Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,776 Posts
I always get a slight chuckle out of those 3 letters, Lmk.

Lander Marine & Kawasaki used to be "The Oldest Kawasaki Dealership in the USA" for 52 years.

·
Registered
151 Posts
while i'm now living in san jose, i grew up on the big island from '79 - '91. i rode only street back then, a few roads might be especially fun to try on a klr;

chain of craters - it's paved but, packed with smooth sweepers.

mauna loa strip - national park side, watch for on-coming traffic, bumpy pavement & tight corners.

mauna loa observatory road - must be real dual sport stuff, we bottomed out a nissan sentra rental in deep gravel near the beginning and came to our senses, i've never been...

cane haul / kealaiki road between pahala & naalehu - wanna get away? broken pavement and nice views of one of the least developed parts of the island

mauna kea summit - could a klr handle 13k+ feet? would the telescope protestors at the base allow passage? if yes to both, other worldly views if the clouds part!

waipio valley - if you and your brakes survive the descent into, a trip back into old hawaii with lots of stream crossings, be aware of the private property.

caveat - i only rode a few of these with my '87 vfr while i lived there. there's a reason you see a lot of 4wd trucks despite the gas prices.

i'm visiting the folks next month and would love to hear some of your picks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on, those sound like some amazing adv rides, ill try get some vids and pics when i go, I appreciate the info whole heartily. Mahalo nui loa!

·
Premium Member
10,776 Posts
You from big island?
No. I've lived all of my life with-in 10 miles of my birth. But I have been to the Pacific and Caribbean shores twice each. Almost to the Atlantic shore once.
Hold your cursor over a members name to possibly learn more about them.

Reactions: Baylakai
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.