Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me what is the best product to keep the plastic in factory looking condition,picking up my klr 650 this week and I like to keep things looking the best they can.thanks!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I just wash it with simple green and don't let it sit in the sun much. KLR's don't run as well if they look REALLY good.

There are plastic treatments and waxes at the auto parts store. Sorry, can't be much more helpful since the last time I waxed a vehicle was because my Dad made me. What color KLR?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wash it with simple green and don't let it sit in the sun much. KLR's don't run as well if they look REALLY good.

There are plastic treatments and waxes at the auto parts store. Sorry, can't be much more helpful since the last time I waxed a vehicle was because my Dad made me. What color KLR?
black.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
What is this "clean" you speak of?

Isn't that a term from a 12 step meeting or something?

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
A friend recommended some stuff called 210, made by Camco, to use on the windshield of my Goldwing. I managed to pick up a can and I have to say it is pretty nice stuff. Tried it on the plastic and really like the result.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use stuff called SC-1 every now and then. The stuff works really well and makes a kinda non stick surface wherever you put it. You can also put it on almost everything, with the exception of the seat and tires, and the mud and crud just falls off in many cases. It also smells like cherries, but don't eat it. Sounds common sense but man is it tempting! It just smells so damn tasty!! :20a:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Motul shine and go is the best for moto plastics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brillianize is an exellent product i work with it frequently in my line of work. Also to help fading 303 aerospace products use a UV blocker that will help reduce sun damage.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Can't seem to find this, "clean," anywhere in my dictionary:
I see the problem. You're on the wrong page. You have to know how to spell a little to use a dictionary.:46::):):)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best and easiest product used to clean and protect plastic is called Plexus. Comes in an aerosol can and you simply spray on and wipe off. Think of it like a cleaner wax for plastic. Dirt will slide off and it protects from fading as well. I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
"Clean" is the color your brand new KLR is. A week later, if ridden right, it cannot be that color anymore.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use Vinylex by Lexol. It has a UV blocker and is nothing like greasy Armorall! My bike is out in the sun for 7+ hours a day, 5 days a week since 4/08. It has almost 40K on her and still looks like new.

It looks better now than in the picture. More shiny and a richer red. Good stuff, you can find it in most auto parts stores. It is recommended by some manufactures to keep rubber, plastic and vinyl in good condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot; also Pledge furniture polish is an old favorite. They even advertise it for motorcycles in their new commercials.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use water. I try to splash as much of it up onto my bike as I hit water crossings as I can. Beyond that, mine was ugly and dirty when I got it and only the front forks see any hose time (keeping the seals clean ya know)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lemon Pledge in an aerosol can. I can now find my bike in the dark, just sniff for lemons. Works great on the windshield also.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Lemon Pledge in an aerosol can. I can now find my bike in the dark, just sniff for lemons. Works great on the windshield also.
lol. True, though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Why, Original Bike Spirits--in the spray can--of course.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have used stuff called "303 Aerospace Protectant" on our BMWs. Had it recommended by a person who does a lot of plastic work. Says it protects from UV as well as bringing colour back out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use product from a company called Stoner and I think it's called "vinyl and plastic" It's in a spray can. You can either just spray it on and walk away, or do what I do is spray it on, let is sit for a minute and wipe off the excess. Works great and will even bring back the color from lightly faded plastic.

You can get it at most auto parts stores.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts