Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if anybody had any ideas of what would be safe to restart my bike after storage. The only thing I did was to put gas stabil. I will have to charge my battery, other than that is it safe to turn it over with the same oil. By the way it's a 2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 with 50 miles before storage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to any and all the help.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I don't know much about winter storage having never done it, but why not change the oil just for the heck of it? Easy and cheap.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Lots of differing views on storage... Some say keep the tank full to avoid condensation, others say to empty it. Fuel stabilizer is a good idea, as is changing the oil. I used to shut the petcock off on my Shadow and then idle it till it stalled... No fuel in the bowls to varnish up was my thinking. Never had a problem with the bike in the spring. Battery should be maintained during the winter months with either a battery tender or trickle charge it once a month or so. I think the owners manual has a section on storage, I would have a boo at that as well.

Cheers,
Stew

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I fill fuel tank full with added stabilizer. Before putting it up in storage I warm up the bike so that the fuel stabilzer is in the carb too.
Change the oil.
I remove battery and keep in warm place on charger.
Cover bike.

In the spring I syphon the fuel out of the tank and put in fresh fuel. The old fuel goes in the wife's car. :) Sometimes I drain the old fuel out of the carb bowl but have found it isn't really necessary.

I then pop in the charged battery, hook a booster battery up to it and fire it up.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I don't know much about winter storage having never done it,

Comments like this are not welcome in winterization threads. Please show some sympathy!!!:16:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I wanted to see if anybody had any ideas of what would be safe to restart my bike after storage. The only thing I did was to put gas stabil. I will have to charge my battery, other than that is it safe to turn it over with the same oil. By the way it's a 2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 with 50 miles before storage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to any and all the help.
50 total miles on the bike?? AKA- Pretty much new??

Before starting, toss the battery charger on it for a few hours to top it off, and start it.

It's going to stink for a while, until you get the Stabil burnt out of it, but it's not bad..

Enjoy your new bike!!:)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Comments like this are not welcome in winterization threads. Please show some sympathy!!!:16:
Sorry. ;) It is raining today. :ashamed0001:

Hey, great call about starting the bike to get the stabilizer in the carb. I bet a lot of people skip that simple step.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was 19 when I first saw snow in Fort Sill Oklahoma.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts