Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I am new to the forum. I just recently bought a 09 KLR. Got a little over 1000 miles on it. I live in Florida and was wondering which tires are the best in the rain? I drive all year around and in the summer I will have to drive through heavy rain pretty much every day on the way home from work. I do 99.95% street riding. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You'll get a lot of responses to this, but I ride about the same street/dirt ratio as you and it rains here a lot, too. I have an 08 and when the tires need to be changed I will probably be getting Avon Venoms.

Cheers,

LKJW

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, still on the stockers. Nice tires, actually. But I don't need the knobs. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are those in the rain? I got lucky so far and did not get wet yet. The winter in FL does not produce that much rain.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
The stockers are good in the rain. Surprisingly good. BUT...not as good as street tires would be and I sometimes like to take corners fairly...um...not-unagressively? ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
best tires for wet pavement

Susanne, just two cents from north ga.
I commute 40mi round trip, and get rained on occaissionally. In my opinion the stock tires were decent in the wet (and dry for that matter). When they wore out, I changed the rear at 2k mi to Avon's Distanzia, then the friont was needed and changed at abot 4k mi., also a Distanzia.
Now with 8k mi on they are both in good condition and I do like the way they
work on paved and gravel roads I travel.
They are very pavement biased. While pretty good on gravel, I can say they don't work well in wet red clay.
The avon are mid priced when compared to quite a list of available brands for the klr.
Keep in mind when selecting your choice of rubber that there are lots of tires out there to pick from. Most of them are going to be pretty good. If you do mostly paved roads, you can choose from a list of bias ratings. You may have seen tires listed with 50/50 street/dirt, or 90/10, 60/40 etc.
Don't scrimp on cheap tires.
I can answer more questions on tire awareness if you like, you are welcome to
pm to me

·
Registered
22 Posts
rainy tires?

I've been lurking on ADV for quite a while and the consensus I've picked up is the AVON Gripsters for a superb slab tire, including rain.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Welcome aboard Susanne.

No no, don't PM when sharing discussion. That keeps the rest of us from learning.

I agree with the Avon Gripsters but just installed Avon Distanzia, front & rear, for the winter. Hopefully they will perform well on wet surfaces.

In May I plan on changing to a more agressive tire for a Utah trip where I plan on riding some off-road (I usually ride 99.5% road) to experience the Nevada mountains, dirt/gravel roads around the Great Salt Lake, and hopefully some Utah red dirt. I am considering the TKC80 though might go back to the Gripster since I won't be riding any wet off-road.

Have we discussed tire air pressure, no, and that is important as tire selection.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I highly recommend Michelin Anakees and Pirelli Scorpion Trails. Excellent tyre for wet slab. Just keep over 35 psi if you want them to last 10,000+ miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i'm with Kent on this one. I have an 05 KLR, and the Avon Distanzia's are fantastic. I do about 99% street riding, and i haven't had a problem yet. Great tread pattern that whisks away water, and stays pretty glued to the pavement.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I have less than 500 miles on the Distanzia's and I am impressed. No wet pavement yet but they carve the corners and roll the straights on dry asphalt. As usual I want to feel the difference after the rear tire loses its roundness until then I will continue to ride the asphalt.

ps - in the past I have been a Avon Gripster user.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My 2 scents. LOL
As you might see by now there is no shortage of tires that preform well in rain on the KLR. The issue is how often do you encounter mud or debris in the water? As we all know a light coating of wet silt (clay), sand or small rocks can reduce control fast on the wrong tire! The Distanza, Gripster and Anakee are all very street oriented but don't preform well at all on slippery materials because they have alot of contact surface area. In contrast knoby tires give a rough ride on pavement but can maintain road contact and traction better through debris because there is less surface area.
For this reason a mix and match setup can often preform better in a wider range of conditions and allow for greater security on more surfaces. Maybe a stock front with an Anakee, Distanza or Gripster rear? Smooth ride in the rear with some traction up front where you steer. This setup wouldn't be great for wet mud roads or sandy beaches but will give you better control on slippery road surfaces. Of course there is a wide range of tires which mirror the stock front tire and might out preform it in day to day riding conditions. :16a:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a pavement rider, and for years have been using a Metzeler ME33 Laser 21" street tire on the front. These were originally for the Harley Softail Springer, but work well in the wet. The rear was usually a Bridgestone Battlax dual compound sportbike tire, which had a harder center tread and softer on the edges. This combination worked very well for the street, good enough to be able to drag footpegs in the corners.

Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse has the ME33 21 inchers on closeout right now for $52, and I just bought one to set aside for later. That's about a $130 tire at list price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts