Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Best Canister

Might as well choose the canister by the sound, as none will improve the performance or horsepower of your bike. The stock exhaust set up provides the best performance and horsepower. The stock exhaust sure doesn't sound good, but it provides the best engine output.:46:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Might as well choose the canister by the sound, as none will improve the performance or horsepower of your bike. The stock exhaust set up provides the best performance and horsepower. The stock exhaust sure doesn't sound good, but it provides the best engine output.:46:
Do you have any dyno results to post to back up that statement???

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
How about a 3hp gain with a White Brothers. Not every exhaust is going to make more HP but to say that no aftermarket exhaust will make as much HP as the stock exhaust is silly. For the average price of $260 bucks that is a decent performance return.
The Big Gun Patman used provided some low end torque but didn't produced significant HP until they modified the box core which yielded an additional 5 HP on his 685.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont know if the Staintune brand is available in the US and call me biased but you cant go past the slipon exhaust box from Staintune made here in Australia.
I have one fitted to my 2010KLR and the bike has noticable power increase, substantially louder but still legal, fits in 5 minutes with no modifications, never needs repacking, wont melt your plastic sidecover, fantastic build quality and I think it looks great.
I do sound biased but its only because I am so happy with the pipe.
Probably the best bolt on modification to do to the KLR.

Forgot to mention it is a lot lighter than the stock pipe, physically smaller and a 130 rear tyre wont scrape. WOW!

Steve

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Pulling the spark arrestor from the White Brothers yielded an additional 2ft lbs torque from 3300rpm to 5200rpm for a total gain of 5ft lbs over stock. That's a substansial gain for a motor that only makes 32ft lbs.

It's still a KLR... 20+ year old tech with a relatively slow revving motor. So you've managed to get a bit more out of it, big whoop! The extra noise (vs. the slight power gains) the pipe is going to generate is not worth the ill will it's going to create.

To the OP have you done the .22 mod? That will wake up the throttle response more than changing the silencer. If you have to make the bike louder look into the low buck exhaust mod.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It's still a KLR... 20+ year old tech with a relatively slow revving motor. So you've managed to get a bit more out of it, big whoop! The extra noise (vs. the slight power gains) the pipe is going to generate is not worth the ill will it's going to create.

To the OP have you done the .22 mod? That will wake up the throttle response more than changing the silencer. If you have to make the bike louder look into the low buck exhaust mod.
That exhaust just happened to register only 1 to 2 decibels higher than the stock exhaust.
http://klrworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=137&limit=1&limitstart=2
Besides which, this debate was whether an aftermarket exhaust would produce more power or not, not whether it produced more sound. I can accept a decibel or 2 increase to get a 10% HP and 15% torque gain. Obviously your opinion may very. :64a:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That exhaust just happened to register only 1 to 2 decibels higher than the stock exhaust.
http://klrworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=137&limit=1&limitstart=2
Besides which, this debate was whether an aftermarket exhaust would produce more power or not, not whether it produced more sound. I can accept a decibel or 2 increase to get a 10% HP and 15% torque gain. Obviously your opinion may very. :64a:

Unless you regularly repack the aftermarket muffler it will get louder not so the stock boat anchor, err... muffler!

BTW it's illegal to replace or modify the stock muffler. There's an EPA stamp embossed on it that says as much. No aftermarket muffler is legal for street use, just saying.

BTW 2 if you remove the spark arrestor the bike is illegal off-road in most areas, just saying 2.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Unless you regularly repack the aftermarket muffler it will get louder not so the stock boat anchor, err... muffler!

BTW it's illegal to replace or modify the stock muffler. There's an EPA stamp embossed on it that says as much. No aftermarket muffler is legal for street use, just saying.

BTW 2 if you remove the spark arrestor the bike is illegal off-road in most areas, just saying 2.
Yep, true very true.

