Again, I didn't detect the automobile driver evading blame or blaming the motorcyclist, moooboy; I must have missed it. Even if he did, I would not find sufficient justification to punch him out, as you do. What positive results would attacking the motorist achieve, moooboy? What negative results are possible? (You know, the "good guys" don't always win violent confrontations, and . . . IMHO, attacking a driver in these circumstances would look a lot like what's laughingly called, "assault and battery," by law enforcement, and "opportunity to sue and collect damages," by lawyers.) )

Even if the car driver were to blame and knew it, insurance companies, right or wrong, counsel, "Never admit fault." Don't think hit-and-run applied, since no one was hit, but I'm no lawyer, either. Leaving the scene of an accident? Even with the video, hard to make that one stick, I imagine.

Yes, Rashomon. :)

--------------------

Regardless, glad and thankful there's no personal injury or property damage,
larry31! Thanks for sharing the video and your account of the mishap; most constructive and instructive.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Let's get back to the original subject please.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rashomon, clearly!

I rest my case.

:)

(Again, I didn't detect the automobile driver evading blame or blaming the motorcyclist, moooboy; I must have missed it. Even if he did, I would not find sufficient justification to punch him out, as you do. What positive results would attacking the motorist achieve, moooboy? What negative results are possible? (You know, the "good guys" don't always win violent confrontations, and . . . IMHO, attacking a driver in these circumstances would look a lot like what's laughingly called, "assault and battery," by law enforcement, and "opportunity to sue and collect damages," by lawyers.) )

Even if the car driver were to blame and knew it, insurance companies, right or wrong, counsel, "Never admit fault." Don't think hit-and-run applied, since no one was hit, but I'm no lawyer, either. Leaving the scene of an accident? Even with the video, hard to make that one stick, I imagine.

Yes, Rashomon. :)

--------------------

Regardless, glad and thankful there's no personal injury or property damage,
larry31! Thanks for sharing the video and your account of the mishap; most constructive and instructive.
You must be a democrat and voted for Obama, right? LOL , No one ever admits they did. Any way, I wasn't saying i would hit him, a thought isn't a crime but an action is. But, I'm out on this discussion, its not going anywhere...
Keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thread??

SW Motech crash bars help prevent accidents.... ( To Plastics! )

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I have Givi as the SWMotecs were on back order. My dealer recommended against putting bars on a KLR because of the weight and that they cost more then the plastic side panels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have always wondered about that myself... Does anyone know the cost of a new side panel?

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
I have Givi as the SWMotecs were on back order. My dealer recommended against putting bars on a KLR because of the weight and that they cost more then the plastic side panels.
The weight of any bar kit is negligible compared to the overall weight of bike, rider, fuel, etc. Not even a factor worth considering, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
The weight of any bar kit is negligible compared to the overall weight of bike, rider, fuel, etc. Not even a factor worth considering, IMHO.
I agree that the weight is not a factor. I bought the bars for the peace of mind that when the bike goes down I have a better chance of riding it home.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Agree. Further, crash guards may be re-usable after a crash, as in bent back into shape, painted. Shattered plastic panel? Not likely.

Yet, I'd consider the crash guards a "sacrificial catalyst," giving their all to save the tank, plastic, and radiator, if necessary.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Have Happy Trails PD nerfs on Generation 1.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts