Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I laid a bike down it was my Gen 1. I decided to take one last little side road excursion before dark and about 100 yards into the road it turned to sand and I obviously wasn't prepared for that. It was a very slow speed decel/laydown.

It was a solo trip so no help was available, I tried to lift it and it just kept sinking into the sand (in addition to being so heavy), I was able to jamb some dead logs/branches under the tires and use what little I had left to right it. I carry some mule tape with me but it wasn't long enough to get it around a tree so I'm going to put another long length of it in the bags.

Otherwise a great trip up on Plumas National Forest.

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
I crashed mine once. I was all alone, miles from anyone. When I went through the first mud hole, all was good but the second unexpected one came up a little quick. I was a little fast and sideways going in. It didn't go well. After getting up covered in stinky mud, walking in knee deep to get the bike, dragging it out of the mud up to the bank, finally getting the bike upright and the FN mirror out from under my jacket where it decided it would go while lifting the beast, the GPS displayed something like "Do you want to set as a favorite location". I just had to laugh. Garmin has a sense of humor I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Two Sundays ago, I was riding my KX500 in these Rocky Mtns above Lander WY. It had rained as we were un-loading / changing cloths.

Any ways, at about 6.75 miles into our ride with a diversion onto a game trail/cow trail/motorcycle approved route which my new riding acquaintance had not yet ridden, I mis-judged the angle and slipperyness of a 3 inch log laying at an angle across the trail. The trail was not wide enough to zig right, then left to cross the log perpendicular and I didn't get the front tire lofted over it.

I've never crashed SO Hard at 10mph in near 50 years of riding! I am thankful for the plastic chest & back protector which I wear while riding that bike.
I did not break my left clavicle (shoulder blade), but I still hurt clear thru to the front of my chest. I had suggested that my riding partner take the lead on the cow-trail.

I did manage to lift the bike back up-right, and drag the front wheel back up onto the trail, with right arm only. Twisted the front forks & handlebars back into reasonable alignment. Started the beast and made a 'K' turn on the side hill trail and then wait for partners return. Then rode back to the truck. The ER doctor is a friend / customer of mine also, so I did not have to hear the normal motorcycle lectures. I had told the Admissions clerk that I slipped on a wet log, which was 100% true.

Reactions: JStocks
1 - 3 of 3 Posts