Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

New to the forum, KLRs, and motorcycles. Always ridden human-powered bikes instead of motorcycles. Recently I've been itching to get a used KLR to ride into the hills for fishing trips, quick trips around town, etc., because my Dodge 2500 isn't the best suited vehicle for that kind of stuff.

Are there any year(s) in the KLR history that stand out as the best years for production of the bike? With my truck, there were a couple of years (03 & 04) of the Cummins engine that provided the highest MPG and still delivered ample HP and torque, had good tranny's, etc. This is the kind of thing that I am looking for in a KLR.

Also, is there an age/mileage limitation that I should be looking at - say nothing older than model year 2000 and no more than 20k miles?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
The watershed, IMHO, is . . . Gen 1 ('07 and earlier) and Gen 2 ('08 and beyond); matter of personal preference.

Mechanically, otherwise, not enough difference between yearly models to fill a typical tooth cavity.

Stand by for screams of, "MUST be made in JAPAN!" when, given globalization, even your D2500 was assembled in Mexico . . .

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hey Dude, welcome to the forum.
Any KLR is good in my book as Gen 1 and Gen 2 each have their strong and weak points. Many mechanical improvements have been made with the Gen 2's but the plastic on the Gen 1's doesn't break if you look at it wrong. Figure out what you want to spend and go from there. Either way, you'll have a blast.

·
Registered
269 Posts
decide gen I or gen II. more off rd go gen I more on go gen II. pick something stored inside without rusted bolts, so you can wrench on it. i'de go less than 15000mi. read up on common mods so you know what you are getting. IMO better to do your own mods to get it the way u like it. just sold my wife's 2006 with 5000km for $3500cdn and a case of beer.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
imthedude

There were enough changes in the '96 model year to warrant limiting the search to '96 and later. There were no really significant changes until the '08 model year, and that model year saw a myriad of changes.

From outward appearances they were cosmetic, but don't let that fool you. There were changes to the engine, suspension and swing arm to touch on the major changes. Essentially many of the changes were to make the KLR more road capable than prior models, somewhat at the expense of it's off-road worthiness.

As to mileage, not to worry on a well maintained bike. Many go well near 100K miles.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
08. You get to add oil ALL THE TIME. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
If you are the impatient type, don't buy a Gen I bike. You'll spend most of your time waiting for the Gen II riders to catch up. :23a:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I asked similar questions prior to getting mine. I planned to do more asphalt. The problem is my 08 does gravel so dang good I end up doing alot more offroad than intended.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The KLR is a lump of clay to shape and mold some are just lumpier

I think if I had to do it over again I would save the money and get a fully farkeled Gen I. Don't get me wrong I like my 09 and at my age the bike is more capable on or off road then I am. On matter what year you buy you have to look at a KLR as a tinker toy you can ride they all need work, the trick is buy used and let someone else do the hard stuff and you just personalize for your self.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got an 05 that I bought in March with 31K on it and I've put on at least a thousand more since then (mostly on 1 trip). It does great on fuel and on the dirt roads with some lumpy trails mixed it handles pretty well. I got a great deal on it too. This forum has a lot of great info on mods and maintenance too.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
decide gen I or gen II. more off rd go gen I more on go gen II. pick something stored inside without rusted bolts, so you can wrench on it. i'de go less than 15000mi. read up on common mods so you know what you are getting. IMO better to do your own mods to get it the way u like it. just sold my wife's 2006 with 5000km for $3500cdn and a case of beer.
Hey, wait a sec... What kind of beer was it? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts