Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying lots of spots to mount a Stebel on mt 2009, but can't find one that suits me. Anybody out there already been down this road?
What's the best place to mount the Stebel?

Thanks,
CW

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would post a link and pic of the Twisted Throttle bracket that I used but this retarded 15 post rule won't let me. Regardless, it took about 10 minutes to install my Stebel with it and hopefully some more experienced poster can give you the direct link.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twisted Throttle bracket is on back order...guess it's a good seller. Anyhow, they're teling me an estimated 2-week wait. Probably got to fab some more brackets. Anyhow, I am in no hurry. Mounted it myself inside the right fairing. Works fine. I'll consider a relo when the bracket gets here.

CW

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey guys,
in order to save myself the trouble of ordering the plug and play wiring set, does anyone know what gauge wire I need to buy in order to install my Stebel? It came with a relay, so I should just need the wires (if that relay is any good) :stickpoke:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey guys,
in order to save myself the trouble of ordering the plug and play wiring set, does anyone know what gauge wire I need to buy in order to install my Stebel? It came with a relay, so I should just need the wires (if that relay is any good) :stickpoke:
14 gauge will work just fine

·
Registered
562 Posts
Finally mounted my Stebel. Sure is loud in the garage! I am actually looking forward to some moron cutting me off during my commute just so I can use it.

Anyway, I looked at several pics of mounts and made one myself. I had some copper hanger iron laying around in the garage, so I bent it to fit and attached the horn. Though I doubled the thickness of the copper, it still wobbles more than I would like, so I will be looking for a steel L-bracket one of these days to replace it. Also, by using copper, I made a bracket worth more than the whole bike.

From the side:

From the left side:

From above:

With the bodywork on:

From behind:

Shot of the relay:

Only real complaint I have with this location is that a lot of the sound is forced up towards me since the horn is not where the opening in the body work is. I may drill some holes so more of the sound goes out the side rather than upwards. I put foam weather stripping on the horn to protect it from rubbing the body work and frame.

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
Erik -

I mounted mine in the same spot, but used a bracket called an 'face mount joist hanger' that was made for a 2 x 10. It seems to be made of sterner stuff than a regular joist hanger.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_48345-72913...rrentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=joist+hanger&facetInfo=

It is a pretty sturdy bracket and is bolted to both the top and bottom of the reserve tank frame. It needed to be bent in at the top a bit, but clears the plastic fine. It wasn't quite long enough, so I cut it into two pieces and pop riveted the two pieces together. The Stebel mounts on the upper 'ear' of the bracket.

It'll do until I can fab something cleaner.

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would post a link and pic of the Twisted Throttle bracket that I used but this retarded 15 post rule won't let me. Regardless, it took about 10 minutes to install my Stebel with it and hopefully some more experienced poster can give you the direct link.
:64a:

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
It's a simple L-bracket.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imag...0832/?RefererURL=/trade/productview/5114/670/

I'd be concerned about mounting that much weight that far out on a single mounting point that wasn't designed to bear any load. A strut coming up from the bottom reservoir mount and intersecting with the bracket at the point the horn mounts to would make me more comfortable.

I normally hate to be a dick, at least in public, but $12.50 for that bracket is, um, steep. They must be very proud of it.

edit: Oh my *&@%$^ I can't (*^%#* beleive it! They want $10 to ship it, too. Geeze Louise!

T

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mine probably is worth $12 if brought to a recycling center!

I will beef mine up sooner or later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts