Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I picked up a 2005 KLR650 that has say since August of 2011 (was in an accident that damaged the front fairing/gauges/handle bars/tank.

After rebuilding the gunked up carb/new battery/spark plug/fluids. It smokes a bit on start up..sometimes for example started last night (no smoke really) started this morning (no smoke) then started this afternoon and it smoked for 5 seconds or so then went away. Seems to do it kind of at random. My guess would be valve seals but do you think it is worth tearing down or getting some heat cycles and miles on it might loosen everything up again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I don't have a clue as to your location, so I can't guess about your local humidity. But I would suggest the possibility that the cylinder had some light surface rusting, from setting with-out proper storage oil.

The start up smoke may stop or not. And if it uses a little bit, we will call it Normal. 1 ounce per 100 miles would still be great, for a stock bike.

The factory says 31 ounces per 1000 miles is still considered 'normal'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a clue as to your location, so I can't guess about your local humidity. But I would suggest the possibility that the cylinder had some light surface rusting, from setting with-out proper storage oil.

The start up smoke may stop or not. And if it uses a little bit, we will call it Normal. 1 ounce per 100 miles would still be great, for a stock bike.

The factory says 31 ounces per 1000 miles is still considered 'normal'.

Im around the Seattle area so we have humidity. Was stored indoors. Power is great, starts up great. Ill just continue to monitor it i suppose. Things may need to work back into each other etc.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
yep, ride it and monitor usage.....keep the oil level at the very top of the sight glass. People often opine that the valve stem seals are causing them problems but it's actually very rare on a KLR.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts