Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I built this Excel file a while ago. Here's what it does:

Sprocket Ratio
This table shows the sprocket ratios for the various front and rear sprocket combinations.

Gearing Selector
Cell D14 is going to tell you what the change in gearing is going to be. A negative number means your gearing is going to be lower;
a positive number means the gearing will be higher

Effect on Chain Length Adjustment
This table will tell you how much you are going to have to move the axle to maintain the chain slack you had prior to changing the
gearing. A negative number means you will be moving the axle backwards, a positive number means the axle moves forward. The
shaded areas indicate what is likely to be possible without adding (or removing) links to the chain.

Indicated Speed Change
Based on the gearing you selected, this is what you can expect to see as indicated speed in 5th gear.

Actual Speed Change
Based on the gearing you selected, this is what you can expect the actual speed to be in 5th gear. The spreadsheet is using the
average of you observed actual speeds to derive the actual speed shown in the table.

RPM at Speed – Revised Gearing, Actual Speed
This table shows the calculated actual speeds you should see with your revised gearing. This table is useful for checking to see if
your revised gearing will have you at comfortable RPM at common speed limits, and for comparing to the stock gearing table below.

Speedometer Correction
A table of corrected speedometer readings.

Since we can't upload Excel files, I had to attach it as a .zip file. It should self-extract when you download it.

T

Attachments

Reactions: Sonoma

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Tom,
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
Thank you for putting this info in.. I like the KLR's stock gearing for my riding, but I'm changing the ratio on my Triumph and this info's great!!!

Thank you!!

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paper -

Glad you might get some use out of it.

Perhaps I should go back and make the transmission ratios a user-input and add a sixth gear. That would make it less KLR specific.

But a bit later, perhaps. I'm off to Irwindale Raceway for an Antique Motorcycle Show and Swapmeet complete with umbrella girls and hot dogs.

The transmission ratio table is hidden in cells K69-K73.

T

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is this file still good?
I can't seem to get it open...

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gad. Something wonky with the .zip file.

I'll try to get it fixed.

Sorry!

T

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I hope it's fixed.

Please have another go at it.

T

·
Registered
69 Posts
Still no go, Tom.
Maybe someone else try to open it....could just be me. lol

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Darn it.

It works OK for me, but then I'm the one that compressed it, so it would naturally work on my machine. I used Windows to do the compression.

The dumb thing is that the Excel file is only 58Kb, yet I can't upload it because the forum won't accept .xls files.

Bah.

T

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmm, must be me then.
I'm trying to use Winzip to open. It shows as an invalid archive? I saved and sent it to the wife and her machine wouldn't open it either. Maybe I'm still on double secret probation as a new guy. lol

All I was really looking for, was info on going to a 44 tooth sprocket, but now I REALLY want to see this secret file. I'll keep working on it. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I zipped it with Windows, so you should be able to unzip it just by double clicking it.

Of course, you're an intelligent being and you've already tried that and so has your wife and thus I'm merely being a boring and boorish Captain Obvious by even suggesting it but there you have it all in the spirit of trying to be helpful.

Speaking of being helpful, if you can't open it I'll e-mail it to you.

T

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yup, it's my pc.
Working on a fix. Thanks for the email and your work on this table, Tom. Good info here

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a mistake in the "Effect on Chain Length Adjustment" table. It was really a "How much length do I have to add to my chain to keep the wheel in the same spot" table.

Duh.

I've corrected the table and uploaded a new version (3).

T

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I love my new 16/42 setup for the highway commute.
Shouldn't be any problem in the loose offroad slop. First gear and the clutch have plenty of yank.

Thanks fer the thread,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're welcome and I'm glad you've found it useful.

Tom

1 - 20 of 39 Posts