Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Big Sur

9K views 52 replies 8 participants last post by  Mark B (4) 
#1 ·
I am considering an overnight ride down to the Big Sur area- Aug. 8 & 9. Camp somewhere in that area, and then riding home.

Thinking about heading down Hwy 1, finding a route that cuts East, camping somewhere, and then heading back North in the morning.

It looks like Coast Ridge rd. goes almost across the mountains back toward Hwy 101, but looks like it might fizzle out. There are also a number of other roads further East- but not sure that any connect.

Has anyone done this? If there are any roads that link the two areas, are they marked or easy enough to follow for someone unfamiliar?

Anyone want to try it?

#4 ·
Hmmmm...that sounds awesome. Tech days are awesome. I love Big Sur. I got some thinking to do...

#8 ·
Darin,
Any time in the morning. It looks like about 5-6 hours down. If you end up going, we could meet somewhere near SF where our paths cross conveniently.

I have to throw down the lockjaw disclaimer: I ride without a lot of detailed planning.

At this point, the only solid plan is for me to see Big Sur on the bike. I would like to stop by a USFS station and see about the dirt road options for next time. There is a road- Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd. that cuts back over to the East. Right now that is the idea for that part unless rangers tell me that there's a better way. I'll try to reserve a campsite- but choices are slim. Have no idea about a route back.

#10 ·
HMMM. I LIKE the lockjaw disclaimer! Wife just reminded me this is our anniversary weekend. Didn't this happen last year?!?! I might still be able to roll though and there is plenty of 'turn up this road' camping...

#13 ·
You gotta see it to believe it, man. One of my favorite places.

#16 ·
OK..........

DanBklr, and myself are total maybe's (how's that for almost pregnant) If'n you want some fellow riders to camp with. I have the Platypuss full of libations. Could be a bad-ass trip. Hate to blow the tech-day though, but ride'n sounds good right now, I need it

MB4

#21 ·
And WOW! Just made reservations for the wife, and I at the Prospect Hotel for Labor day weekend. They remembered all of us! got the Red Carpet treatment from Fred, Karen, and Margo. All are waiting for more Vino from Segeshio. I am going to bring the a bottle of VENOM!

#22 ·
Wow. I am so confused. Didn't we talk about going, Dave? It's the 8th-9th right? I'd rather ride than tech, too. Camping on the sly? Or is there a hotel involved. Or are there multiple conversations going on here like inside my head? ;)

If it is the 8th, I have been tentatively cleared. As long as its on the cheap bush camping.

#23 ·
Confusion is in the mind of the beholder.....

The ride is on the 8th & 9th. Camping- possibly Rambo style as campgrounds seem hard to come by on this sort of notice. Deputy Dan- bring your gun and badge- we may need them.

Mark- there are plenty of restaurants & stores along the way. Should not be a problem.
The USFS road looks to be 1-2 hours- but I don't know for sure. I figure we can talk to a ranger and get a map- then decide if we want to stay on the pavement or not.

As far as this thing goes, I have two days to ride- I am open to any route suggestions or changes. Don't really care where we go. So, take a look oin Google Maps and see what interests you. I just want some beer near the coast.

#24 ·
Confusion cleared. I'll PM you.

#26 ·
Ok...

Just so I have this straight.

8am my house.

Hook up with Lockjaw 9 am in Saustown.

Chrissy Field at 9:30, hook up with two other riders there.

Blow down to Big Sur. Two other riders out at Capitola.

Yes?

#35 ·
Agreed! Had a blast. Gonna sleep good tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.