Life as a rebel! :35a:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do I see a pattern forming here
As a new member Ive been reading a lot of the threads on this forum and what seems to be happening to this current thread is very common.
A fella posts a question to fellow KLR riders asking what they think is a good replacement muffler for his beloved bike.
A couple of guys reply with a couple of answers trying to help the best they can.
Cool.
Then..............
- You cant change your pipe. Its Illegal.
- Dont change your pipe. I havnt changed mine so that means the stock pipe is best.
- Youve made your bike louder now you are an outcast.
Can you see the pattern forming?
The first question wasnt "How loud can I make my bike", or "How can I break the law".
It was "what is the best slip on exhaust.Been looking at the v&h and also the dg any ideas!"
Simple.
Im not criticising anyone here, just making an observation.
But what I find really strange here is first someone can say a stock pipe is better than a GOOD aftermarket pipe without having tried one to see.
We all know the original pipe is a compromise in every way, whether it be for noise regulations in effect at the place of sale, or ease of manufacture or even cost restraints.
Thousands of not only KLR riders but bike riders in general all around the world will tell you the RIGHT exhaust will transform a bike.
How can that be argued?
Secondly the argument of the pipe being legal.
Advice for member?
- You are better off doing the 22 mod.
OK, so I go off and look up this 22 mod and it tells me it involves shimming the needle and general fine tuning.
Fantastic. Another sure way of improving drivability, power, and in most cases fuel economy. GREAT.
HANG ON . Isnt that Illegal? Modifying a bikes fuel settings from factory specs?
The point Im trying to make here is we all modify our bikes from standard because we all want it to be the best it can be.
Some like to change things a lot and some like to change things a little, but we all like to change something.
This forum wouldnt exist if that wasnt the case.
I just dont think someone should tutt tutt someone else just because they want to change their bike in a way which they themselves wouldnt want.
I hope you dont think Im being a bit outspoken here.
Being new to the forum I might be told to mind my own business.
Maybe Ive got it all wrong. Believe me, it happens regularly!
Anyway Id love to think see what you all think.
Steve.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Steve.2010-

You are being outspoken.

Thank you! We thrive on that.

This forum is about looking at all angles and hearing all points of view.

Unlike some other forums, we manage to do that while remaining really civil to one another.

We will make a point, as a reminder if need be, but not belabor it with vitriolic rhetoric. At least thet's the plan...

The issue of noise with bikes is becoming pretty sensitive here stateside. We're facing regulations that are aimed at shutting our sport down due to excessive noise from bikes, so many of us go into tutt-tutt mode. ;^), but we try not to let it get out of hand.

I'm an outlaw biker, having heavily modified my intake and exhaust, but I tried hard to keep it within the spirit of the law, if not the letter, by being mindful of the noise level.

Your post was well considered and written and makes valid points.

Thanks! Do feel free to express your opinion here, we welcome that.

Tom

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Steve.2010-

You are being outspoken.

Thank you! We thrive on that.

This forum is about looking at all angles and hearing all points of view.

Unlike some other forums, we manage to do that while remaining really civil to one another.

We will make a point, as a reminder if need be, but not belabor it with vitriolic rhetoric. At least thet's the plan...

The issue of noise with bikes is becoming pretty sensitive here stateside. We're facing regulations that are aimed at shutting our sport down due to excessive noise from bikes, so many of us go into tutt-tutt mode. ;^), but we try not to let it get out of hand.

I'm an outlaw biker, having heavily modified my intake and exhaust, but I tried hard to keep it within the spirit of the law, if not the letter, by being mindful of the noise level.

Your post was well considered and written and makes valid points.

Thanks! Do feel free to express your opinion here, we welcome that.

Tom

+1 well said Tom.

Steve.2010 here in America (and elsewhere I would guess) noise is the number one complaint people have with motorcycles. Granted most of that is aimed at the Harely riders (who seem to equate a loud bike with a safer bike) but any loud motorcycle draws negative attention.

It's gotten to the point that cities have started enforcing noise ordinances specifically against motorcycles. My state California just passed a law mandating stock exhausts on all motorcycles. Off-road areas have been closed/restricted because of noise.

Motorcyclists have to have a change in mindset, loud is not going to tolerated anymore. You can argue that your exhaust is not that much louder than the stock but you aren't the arbitrator. The government here has established noise levels.

I speak up when the aftermarket muffler topic comes up because the subject IMHO needs to be framed properly. I love motorcycles. I've been riding 40+ years and have seen motorcycles loose "rights" steadily. Right now noise has motorcycling in the public spotlight and that's not a good thing.

Ride on...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have to agree with all that has been said. With that said I think the OP deserves an answer to his question.
what is the best slip on exhaust.Been looking at the v&h and also the dg any ideas!
The V&H XCR is decent as well as FMF Q2 and Q4. These exhausts meet the 96db sound limits. The DG from everything I have read is rediculous loud.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
What SLO said.

The SuperTrapps are also rediculously loud, even the quiet one. Un less,of course, you choke them down until they are less effective than the stock pipe. They'll still be louder than stock.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Steve.2010-
Tom, why don't you shut your damn pie hole! ;)

Great post man. Post(s) actually (Steve, way to come in swingin' man!). Really cool to see how this thread ended up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts