Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a relay or something that clicks when I push the starter button. I get 13 Volts on the battery side but on the starter side it doesn't register anything close to that. It just clicks ! Obviously the motor doesn't turn over. 1st gen, 2003 KLR, all connections have been cleaned up.
What is this part ??

thanks for your help
Primesandwich

· Registered
355 Posts
I am a small engine mechanic for the county here in Michigan and I see this ALL the time with the Briggs Vanguard engines used on our mosquito foggers.
Relays click, but no substantial output. They may even read 12V on the out side, but voltage and amperage are two different animals. I have found that starter relay contacts on the output side tend to burn or corrode over the years and not pass enough current to make the starter motor run. In the old days, many relays had a tin cover with little tabs you could bend back and access the innards, clean the contacts with a point file and it would be good for a few more years til they corrode again. I suspect if you are hearing it click, the solenoid side is functioning, but the main contacts are compromised and not passing enough current. Modern motorcycle relays are cheap in both quality and price. I would try plugging in another relay. You said all connections are clean so unless your starter actually shit the bed, it is the relay.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a small engine mechanic for the county here in Michigan and I see this ALL the time with the Briggs Vanguard engines used on our mosquito foggers.
Relays click, but no substantial output. They may even read 12V on the out side, but voltage and amperage are two different animals. I have found that starter relay contacts on the output side tend to burn or corrode over the years and not pass enough current to make the starter motor run. In the old days, many relays had a tin cover with little tabs you could bend back and access the innards, clean the contacts with a point file and it would be good for a few more years til they corrode again. I suspect if you are hearing it click, the solenoid side is functioning, but the main contacts are compromised and not passing enough current. Modern motorcycle relays are cheap in both quality and price. I would try plugging in another relay. You said all connections are clean so unless your starter actually shit the bed, it is the relay.
Thank you PaddyD, I have ordered a new relay, It used to click a few time then engage the starter and crank the engine but I guess it died over the last winter.

thanks again Primesandwich

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
There are 2 relays. A low amp starter button relay controls the High Amp starter relay.
Did you 'feel' for which relay was NOT clicking or Not, because it is instantaneous of the two?

Reactions: halogenx

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 2 relays. A low amp starter button relay controls the High Amp starter relay.
Did you 'feel' for which relay was NOT clicking or Not, because it is instantaneous of the two?
Mr. Westman, I’ve used some of your mods on my bike, thanks for those. I can feel the clicking on the large relay that has wires coming from the battery & going to the starter. I didn’t know there were two. Where is the other ??
thanks Primesandwich

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
If the large relay is clicking the low amp button relay is functioning. It is in the round rubber holster directly under the large relay. Seems kinda' redundant, doesn't it.
But it allows smaller more flexible wires to the handlebar control pod.

But let me ask this, does the battery side voltage drop to the same amount when you press the starter button?
You may simply have a BAD battery. May have voltage but may NOT have enough ampere flow.

Can you connect a large jumper wire to the starter terminal under the carb & touch the other end directly to the battery positive?
How small or how strong of spark does it make during that contact?
Did the starter motor turn the engine over?
Watch your volt meter as you do this connection a second time, if the starter motor didn't turn over.

· Registered
3 Posts
If the large relay is clicking the low amp button relay is functioning. It is in the round rubber holster directly under the large relay. Seems kinda' redundant, doesn't it.
But it allows smaller more flexible wires to the handlebar control pod.

But let me ask this, does the battery side voltage drop to the same amount when you press the starter button?
You may simply have a BAD battery. May have voltage but may NOT have enough ampere flow.

Can you connect a large jumper wire to the starter terminal under the carb & touch the other end directly to the battery positive?
How small or how strong of spark does it make during that contact?
Did the starter motor turn the engine over?
Watch your volt meter as you do this connection a second time, if the starter motor didn't turn over.
Ok, Hooked up a large jumper cable to positive lead on battery, touched other end to post on starter. Got a good spark & the engine turned over just fine. Rechecked the battery voltage afterword & it was 12.85Volts. Are there any other checks I need to do before the large relay comes in the mail on monday or tuesday ?? thanks for the help Primesandwich

· Registered
6,250 Posts
Just a, "fun fact:" The positive cable from the battery post to the starter relay is NOT fused. Hot all the time.

Diagnostic trick: Jump the battery positive cable to the starter motor; if starter turns over, problem is in either starter relay (big) or starter circuit relay (small), or in associated switches and wiring (including safety switch matrix logic).

I have spoken. :)

· Registered
3 Posts
Just a, "fun fact:" The positive cable from the battery post to the starter relay is NOT fused. Hot all the time.

Diagnostic trick: Jump the battery positive cable to the starter motor; if starter turns over, problem is in either starter relay (big) or starter circuit relay (small), or in associated switches and wiring (including safety switch matrix logic).

I have spoken. :)
Thanks to all you guys who helped me fix my bike. The relay arrived yesterday & I installed it this afternoon. Bike cranked right up & runs just like always !!!

thanks again Primesandwich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts