Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2014 and my butt really suffers after a bit of time in the saddle. Please give me opinions on the best aftermarket seat. I am planning to hit the road long and often come the rapidly approaching Spring!!! Help, before I order:)

Thanks Dan

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I have the seargent. Love it.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I put a Sargent standard height seat on my 2011. It went from being a 2hour bike to a multiday bike after installing the Sargent seat. I put a Sargent Low on my 2003 and find it a little less comfortable than the standard Sargent on my 2011. Still it is WORLDS better than the stock KLR seat! They were awesome to deal with as well.
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I have had a Corbin and Seat Concepts on my KTM690. The Sargent on my KLR is much more comfortable than either of them. I wish I could get a Mustang for my 690. Of course no two butts are the same!!
Regards....justjeff

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I have had a Corbin and Seat Concepts on my KTM690. The Sargent on my KLR is much more comfortable than either of them. I wish I could get a Mustang for my 690. Of course no two butts are the same!!
Regards....justjeff
Yup, I've heard nothing but good things about the Sargent seats. Never had a chance to try one yet though :).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put a 2014.5 new edition on my 09 and love it. Although my longest ride nonstop was about 400 mi (IMS tank) but I never even thought about my butt. It does seem to be a personal thing. One person loves a certain seat while the next person hates it. That said the seat concepts seat is very popular in the KLR crowd and doesn't break the bank. That's the one I was looking at when I came across the 2014.5 for a price I couldn't pass up. I lucked out and it fits my butt perfectly. I hope you have the same luck.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Another approach!

So I have a 2014 and my butt really suffers after a bit of time in the saddle. Please give me opinions on the best aftermarket seat. I am planning to hit the road long and often come the rapidly approaching Spring!!! Help, before I order

Thanks Dan
On my 2011, I took the original seat to an auto upholstery shop, and had them trim about 2" off the rear of the seat. Tapered to 0" in front. (I wish I had taken slightly more off the back.)
Final effect was to have a seat more level. ( I hate feeling like I'm being pushed forward.)

I then got some foam & fabric from local fabric store, and my wife sew'd a pad to go over the bike's seat. I can sit on that all day, and be happy. The pad is held on with elastic straps that allow for quick removal if need be.

Added benefit is you can "dress-up" the seat with fabric of your choice.
Check it out.... 2011 KLR650 ( Scroll down to the seat listing....... 5th item down. )
Cost to have shop do the trim was about $50.00 plus fabric, abou

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Thanks everyone, I am going with the standard Sargent. See you all on the road, or off the road:)) Dan
You won't regret it. A lot of good advice, but you can't go wrong. Real nicely made. Enjoy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have tried many seats on my KLR - First a seat Concepts Commuter - then a Seat Concepts regular seat - A Saddlemen - and now a Sargent regular height. The Sargent is by far the best seat for me. All the seats except maybe the Saddleman were better than stock. The Sargent is far superior to all of them without question. You're arse may disagree of course!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry to come late to this thread, but I'm 6'6" and 180 lbs soaking wet. I have almost no fat on my tush. I get NBS (numb butt syndrome) after about an hour of riding with the stock 2005 seat. Anyone with roughly my frame try the Sargent or Corbin and how did you like it? I'm leaning towards the Sargent from everything I've read, but just wanted thoughts with my build taken into account.

Thanks,
John

·
Administrator
8,295 Posts
I don't know anything about seats, but I know you need more barbecue.

Tom

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't know anything about seats, but I know you need more barbecue.

Tom
LOL. Well Tom, I wish I could say I was a lean, mean, fightin machine, but that was a long time ago. The heaviest I've ever been was 190 lbs, and that was when I was doing martial arts 6 days a week and eating everything I could get my hands on. Now, I'm just thin and quite a lot older. I've had many women try to fatten me up with really good home-cookin, but no luck. That being said, if I ever get down to your neck of the woods, let's find some good BBQ. I have a really good friend who lives down in your town and I need to head there and see her one of these days.

I am setting up the KLR for some freedom trips and all of your guy's help has been great.

John

·
Administrator
8,295 Posts
If you're over this way, let me know! There really isn't any good barbecue around here, but we can find a quiet corner to visit for a bit.

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Sorry to come late to this thread, but I'm 6'6" and 180 lbs soaking wet. I have almost no fat on my tush. I get NBS (numb butt syndrome) after about an hour of riding with the stock 2005 seat. Anyone with roughly my frame try the Sargent or Corbin and how did you like it? I'm leaning towards the Sargent from everything I've read, but just wanted thoughts with my build taken into account.

Thanks,
John
John,
At 6'6" and 180, I'm thinking you Need to Visit "Seat Concepts" at this site,
Products

Both Corbin and Sargent think everybody's legs are less than 34 inches!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts