Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could only put one mod/farkle on your bike to improve its long distance ridability, what would it be and why? I'm curious to know what you guy think are the most essential mods for the KLR beyond the standard mechanical upgrades like the Doohickey, $0.22, Thermo-Bob etc.

Personally I'm torn between my ProTaper ATV High bars and the OEM tall windscreen.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oem talk windshield with a laminar lip on it! I did this to mine and it works great! Makes the air go right over my helmet. Others will chime in soon I'm sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Torn between a Cee bailey windshield and a 16t front sprocket

·
Registered
78 Posts
I do have the 16 tooth front on and love it too. Picked it up on eBay pretty cheap. I think if your mostly highway or gravel road riding its the way to go

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oem talk windshield with a laminar lip on it! I did this to mine and it works great! Makes the air go right over my helmet. Others will chime in soon I'm sure.

Laminar tip? Do you mean something like the MRA X-creen? I've been eyeballing one of those for a while. It seems like a very solid investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Depending on total distance, harder tires, sprocket, or windshield.

I upgraded all three.

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
For me the best touring mod is a seat upgrade. I've tried a couple of different ones and ended up with a seatconcepts kit. Not sure if this applies to the factory upgraded seats on the new models though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For me the best touring mod is a seat upgrade. I've tried a couple of different ones and ended up with a seatconcepts kit. Not sure if this applies to the factory upgraded seats on the new models though.

I've definitely considered this too. I've heard that the 2nd gen seat is an improvement on the first one, but it still gets a little soft for my liking after more than an hour in the saddle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me, the number one thing to spend money on for long distance riding is gasoline with oil as number two.

ymmv

;)

Oh, we got a wise guy here! Although I'm not quite sure that falls into the category of a mod. Show me a KLR that can tour without those things and then we'll talk!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
My first thoughts were the LaminarLip and the Sargent seat. For my 2011 these are must haves in my book.
The LaminarLip keeps my face happy and the Sargent seat does the same for my butt. Jeff said cheekily!!

Regards....General JustJeff

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I'd have to say it's my seat.. 38k miles on the KLR now and the seat has been on since 11K. Ten hour days in the saddle and it's not my backside that is uncomfortable, it's my shoulders and knees that start to bother me.

Corbin Dual Platform is what I got because I'm a short dude.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just did the 16T sprocket after 8000 miles with stock. Do the sprocket, then a piece of sheepskin for the seat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts