Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Any thoughts on an inexpensive first boot?
Other suggestions?
A couple more things on the price.

There was a guy who attempted Everest multiple times, and he was on a budget. He skimped on gloves on one of the early attempts, and ended up losing a finger. I remember him kicking himself to the effect of, "Why didn't I spend $100 more on gloves? It seems like such a small amount compared to a finger."

Now, of course it's wise to consider, like you are doing, that just because a boot costs $250 doesn't mean it's worth $250. What if a $100 standard boot offers superior protection? Believe me, I perform this calculus with practically everything in my life. "Do I need a $180 tire, or will a k761 do it for me?" "Do I need the $30 wind guards for my barkbusters, or can I make better ones with a $3 plastic trash can and some zip ties?" It's totally valid. But given that motorcycle boots are special-purpose designed and built for a motorcycle crash, it's unlikely that a non-moto boot will outperform it in a motorcycle crash. But it might... Will the $100 boot be good enough? Well, that all depends on how you plan to crash it. :)

And I at least know if I end up in the hospital with a crushed ankle, I did all I could to protect it, and I won't be out of commission wishing I'd spent $100 more on boots.

Before I got my bike, I told myself this: "You are required to spend $1200 on safety gear. So hurry up and spend it." And I did (I might have spent a little less, but it was about a grand—boots were $250). Lots of places give you a discount if you just passed the MSF course, so use that. Some will let you apply it retroactively to a point.

The deductible on my health insurance is $4000, so I prefer to stay out of the emergency room if at all possible, because it's going to cost me $4000 the minute I get there—more if it's out of network. With that in mind, the gear could easily pay for itself in a single crash. Your insurance situation might be different.

For the course, I wore my hiking boots. It's what I had, and they said it was OK, so there we are. And it was fine for the class. Heck, $20 work boots from Target are probably fine for the class, and any other time you're riding less than 20 MPH on an asphalt closed course with a lightweight 250 CC bike.

·
Registered
342 Posts
FWIW, I was wearing "motorcycle specific" boots when I high sided on the interstate at 75 mph. Broke all five metatarsals in my left foot. But my ankle was OK. And in only 4 short months, I could walk again. And ride again. I now wear Sidi boots, for the extra padding, support, and protection they offer. Protection of the lower leg and foot are paramount. Obviously, sneakers are better than flip flops, boots better than sneakers, and stiff, armored motorcycle boots are better than regular boots. And top quality motorcycle boots are better than run of the mill, "motorcycle" boots.

I recommend the best Sidi (or equivalent) boots you can buy. You really cannot afford to do less if you crash. Of course, if you don't ever crash, it really doesn't matter. But Who takes that bet????

41 - 42 of 42 Posts