Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the KLR world having just purchased an '08. I'm 6'6", 240 and would like some advice on setting the bike up.

I saw the post on risers so will be getting some of those ordered.
Footpegs-is there a lowering kit or other pegs available?
Taller seats?
Windshield taller guys use?
How about bike settings? I don't have an owners manual yet so what adjustments should I make?

Thanks for the help!

·
Administrator
8,600 Posts
I'm new to the KLR world having just purchased an '08. I'm 6'6", 240 and would like some advice on setting the bike up.

I saw the post on risers so will be getting some of those ordered.
Footpegs-is there a lowering kit or other pegs available?
Taller seats?
Windshield taller guys use?
How about bike settings? I don't have an owners manual yet so what adjustments should I make?

Thanks for the help!
RECON -

Don't take this wrong, but you're way to friggin' big for the suspension.

And so am I. You've got a couple of inches on me, but we're in the same weight range. You, know, Clydesdales!

You should call/look into Cogent Dynamics. Rick has a package which includes Racetech Gold valves and progressively wound springs for the front, and he will custom build a rear shock for the rear based upon your size and how and where you ride. It's not cheap, but it;' gotta be better than just setting the rear to max preload. My set-up is on the way.

As to the rest of it, I made my own seat, a copy of a Corbin flat, that I added a wee bit of height to. I haven't had to worry about any of the other stuff, so can't comment with first hand info.

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom (my fellow Clydesdale!),

Thanks much for the ideas, us 'knuckle draggin ape arms' gotta watch out for each other! I'll check into the suspension rebuilds like you mentioned but might be down the road a bit, gotta get luggage and some other priority items first, hopefully I don't blow the suspension too soon! :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I installed the Rox risors very recently, feel great while seated. Im still hunched over a bit while standing. I also went to a 14t front sprocket to haul my arse up the hills. I dont plan to use the bike for much on road use, so havent really considered a bigger windshield. I did add a airhawk cushion which raises the seat a bit. My nerf bars came with highway pegs, which are actually more comfy then they look.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
You guys make me feel like a midget (can I say that?) little person at 6 ft.
I needed to stretch out a bit too. I just saw yesterday about a dude (on the
riser thread, 08+ mods) who shortens the footpeg mounts by taking out a section
then welding them back together. I'm just making lowering brackets cause I like to do
that stuff. Ordered 1 1/2" risers and should be here Monday. I just slide back on the
seat a little but it's cramped riding the wife around. Getting one of those ATV gel
seat covers to raise the seat an inch or so too. The lower center main spring link
is C shaped and if flipped upside down should raise the rear 3" LOL I was just
toying with the idea. Looks like it'll work tho, and still mount right up to the side
brackets (which of course I'm painting black. My home made highway bars are
pretty forward. Almost straight-legging while riding. Used mountain bike handlebars
with those elbow rest thingies with Schwinn Stingray footpegs bolted through.
(Those newer chopper-style stingrays, not the one's we grew up on.) The pegs fold
up and down. That assembly is attached to the forward engine mount.

Also, it's a pretty dramatic drop, but the footpegs can be reversed to the other side
and flipped upside down to really lower them into the weeds. The pegs would
have to be turned over and remounted upside down in the flange. I don't even know
if the shifter and brake lever can go low enough for it to work.

Just thinking about stuff,
CheapMarkAndTimeToGoToTheJob.

·
Administrator
8,600 Posts
Tom (my fellow Clydesdale!),

Thanks much for the ideas, us 'knuckle draggin ape arms' gotta watch out for each other! I'll check into the suspension rebuilds like you mentioned but might be down the road a bit, gotta get luggage and some other priority items first, hopefully I don't blow the suspension too soon! :)
For the near4 future you'll probably want to crank the rear preload up to 4 or 5 and then play with the rebound adjustment a wee bit to get it to do the best it can for you.

Only turn the preload clockwise. It's a nut up near the top of the shock at the left side.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
The lower center main spring link
is C shaped and if flipped upside down should raise the rear 3" LOL I was just
toying with the idea. Looks like it'll work tho, and still mount right up to the side
brackets (which of course I'm painting black.
CheapBassTurd did you ever end up giving this a try? If so, I would love to see a picture of how it turned out and hear your thoughts on whether it was worth it. I'm 6' 4" and around 210 (though that will change at Thanksgiving) and I would love to get all the added height and suspension travel I can out of my bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts