Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well don't let the title mislead ya, really this BIG ride was around 15 miles round trip. It's amazing to me how we all want to go other places to see stuff when all you really have to do is look right out your own door, with that said here I go. When we moved to Scottsville in 1970 the train still ran to town out of TN, but by the end of the 1970's they had shut it down. The railroad was laid here around the end of the 1800's, and after the turn of the century the oil fields were booming here in the big county of Allen, and the railroad helped even more, for those of you who don't know YES there is oil in KY we even have a community called Petroleum. I had always heard of the tunnel since I was a kid, but you know how it goes you just never go, and check it out, well today I did. The tunnel lays on one of my customers properties, one end of it was shut off by the state, cause they said the road was sinking slowly. It's kind of a pain to get down to cause it's a pretty deep cut on both sides. Here are a few pics. I hope you like'em.

Looking towards the tunnel.

Closer to the entrance.

Some supports to hold the rock they cut through at the entrance.

A few shots inside.

Here is looking out from the back where it was sealed.

More to come.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part II

Here is the church sign of the church right next to the tunnel.

Two shots showing how deep the cut is.

After leaving the tunnel I thought I would try to ride some of the old railroad bed, thanks to the kids in the area, and their 4 wheelers it was like a super highway to some of the stuff I have ridden on the "Red Mule". Here's some more pics.

Coming back down the railroad this caught my eye along a pond.

Get a look at this beaver dam, and I thought they were NO WHERE close to my house.

My last picture is for Brandon, that way he can say I "tried" to get "artsy fartsy".

My short ride turned into a really good time, not to mention the weather in the 70's was great, even though I really like cooler weather better. I told Doyle, that as soon as it worked out we would get back over there, and my two redneck friends from TN are welcome to come too, anyone else for that matter.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Jon isn't going to be happy with you.. lol. He posted on our forum that he wanted to ride yesterday. Although he did post quite late!

How long is that train bed? I love that kind of stuff.

Similar to you, I have a few possible rail beds that I need to check and just haven't done so.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon isn't going to be happy with you.. lol. He posted on our forum that he wanted to ride yesterday. Although he did post quite late!

How long is that train bed? I love that kind of stuff.

Similar to you, I have a few possible rail beds that I need to check and just haven't done so.

Jon, and Brandon worked on some single track yesterday over at Brandon's in laws, so I know he had something to do. That railroad bed is around a mile I guess, I should have checked my odometer. Most all of the old bed is now fenced off, or where it is not it's so full of undergrowth you can't get through it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part III

I met these two rough riders today, and took them back to the tunnel, as well as the railroad bed.

Doyle, and his son Toby.

No ride is complete without a picture of the trusty steeds.

Here comes Doyle hauling some ice cream to good girls, and boys.

Toby is tearin' it up on the Sherpa. You can't see him in the pic, but Doyle is right behind Toby gettin' schooled by the "kid".

Nothin' beats a father, son pic.

I wish we had about 25 miles of this old railroad we could ride, but it's just like yesterday, it's gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts